Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Unix running on a Picasso II+  (Read 3243 times)

Description:

Online JeffTopic starter

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
Amiga Unix running on a Picasso II+
« on: November 23, 2007, 05:28:03 PM »
Well it took a while to figure this out, but it works! I put together a quick list of what I had to do to make it run.

1. Install your Picasso II or supported graphics card.  Look in the archive documents to see a complete list of supported boards. I used a Picasso II+ and it works fine.

2. Start with a working patched Amiga Unix 2.1p2a installation

3. Run olinit and xinit to make sure they are set up on your machine and working.

4. Download the SVGA Drivers and gunzip the file X11R5_bin.tar.gz to end up with a file named  X11R5_bin.tar. Write this file to an empty tape on your A3070 (I did this on the Amiga side of the machine using BTN)

5. Copy the file install.svga from the SVGA_Drivers archive to the Amix machine (I put it in /home) and run it "sh install.svga" I used an MS-DOS formatted 720k floppy to copy the file from the Amiga side of the machine with the command "mcopy A:INSTALL.SVG /home/install.svga

6. This should have left 3 files in /var/tmp. These will be deleted later so copy them to /home or somewhere else if you want to save them. The only file you will need at this point is named installR5. This needs a quick edit with vi to comment out the command on the 5th line that reads mt fsf.  The tar command will not find the file on your tape if you do not do this. The modified file should look like this;

#!/sbin/sh

cd /usr
mt rew
#mt fsf
tar xf /dev/rmt/4h 2>/dev/null
sync
sync

ln -s X11R5 X

cd /usr/include
ln -s /usr/X11R5/includeX11 X11
cd /usr/bin
ln -s /usr/X11R5/bin X11
cd /usr/lib
ln -s /usr/X11R5/lib X11

ln -s X11/libX11.so.5.0 libX11.so.5.0
ln -s X11/libXaw.so.5.0 libXaw.so.5.0
ln -s X11/libXext.so.5.0 libXext.so.5.0
ln -s X11/libXi.so.5.0 libXi.so.5.0
ln -s X11/libXmu.so.5.0 libXmu.so.5.0
ln -s X11/libXt.so.5.0 libXt.so.5.0
ln -s X11/liboldX.so.5.0 liboldX.so.5.0

cd /usr/X/bin
rm X
ln -s Xsvga X

echo "Edit XsvgaConfig in your home directory for approriate ViewMode!
Make sure /usr/bin/X11 is in your path or the X-Server could not be found."

7. Run the modified installR5 script with the command "sh installR5". This will copy the files from the 30 meg .tar file that you put on the tape to your hard drive.  The binaries will go in a new directory named /usr/X11R5/bin

8. Change into the directory /etc and back up your profile (cp profile profile.bak) and use vi to modify the path statement to include "/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R5/bin" It should look something like this;

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/etc:/usr/ucb:/usr/amiga/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R5/bin:/usr/public/bin:/usr/hosts${Xb}

9. Change to the directory named /usr/sys and run the command "make". This will compile a new kernel with the changes needed to run the linked-in "Xsvga" X-server. The new kernel file will be in the /usr/sys directory and it will be named "relocunix". Copy the new kernel file to your /stand directory and run the command "make bootpart KERNEL=relocunix" Shutdown and reboot the machine to load the new Kernel and all the rest of the changes.

10. Locate the file named XsvgaConfig in the root directory and do a quick edit with vi to select the screenmode that you desire. Note do not choose a frequency or resolution that is higher than the capabilities of your monitor, there will be "no sanity checks".

11. Congratulations! Grab a well deserved cup of coffee and start playing around with some of the binaries in the /usr/X11R5/bin directory.

PS. A couple of last minute thoughts. The keymap seems to be screwed up now, but only in "X". The "y and z" keys are swapped, and a "/ is now SHIFT-8", there are several others. Does anyone know how to fix it so the standard American Amiga keyboard layout is correct?  Although I have a strong Amiga backround, I am not a Unix person. Even with the directions provided in the Gateway drivers it took me a couple days to figure this out and get it running. Let me know if you have any comments, or spot any errors. Thanks to Klaus, Failure, and everyone else for providing the files, drivers, and information to get it all running.

Check out my screen shots on amiga.org to see what it looks like. You will find them here;
http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?n=2225=38
http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?n=2226=38

Have Fun,
Jeff

Offline AmireX

• Show only replies by AmireX
Re: Amiga Unix running on a Picasso II+
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 06:22:37 PM »
Thank you for the information. My A3k is running a TIGA card now, nice but boring  :-)

Online JeffTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 07:17:27 PM »
I wish I had the tiga card, that's the impossible to find Lowell card correct? Do you have X running on it?

