Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Updated still no resolution though...Warning! Windoze question  (Read 1483 times)

Description:

Offline mgericsTopic starter

• Show only replies by mgerics
Updated still no resolution though...Warning! Windoze question
« on: November 04, 2007, 03:55:12 PM »
In a pickle here. Dell Optiplex GX280, XP SP2, patches, etc, etc.

Out of the blue, network connectivity gone on the built in card (Broadcom NetXtreme 57XX Gigabit). Nothing new installed lately. Tried the 'netsh int ip reset [ log_file_name ]' command, uninstalling the card and reboot to force a re-install. Shows NO connectivity.

ipconfig /renew times out.

Tried a USB network adapter (Netgear EA101) installed fine! It won't acquire a network address, either. I know the Netgear works fine - am using it right now on another peecee to type this! ( And this machine's network card has failed as well  :( Is there a pettern here ?)

Turned off firewall, virus stuff, etc. Nada.

Any ideas? Of course, there is the option to re-install xp, but would rather avoid that if possible...and I really want to find an answer as to what caused it in the first place.

Thanks in advance.

Have tried another pc, and it connects as well..looks like Windows has a munged the networking install. Any last thoughts before I try the re-install hell ?

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
Re: Warning! Windoze question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 04:02:13 PM »
Hi mgerics,

Not sure what would have caused the issue, but you could try booting to a Linux live CD, to take partially take the OS out of the equation. Of course you would have to find a Linux distro which supports your NIC 'out of the box'.

Other than that, did you make any other changes prior to this happening, such as installing software, or make any system settings changes? Did you install/remove/enable/disable any other hardware? Have you checked the device manager for issues? Have you checked System Information for conflicts? These are just a few things that came to mind...

Oliver
Good good study, day day up!

Offline stopthegop

• Show only replies by stopthegop
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 04:04:08 PM »
Some DSL/Cable modems store the MAC Address of whatever HBA you are using, and will block requests from hosts with different MAC Addresses.  A power reset of the modem will clear the NVRAM, and then you can use a different HBA.  Easiest way around this is to clone the MAC address of one of your HBAs via a switch that supports it prior to routing traffic to the cable modem.  
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 04:23:43 PM »
The GX260 and GX280 series are also known for just up an dying.  You may want to do other networking tests to make sure your network card is actually working.  Also, inspect your motherboard for swollen caps.  I've had a 20% failure rate on these units across all customers.

Offline Zanthras

• Show only replies by Zanthras
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 04:31:08 PM »
Have you tried assigning yourself a static IP address to see if it is the DHCP side that is causing the problem?

Offline thanos

• Show only replies by thanos
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 06:06:05 PM »
WARNING WINDOZE ANSWER...

Reboot, reboot, reboot...
Reset the router, Reset the router, Reset the router...
Reinstall, reinstall, reinstall...

Heh...

I have sometimes have windows network issues, the solution is not always rewarding.

my $0.01, this response not worth a whole penny...

a500 a1200 a2000

c64 c128

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 06:27:56 PM »
Or it could be something simple like a bad patch cable, bad hub/switch or port, bad modem/bridge (as was mentioned), etc. Occam's razor first. If that doesn't hold true, then you can start tearing things apart. ;-)

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 07:17:12 PM »
OH HEY!  I missed the part about the USB network card.  In Windows XP SP2, enter this command

netsh wins reset

Then reboot.  If that fixes it, look for anything that might have hooked into winsock: NewDotNet in particular is a nasty.  It may also indicate a problem with your antivirus' proxy program, which should automatically reset after clearing the wins (in this context, this means "winsock") settings.

[EDIT]: You also don't always have to do a full reinstall.  Sometimes WOW (Windows-on-Windows) install via the repair options (second repair in the Windows Setup, not the first which is the recovery console) is enough to fix things.  Be aware, however, that doing this reverts your installation to the patch level of the CD being used, and more recently will actually break Windows Updates (there is a KBA which tells how to correct this problem.)  ALSO, some keys don't work across patch levels, and you might especially have problems if you try to use the Dell Windows key.  When in doubt, always use the CD which came with the computer.

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 07:21:06 PM »
Going with the whole Occam's razor approach, have you tried calling your ISP yet? It could be an issue they are experiencing that is affecting your connection. If they test your line and everything seems okay, best solution would be to try and get another computer to test if that can connect (borrow a friend's laptop or something).

If you do manage to establish the fault is with your computer system,  you've already tried another adapter without success (hopefully using a different cable too). Are you connecting through a router or a server (or another way)? Need to check you can still ping this device. Also, try ipconfig /all, tell us what you see (apart from the external IP number).
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 11:37:14 PM »
The question in this case would also be are you directly connecting to your ISP equipment, or are you using a router?  Have you rebooted the router or the ISP equipment (cable/DSL modem)?

As mentioned, it would be a good idea to use another computer to test the equipment.

Offline mgericsTopic starter

• Show only replies by mgerics
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 03:29:47 PM »
I was sure I had already explained I used the usb adapter on *another* peecee and all worked fine...mebbe not.

Also, went straight through the modem w/o my router attached using multiple patch cables (been down that route before!!!)

Did the whole gamut - shut everything down, then power up the units starting from the outside in - still no luck!

@LoadWB I did know about the netsh wins reset - DOH! - will try that. Kids have access to the machine, and I have more than once removed NewDotNet junk.

Offline Andy001z

• Show only replies by Andy001z
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 03:46:58 PM »
Hi,

You say another PC works fine to the netgear, it is of course possible that your DCHP address has not timed out for that PC and infact the routers DHCP server has died. A simple test would be to do a ipconfig / release then renew on the working PC to ensure that your router is still operational.

As to the Pc with the problem, first I would check the hardware in this Pc, what does device manager day. Then see if the IP stack is up drop to dos and do a ping 127.0.0.1 this will see if it can see the card locally.

Do you get any IP address assigned? I would go with what the static address to check its not DHCP.

If this fails it could be the slot the nic is plugged into, try another.

If that all dont work, you are back to the question has windows killed the driver and you need to re-install.

Andy

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Thread Hi-Jack - another Windoze question
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 05:38:08 PM »
I returned to my home on Sunday evening to find that my Windoze XP Media Edition has been compromised as my Outlook Express InBox had over 200 emails from addresses that I have never seen before with attachments.  Mostly from "Mailer Daemons" returning emails that I have never sent.  I have changed the passwords for my email accounts, changed the password for my Windoze Login, and run a full scan for viruses and spamware.  I am wondering what else I should do before I backup my hard drive and perform a clean re-install.

God I hate Windows.  I want to learn how to install MacOS on my Dell and use parallels to run the couple of programs that are Windows only that I need, plus WinUAE and AmiKit of course.  (please don't suggest EUAE unless you have personally been using it for a long time and have a full proof install utility and can show me that it is just as fast and easy to use as WinUAE/AmigaForever/AmiKit)
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)