Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Sound Cards  (Read 4381 times)

Description:

Offline FixerTopic starter

• Show only replies by Fixer
Amiga Sound Cards
« on: August 15, 2007, 08:05:26 AM »
Hello.

I am looking for the opinions/technical knowledge of those longterm Amiga users or anyone who has experience with dedicated Sound Cards.

I've never had any experience with them myself in the time I've been using classic Amigas.

I also have no idea about the cost/feasibility, quality or usefulness/purpose of such an expansion.

So what I would like to know is the following:

What would be the best Zorro sound card to get and why?

What would be the best PCI sound card to get and why?

Is there any other way of getting audio expansion on Amiga, and is it any good/useful?

What are the benefits/purpose/function of getting dedicated Sound Cards on the classic Amiga computers?

I'm not sure if there is anything else I would like to know about them yet, but more questions may come later in the thread.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Ancalimon

• Show only replies by Ancalimon
    • http://www.myspace.com/orhunmusic
Re: Amiga Sound Cards
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 09:13:29 AM »
16bit sound
hardware mp3 decoder with Delfina
A4000T, 604e@400&060@66, 128MB+16MB+Zorram256, CVisionPPC, VLabMotion, Toccata, XSurf100&RapidRoad, Prisma Megamix

A1200, Blizzard060@50, 256MB, Blizzard IV SCSI, FastATA mk4

Offline keropi

• Show only replies by keropi
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 10:11:14 AM »
unless you wanna use a program/game that can output to AHI (so it will use the soundcard) there is no reason to get an amiga soundcard... and the above progs are wb ones mostly...
as for mp3, u are better with an mp3@64 ...

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 09:40:28 PM »

keropi wrote:
unless you wanna use a program/game that can output to AHI (so it will use the soundcard) there is no reason to get an amiga soundcard... and the above progs are wb ones mostly...
as for mp3, u are better with an mp3@64 ...

Or find all necessary parts and build a MAS Player, works very well to decompress MP3, even on a plain A500!
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.

Offline Audun

• Show only replies by Audun
    • http://none
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 10:23:09 PM »
I'm the proud owner of a SunRize! It's supposedly the best/most expensive soundcard out there. Probably not much use nowadays though when you can just get a mediator and stuff in a soundblaster.

Offline derringer3

• Show only replies by derringer3
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 10:23:57 PM »
The entire history of amiga there were two types of people:
1.Who said that the bulit in amiga sound hw is good for anything, so not worth to disturb.
2. People who think that paula is a good hw but its got many limitations so after some time it must be replaced.

When i first realized in the early '90 that the new amiga (1200) will not be shipped with advanced paula (8ch,16bit etc) as commodore planned, i dissapointed very much.

As time moved on, and ahi appeared, most of the new games and apps use the advantage of ahi. so you can change your sound hw.
So the options:

Delfina : unique amiga hw, with mp3 decoder. 16bit. AHI support. good quality. You need clockport. Or clockport adapter.

Sound Blaster128, Audigy. Sb128 can be used with pci board (mediator etc) 16bit, ahi support, good quality.
Audigy: no full drivers, if can be used better quality than sb128.

terratec: similar to sb128 but a little bit better in noise-signal ratio.

Amiga 500: 68030@14MHz/68882@40MHz/ 5.5MB RAM/80MB HDD/Delfina FE Sound card/Kickstart 3.1/OS 3.1

Macmini 10,1 PPC 1.58GHz, 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD 5400rpm, Ati Radeon 9200/32MB, , MorphOs 3.1

PowerBook 15" PPC 1.67GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GB HDD, ATI 9700/128MB, MorphOS 3.1

Offline T3000

• Show only replies by T3000
    • http://www.rcfreas.com
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 12:13:25 AM »
For ZII most defiently the SunRize Industies AD516 8 channel 16 track stereo audio card. The Studio 16 software is exellent. It will also STMPE time lock with a Personal Animation Recorder for LightWave animation audio playback.

To bad it wasn't a zIII card and  sport an onboard scsi controller to go along with the audio drive formating for DDR.

Offline FixerTopic starter

• Show only replies by Fixer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 09:09:53 AM »
Thanks for the lowdown, everyone.

I didn't realise that the Amiga had such good AHI support range for its software.

Offline aggro_mix

• Show only replies by aggro_mix
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 10:25:12 AM »
I'd really want an AD516 but they are usually still fairly expensive if they ever show up :(

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 02:27:47 PM »
You guys are forgetting the Repulse ;)
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline T3000

• Show only replies by T3000
    • http://www.rcfreas.com
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 02:31:16 PM »
aggro_mix wrote:
I'd really want an AD516 but they are usually still fairly expensive if they ever show up :(

I missed out on a batch of audio/video cards (no software or manuals) that would have put the two ad516s at about $85 each. Wish I would have spent the wad on that auction...  

Offline pVC

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 06:20:34 PM »
It depends a lot for what you need the audio.

For myself (as non musician or audio editing person) the two main reasons for having sound card in classic Amiga are:

1. playing mp3 files without cpu-load with full quality
2. having a mixer for Paula, CD-ROM, TV-card and AHI-audio.

I have both PCI and Zorro bus in my Amiga and sound card is Delfina Lite. Soundblaster wouldn't do the 1. thing, so that's why I prefer Zorro cards. Delfina Lite was cheap when I got it... if the money wouldn't have been the issue, then I'd got Delfina Plus instead :)

Paula is bit faster for games etc, so I use it for those. Only music needs the better quality IMHO.

Sampling is also easy and good quality with sound cards, but never actually needed it :)
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline therail

• Show only replies by therail
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 06:31:45 PM »

pVC wrote:
It depends a lot for what you need the audio.

For myself (as non musician or audio editing person) the two main reasons for having sound card in classic Amiga are:

1. playing mp3 files without cpu-load with full quality
2. having a mixer for Paula, CD-ROM, TV-card and AHI-audio.

I have both PCI and Zorro bus in my Amiga and sound card is Delfina Lite. Soundblaster wouldn't do the 1. thing, so that's why I prefer Zorro cards. Delfina Lite was cheap when I got it... if the money wouldn't have been the issue, then I'd got Delfina Plus instead :)

Paula is bit faster for games etc, so I use it for those. Only music needs the better quality IMHO.

Sampling is also easy and good quality with sound cards, but never actually needed it :)

if you have a picasso iv in your amiga then you can do 1 and 2 with the mp3@64! :D

Offline pVC

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 06:40:29 PM »
Uhm.. where can I find good information of this mp3@64 in Amiga? :) And it really have at least 3 external inputs for mixing sources? And software for playing mp3 files?

And BTW. I only have CV64/3D and Voodoo3 :)
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 08:18:25 PM »
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.