Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hard drive installation probs  (Read 1005 times)

Description:

Offline ShaunTopic starter

• Show only replies by Shaun
Hard drive installation probs
« on: October 23, 2007, 10:08:21 AM »
I have to admit, this one is puzzling the life outta me.

I've picked up a cf-ide adaptor and a 4Gb microdrive to go in my A1200.

However, with the adaptor connected, I can't boot from my external floppy drive.  As my internal's dead, this is a bit of an issue for me.

Any suggestions?  It literally just sits at the "hand feeding floppy" graphic, altho it does act like it's reading the floppy, it soon returns to the hand.

A1200 + 1230LC, Indivision MK1, HxC Floppy

Re: Hard drive installation probs
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 10:29:48 AM »
a little clarification after further testing .. it does still boot from the internal drive. but I've not found a single disk that my internal will read correctly (it finds block errors where no-one else does).  It's just booting from DF1 that's my problem

EDIT:
I read in another topic about holding both mouse buttons to get a boot menu.  From this I learn:

Without the adaptor, DF0 is priority +5, CC0 (?) is priority +3, and DF1 is -10

However, with the adaptor connected, the mouse doesn't track. The two buttons still get me into the menu, but I can't mouse around to investigate further (and the keyboard appears to toggle video modes, not allow me to navigate).

Sound familiar to anyone?

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 12:01:08 PM »
That sounds like power problem to me. Check PSU voltages, and try it with a better PSU.
Does mouse work normal without the HDD installed? (it could be the fuse)
Better sorry than worry.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 02:40:35 PM »
The mouse does work without the drive, yes.   But I'm having difficulty seeing this as a power issue .. the same compactflash works just fine thru a pcmcia adaptor; and I've tried it with both floppy drives disconnected to the same effect.  Surely a solid-state compact flash would require a fraction of the current used by two floppy drives?

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
Okay, I realise my last reply wasn't particularly useful.  Especially as I have no way to test voltages & such, and Herself is already warning me about the cashsink this machine is becoming.

What I've tried so far:

120Gb laptop hdd: it may as well not be there.  no ill effect, doesn't spin up.  I was curious.

via cf-pcmcia adaptor: 4Gb "microdrive" and 1Gb solid-state compactflash.  The microdrive because it's what I've been planning on using, the CF because it should have minimal current draw.  Both work fine

via cf-ide adaptor: same drive & cf, but DF1 is unbootable, and my mouse won't move (even at the boot screen!)

and out of nosiness sake .. the cf-ide adaptor with no cards plugged into it ... same result.  no DF1, no mouse.

As the machine is quite happy to power two floppy drives and microdrive via pcmcia, I really hope I've ruled it out as a power drain.

So now I'm curious why the 2.5" drive didn't show up /spin up at all .. and wondering if I can sneak another cf-ide adaptor behind Her back.

(and fwiw, ks30 kicks)

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 09:11:04 PM »
Sounds like you have a bad IDE controller, or a bad cable...

Check with another tiny hd.

To solve the cable problem: buy a new one from Amigakit or catch the "Compaq 1200 XLO notebook" cable (pin-to-pin compatible) on Ebay or in notebook stores (may be hard to find these days).

Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.