Jeff

Offline AmireX

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 08:20:10 PM »
Yes, I scanned eBay almost 2 years for it and 3 or 4 month ago it came up and is working very well. I have X running on it and have the same problems with the keyboard like you do.

Anyhow I will try to port the NetBSD CV64 driver to Amix, even I'm not a unix driver expert. This time I study some old Unix SR4 programmer books that will hopefully help  :-)

If this will ever work we can talk about the tiga card  ;-)

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 10:41:50 PM »
This is information definitely worth posting to the Amix Wiki.

Online JeffTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 11:06:21 PM »
I am not authorized to edit the Amiga Wiki, but you certainly may add it if you can. I am going to send it to Failure as soon as he pops back in. He was requesting the information.

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 07:53:59 AM »

Jeff wrote:

Write this file to an empty tape on your A3070 (I did this on the Amiga side of the machine using BTN)
Amix machine

Well, I've been interested in Unix on the Amiga for years, but never had a chance to get my hands on an Amiga setup that would be able to run UNIX (AMIX).

Today I own an fully expanded A4000PPC with Mediator, Voodoo4, soundcard, NIC, USB2.0 highspeed, UW-SCSI-HD's, DVD-RW and tape streamer - just to name a few.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to get AMIX working on that beast.

Appearently the OS comes on tapes?

Most likely I can't use those tapes in my tape streamer?

Is it possible to get the OS from the tapes onto a different medium - e.g. CDs/DVDs - and install it from there?
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline AmireX

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 08:41:11 AM »

Dandy wrote:

Today I own an fully expanded A4000PPC with Mediator, Voodoo4, soundcard, NIC, USB2.0 highspeed, UW-SCSI-HD's, DVD-RW and tape streamer - just to name a few.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to get AMIX working on that beast.

Appearently the OS comes on tapes?

Most likely I can't use those tapes in my tape streamer?

Is it possible to get the OS from the tapes onto a different medium - e.g. CDs/DVDs - and install it from there?

It's a shame, Amix has some special parts that are compiled for the MMU of an 68030. These code parts are not available as sources inside the installation. The whole Amix source code is (Commodore like) no more available  :cry:

My A3k had a CS'060 built in before I installed Amix. Now I downgraded to a Blizzard 4030 with an 68030 at 50 MHz. This is a high price to run an antique OS  :-)

Online JeffTopic starter

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 01:34:26 PM »

This is a high price to run an antique OS  :-)

That sounds like Amiga all right:-D

Offline huronking

• Show only replies by huronking
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 03:28:20 PM »
Actually,  I have an A3000UX with the A2410 board.

The Quantum drive crapped out so I lost the Unix...
I just have 3.9 in it now.

No tape drive though, and no tapes anyway. Would be cool
to get running again though.

Offline Failure

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Failure
    • http://awhitlock.net/
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 07:44:31 PM »
Looks like I'm late to the party.  This is great, the Picasso II(+) is a card that can actually be found relatively easily, as opposed to the A2410.  Thanks a lot for taking the time to document your efforts!

If you don't mind I'd like to wikify what you wrote, providing a link back to the original thread as well.  Authorizing users on the site is proving to be a pain without email notifications since the site is on my ADSL now.  It used to be racked at my former employer.  When people download AMIX stuff  now it really saps my torrents etc, heh.

It may be time to warm up the eBay search list again for a new video card :-)
You can\'t spell evil without "vi"
AMIX Wiki | AmixBP

Offline Tahoe

• Show only replies by Tahoe
    • http://www.amiga4ever.nl
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 07:52:43 PM »
Seeing the Amix Wiki is a fantastic source of information I would gladly offer to host it for you....
Greetings from Wilnis, The Netherlands
Now owning ALL Amiga models and most; if not all; flavours of them...My Amiga Museum

Offline jlariv8957

• Show only replies by jlariv8957
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 08:44:58 PM »
1 or 2 years ago I found a website called (AFAIK) MMHEART who had plenty amiga/amix informations and some archives and docs to install Amix without tape.

I can't found the website now but fortunately I have a offline copy of this website.

If you are interessed I can look if I have the archives...

Online JeffTopic starter

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 11:46:59 AM »
Go ahead and add it to the wiki with my blessing, and feel free to edit as necessary.

Jeff

Offline Failure

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Failure
    • http://awhitlock.net/
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
Well I put a draft up during my lunch break.  Just minor edits and I filled in some inferred commands.  Clickie here.

@Tahoe: I sent a PM, thanks for the kind offer.

@jlariv8957: mmheart is where I pulled the 2.01 and 2.03 tape stuff from originally.  I had emailed him a couple times after the site disappeared...no bounces, but no reply either.
You can\'t spell evil without "vi"
AMIX Wiki | AmixBP