Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Killed a Hard drive for Removing a File System? - PPC SCSI & PFS3  (Read 744 times)

Description:

Offline Kin-HellTopic starter

• Show only replies by Kin-Hell
I was using an 18GB UWSCSI IBM 10K drive on my PPC SCSI. There were about 5 Partitions all Formatted & setup with PFS3. I noticed one of the non bootable partitions had the FastFileSystem showing in HD Toolbox. I used the Remove option & saved the changes to the drive. On the Reboot, the Miggy never booted again. The Power LED was looping around in RESET, obviously crashing! Even a Cold boot did the same. I then went into the PPC cards startup & Disabled SCSI ID 1 but the hard drive still spun up & the Miggy RESET itself to bits again! Even took the Motor Spin jumper off the Drive.....it still spun up & still RESET itself to bits!

I really cant see what I did should result in this. The only way I can ever see me getting to know if the Drive is Fubar for sure, is to throw it on a PeeCee, - Maybe! I spect it'll be a Low Level Format at the very least!

Now whilst this might point towards PFS3, I have to think not. PFS3 wites the filesystem Info to the RDB of the drive. Whilst I was lucky to have another 8Gb Barracuda to hand, this drive was set up purely with the PFS3 Filesystem to ALL partitions. Even with the drive in this state, I could boot From a modified Install 3.1 Disk & Install OS3.1 without any errors what so ever!

Anyone ever experienced anything similar to this?
Getting 0lder is Mandatory..... Growing up is an option.

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
Re: Killed a Hard drive for Removing a File System? - PPC SCSI & PFS3
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 09:41:54 AM »
something along this lines (with PFS3 only)

Have you prepped the HD using a different version of HDToolbox in the past (or worse with another tool)?

What i did is not the "state of the art" of HD recovering (and honestly i wont take any responsabillity).

I have unplugged the HD with the problem (only the data cable), booted with another spare boot partition... and then after the system gone loaded, i've reinsserted the flat cable and did a bus rescan.Once the HD is mounted again, i did all the repairs needed.

Good luck and as i said, no responsabillity. It could go all ok, or even not! ;-)

ah... and check carefully the blocksise of the modified partition because HDToolbox set it at default 1024 (wich is the main reason to knacker a partition)

Edit- and download this tool:

q-device

and check how many bad blocks you have. My HD (at the end) was half knackered

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 11:12:14 AM »
Well, somehow the partitioning is now set up in a way it nukes the system. It's either this, or then the drive just died.

Hotplugging might be a way to try some magic, but not all controllers/drives support it.

Indeed the only way to be sure is to plug it into a PC (or mac or whatever non-amigoid system). First you should just try partition the drive, and maybe format one small partition. Only if that fails, try zerofilling (which is the "low level format" these days, really) the drive. If that fails too, then the drive is toast.

If you manage to resurrect the drive on the non-amigoid system, it should have now zapped the RDB and you should be able to plug the HDD into the Amiga again, and set it up as new. Naturally this method will zap all the data, though.

Offline Kin-HellTopic starter

• Show only replies by Kin-Hell
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 05:29:08 PM »
Thanks fellas. Really appreciate all the comments you have to made.
Hats off to Framiga's reply. I booted up with both drives powered, but the 18GB off the cable. Hoofed it on with the Miggy running, ran scsi mounter (changed tooltype to cybppc.device) & there it all was. Had a squiz around with HD toolbox, all the partitions were there. Saved changes to the fact new Drives had been found & Re-booted! When Desktop loaded, every Icon was where it should be. No problems with the data either. Everything copied & worked a peach.

Now I have the Barracuda on its own, I'm wondering why Im only seeing 7mb/sec at best instead of nearly 15Mb/sec!? This was with 290Mb & 800Mb partitions repectively. The 4 x 290Mb partitions all gave nearly 15Mb/Sec. With an 800Mb, 3.5GB & 2 x 2.1GB partitions, I get 7mb/sec & 3.5Mb/sec on all the others. Buffers are only 80 right now but when the 4 x 290Mb partitions had 240 Buffers, I was getting nearly 15Mb/sec across all of them. This might have something to do with the filesystem; I'm not entirely entirely sure PFS3 is quite right or the hard drive settings are optimum. Perhaps Partition Size plays a big part too. I've gots lot to play with getting this sussed but hey, this is the "Fun" side of Computing which no other platform has ever provided! ;-)

More importantly, I recovered all my partitions & every bit of data is fine. What a result.

Thanks again Framiga, really appreciated. :-)

Getting 0lder is Mandatory..... Growing up is an option.