Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help needed from A3000 users !  (Read 2250 times)

Description:

Offline arkpandoraTopic starter

• Show only replies by arkpandora
Help needed from A3000 users !
« on: July 18, 2007, 05:42:53 PM »
Hello,

Once again I have to ask you for some help.

On the Amiga Hardware Database I am reading this about the A3000's built-in SCSI controller : "The controller's configuration is stored in a NVRAM powered by the same battery which the clock is." (http://amiga.resource.cx/mod/a3000.html)  Does it mean that an A3000's hard drive may not work if the clock battery is empty or missing ?  Which informations does this configuration contain ?  If some are required to use the hard drive, how can you update this configuration in order to make it active without a battery until the power is turned off ?  Excuse me if I am uninformed : I just haven't much technical knowledge of the Amiga.

However I have just bought my first Amiga 3000, whose clock battery was removed but not replaced.  At first the computer seemed to work, but in fact it doesn't work normally when a hard drive is plugged in, whatever the hard drive or SCSI cable.  Whenever you manage to partition and format the hard drive using HDToolBox (most of the time the computer is unusable before that), the hard drive boots after switching the computer on and sometimes after one or more resets, but the other times instead of booting it only triggers checksum errors, software failures and even some "Not enough memory error", even when you boot from a Workbench floppy disk.  When I remove the hard drive and boot from the same floppy, the computer works.  The computer is a standard A3000 Desktop with a 68030 at 25 MHz, Kickstart 2, 2 Mb Chip Ram, 3 Mb Fast Ram, and no additional card.  Do you have any clue in order to solve this problem ?  I will do some more precise tests if somebody can assure me that the missing clock battery is not at fault.

Thank you for any help !

Offline MrZammler

• Show only replies by MrZammler
Re: Help needed from A3000 users !
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 05:49:52 PM »
Even if the battery is not present, the default values for the scsi settings are enough to use a scsi disk with the machine.

I dont think the problem you're describing comes from lack of battery. Is the hard disk you're trying known to be ok?
Anyway is the only way

Offline Orjan

• Show only replies by Orjan
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 05:57:06 PM »
Is it terminated properly?
Is the drive larger than 4GB?
\\"Memory is like an orgasm. It\\\'s a lot better if you don\\\'t have to fake it.\\"
- Seymore Cray, on virtual memory.

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 06:01:40 PM »
I used my A3000 without the battery for a long time. It's definitely not necessary.

Your problem is most probably due to bad scsi termination. Don't forget, you need ACTIVE termination. Don't trust on hdd terminators and get a proper 50 pin terminator plug.

Or problematic ram. Check your memory with a memcheck utility.
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 07:07:25 PM »
Did you say you had tried a different scsi hard drive?

The a3000 has two "caterpillar"-like terminator resistor packs on the motherboard.
If these are missing, then you will need to have an additional  terminator attached to the external 25-pin scsi port.

Here is a good resource for you.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline amiga92570

• Show only replies by amiga92570
Amiga92570
==========================
(1) 4000T/040 (2)3000t CS 060/233ppc Picasso IV video, (2)D-box 1200 blizzard 060/200ppc Mediator fastATA, (1)amiga 1200 Power tower, (1)amiga 1200 EZ tower with mediator,1200/030/50mhz, (3) amiga 500 with CSA Mega Midget Racer and Trump card AT, (2) amiga 600 one with M-tec 030, (3) CD32 one sx32, two sx32-pro, More accessories and parts than I want to admit to

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 10:28:58 PM »
Thank you for your help and informations.

I have tried three hard disks successively, all smaller than 4 Gb (200 Mb, 2 Gb and 540 Mb).  The first one was in the Amiga when I bought it : the former owner was using it without a problem.  I had never tested the second but it was given to me as working.  The last one was taken from my old SCSI PC in which it works perfectly.

The three drives are terminated with their built-in jumper.  I don't know if the first drive really is as the jumpers are not provided with a key, but with this drive the Amiga is the same setup the former owner was using without problem, so I guess this drive is terminated.  The second and third drive are terminated without a doubt.  Anyway the third drive was the only SCSI device in the PC as well.  I don't have any independant terminator, but there wasn't any at the end of the internal chain when I bought the Amiga, so I assume the previous owner wasn't using any.  To my knowledge he wasn't using any external SCSI device either, but I will ask him to confirm that.

The third drive (a Conner 540 Mb) is the only one that does not crash the computer before you launch the format command.  However it crashes like the others at the end of the formatting at the earliest, at the latest when you browse through the drawers of a newly installed Workbench or try to read files you have copied.  These crashes can take various forms, ranging from the "Software failure", "Out of memory error" and checksum errors I quoted, to screen freezes or scramblings.

The third drive bears a sticker with some physical informations such as the number of heads and cylinders : I notice that they don't correspond to what HDToolBox detects, although the latter does detect the right names and total size of the drive.  I have tried to setup the drive again using the informations that are written on the drive, but some are missing : I tried to figure out the number of blocks per tracks and block per cylinders according to the informations I had, but don't know if they are accurate.  And I didn't get better results.

Since the former owner was using the hard disk's built-in terminator, I doubt whether termination of the internal part of the chain is at fault.

I will test the memory with MemCheck tomorrow.

Thank you again !

Offline Amiga4k

• Show only replies by Amiga4k
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 05:04:10 PM »
The original 200MB drive works, as a stand-alone drive?
If that is true, your system at leasts is functional.

Now, are you adding these drives on the same cable?
If not: Each drive should be stand-alone. Hookup each drive separately, and record all info from HDToolBox set-up. Each drive should have a different SCSI ID number.
If yes: Only the last drive gets terminated.
Won\'t hide my location.
"I know if you have been good or bad!"

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 05:43:55 PM »
Try HDInstTools, sometimes HDToolBox does not detect drives correctly.
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 05:44:40 PM »
Hi,

No, the first drive was used by the former owner, but since I bought the Amiga it hasn't been working either : that's why I tried two other drives, thinking the first one was broken.  I haven't tested several drives at the same time : I tested every drive as stand-alone, as I just want to install one hard drive.  Currently the Amiga works without a hard drive, but doesn't work with a hard drive, even only one...

I tried four or five different SCSI cables of various lenghts, all known to be working.  And I made sure that none of the drives had the ID 7 used by the controller.

Edit : is HDInstTools KS 2 compatible ?  I seem to remember it is not.

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 06:04:14 PM »
You are right : HDInstTools is KS 2 compatible, so I will give it a try.  Thanks for your advice.

Offline Iggy_Drougge

• Show only replies by Iggy_Drougge
    • http://www.kristallpojken.org
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 11:15:35 PM »
If you're unlucky, your DMAC might be bad. Since the SCSI controller is a DMA device, it uses the DMA Controller extensively.
A4000/25MHz/64MB/20GB/RetinaBLTZ3/FastlaneZ3/CatweaselMKIII/Ariadne/A2301
A3000/40MHz/32MB/6GB/Merlin/Buddha/X-Surf/FrameMachineII+Prism24
Draco60/50MHz/128MB/15GB/Altais/DracoMotion/DV/IOblix+net

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 12:16:52 AM »
Here are some news from my Amiga 3000 problem.

I started the computer again today, with the third hard drive.  It showed a new symptom : the hard drive powered up several times in a row, as if there was a hard drive or power supply problem.  The hard drive didn't show that symptom in a PC, but I will try it in a PC again.  On one of the three hard drives I had tried the two plugs of the power supply lead, so if the power supply is to blame in the computer's problem, at least the power supply unit is at fault.

I have run the two "MemCheck" Aminet tools : they report no memory problem.

I then tried HDInstTools instead of HDToolBox : it behaved almost like HDToolBox.  Automatically it detected the same parameters.  I partitioned the drive again, saved the changes to the drive.  After the reboot, immediately the power led started to flash, bringing up a "Not enough memory error" on a "software failure"-like screen.  The computer then tried to boot on the Workbench floppy disk but showed a "Software failure" instead.  When finally the floppy booted, I ran HDToolBox again : the drive parameters had disappeared, replaced by default values.  HDToolBox had behaved the same way after the computer's first crash of each session, but unlike HDToolBox you can't ask HDInstTools to read the drive parameters if it hasn't detected them by itself, so I was unable to go on and format the drive.  Anyway HDInstTools has not solved the problem.

The seller hasn't yet confirmed to me that he wasn't using any external SCSI device or termination, and I won't remove the upper metal part of the computer supporting the power supply until it is necessary, as being clumsy I am afraid of breaking something else...

If you're unlucky, your DMAC might be bad. Since the SCSI controller is a DMA device, it uses the DMA Controller extensively.

OK, thanks.

As almost all my Amiga are now out of order despite my care, Amiga Center might be the next step.

Offline T3000

• Show only replies by T3000
    • http://www.rcfreas.com
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 02:52:34 AM »
hey,
do what the dealers were told to do with A500s.
drop the unit, still in it's box, from 6 to 8 inches onto a hard flat surface. resets the chips...   :-D      

Did you pull and reset the socketed chips?
Did you test the Power Supply with a volt meter?
If the unit boots with out a HD and doesn't with one, then maybe the PS has some issues. Did ya try powering the drive without the scsi cable attached?
I'd install a battery into the MB despite what others say about not needing one.

I'm having external scsi issues with my A3000. Random scsi lockups and occasional checksum errors and no boot or even getting to the early start-up screen. When I unhook the external units and terminate the external scsi port, it boots and runs fine. So far I have to leave the scanner out of the external chain of ZIP drive and CDrom. Still gets some random scsi lockups, but no where near the problem when all three external units are in place.

Good luck.

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 06:53:24 PM »
Well, I won't do what dealers were told to do with the A500 unless my own life is at stake...

No, the computer works with a hard drive too, but only if you don't use the hard drive.  If you try to access the hard drive, the latter works a few seconds or minutes, then crashes the computer, which then becomes unusable even if you boot from a floppy.  Before the first crash, at best you can partition and low-level format the hard drive, verify the drive (detect the presence of bad blocks), format it and install the Workbench or another software ; then it gets stuck when you open a drawer or try to read what you have copied.  Most of the time you can't even format it or write anything.

I have just plugged in the hard drive without the SCSI cable attached : the computer works OK, as it does without a hard drive.  I don't even get the hesitant powering up : the hard drive powers up at first try.  This might indicate there's a SCSI problem, but I have to abandon my tests at the moment.  I will resume them later.

Thank you again for your help.