amiga.org
     
iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:00 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

» Amiga.org » Amiga computer related discussion » Amiga Hardware Issues and discussion » Amiga USB

Amiga Hardware Issues and discussion This forum is dedicated to the discussion and resolution of issues related to Classic and Next Generation Amiga hardware. Got a problem with a piece of hardware? Click to speak.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 04:23 AM   #41
Darrin
Lifetime Member
Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
 
Darrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana
Posts: 4,381
Send a message via AIM to Darrin Send a message via Yahoo to Darrin
Default Re: Amiga USB

Quote:
keropi wrote:
@ Darrin :

1. mboehmer_e3b offers more to the amiga community than you would in 100 years with your six figure salary.
I'm the "end user" and without people like me then there would never have been a community and there never will be a community.

Quote:
2. platon42 also offers more to the amiga community than you would in 100 years with your six figure salary. you cannot judge them. it is beyond your power to do that, and you look foolish.
Zzzzzz. Se above. Obviously you have no comprehension of what is in my power and your bum-sucking is what looks foolish from my angle.

Quote:
3. you obviously don't know what happened so don't try your lame "racism" excuses, you still look like a fool. better get all the facts first, think and then come boasting about your "beliefs" (that are completelly wrong ofcourse).
And you're obviously making lame excuses to support your biased position. Try being objective and think about your precious community rather that adopting a childish attitude to those you "think" are beneath you.
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:36 AM   #42
Darrin
Lifetime Member
Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
 
Darrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana
Posts: 4,381
Send a message via AIM to Darrin Send a message via Yahoo to Darrin
Default Re: Amiga USB

Quote:
motorollin wrote:
Please direct me to the post where I called you a software pirate.
YOU didn't and my words were "you lot" meaning that those of you putting me under fire for daring to have an option that doesn't match your commie ideals have been saying that I condone piracy and mboemher even tells me "you admit doing piracy." which I don't. Still having reading trouble?

Quote:
<sarcasm>Yes, I'm sure Chris is cutting off a portion of the userbase (and thus a source of income) just to spite the users</sarcasm> :roll:
Yes, he effectively is. He want's to kill a deer and to do so he's poisioning all of the plants. Sarcasm wont help you defend this.

Quote:
his twisted facts don't do him any favours.
How do you know they are twisted? Do you know something Chris doesn't?[/quote]

I've read both sides of the story and CH's lack of cooperation and his over inflated ego seems to be the major problem. I don't blame Elbox for having a hard time dealing with him.
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:43 AM   #43
keropi
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
 
keropi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ioannina , Greece
Posts: 2,466
Default Re: Amiga USB

OK then MR. End-User...
seems you are a real smart person
WHY THE {bleep} do you complain about poseidon then? Go to your friends at elbox and demand a usb stack to operate your lame card or else just shut up.
or make your own stack.
morrons like you are those that cause hardware/software developers to quit, with your constant nagging and lame excusses. what do u accept from Chris, to bend over so u can be happy? and your "user rights" are not threatened? u are here 5 years, did you register poseidon?
__________________
DON'T click HERE!
AMIBAY , the Amiga marketplace!
keropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:45 AM   #44
motorollin
Premium Member
Points: 32,860, Level: 100 Points: 32,860, Level: 100 Points: 32,860, Level: 100
Activity: 54% Activity: 54% Activity: 54%
 
motorollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 8,666
Default Re: Amiga USB

Quote:
Darrin wrote:
Quote:
motorollin wrote:
Please direct me to the post where I called you a software pirate.
YOU didn't
And yet you had the audacity to accuse me of supporting the KKK. I see no purpose to continuing this conversation since you are clearly the type of person who lashes out at others with unfounded claims when your argument is disputed.

--
moto
__________________
Code:
10  IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10
motorollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:50 AM   #45
keropi
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
 
keropi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ioannina , Greece
Posts: 2,466
Default Re: Amiga USB

Quote:
motorollin wrote:
I see no purpose to continuing this conversation since you are clearly the type of person who lashes out at others with unfounded claims when your argument is disputed.

--
moto
well said motorolin... I will join u in watching, no point arguing with non-thinking/childish/"I am always right"/"my righs are violated" persons
__________________
DON'T click HERE!
AMIBAY , the Amiga marketplace!
keropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:51 AM   #46
uncharted
Defender of the Faith
Points: 10,899, Level: 69 Points: 10,899, Level: 69 Points: 10,899, Level: 69
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,520
Default Re: Amiga USB

Darrin, I don't understand. There is this "obvious solution" you mention in your first post. You won't state what it is. People have come to the obvious conclusion that the "obvious solution" is piracy, but that is somehow insulting and slanderous to you.

So if this proposed "solution" is not piracy, then what is it and what possible reason would you have for not stating it?

If the "solution" is in fact piracy then why are you so insulted by a statement of fact?

I can't see your logic.
uncharted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:00 AM   #47
Darrin
Lifetime Member
Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
 
Darrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana
Posts: 4,381
Send a message via AIM to Darrin Send a message via Yahoo to Darrin
Default Re: Amiga USB

Quote:
motorollin wrote:
Quote:
Darrin wrote:
Quote:
motorollin wrote:
Please direct me to the post where I called you a software pirate.
YOU didn't
And yet you had the audacity to accuse me of supporting the KKK. I see no purpose to continuing this conversation since you are clearly the type of person who lashes out at others with unfounded claims when your argument is disputed.

--
moto
Good. Leave me to debate this with people who understand (or want to understand) what I'm saying.

Note: I said "I guess you support racism too as it's up to the BNP/KKK etc who they hate and don't hate."

Do you see the "I guess". Do you know the difference between a statement and suggestion? To you understand "context" and how it was used in the BNP/KKK remark? Obviously not.

Yes, it's better you leave while you're losing.
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:04 AM   #48
motorollin
Premium Member
Points: 32,860, Level: 100 Points: 32,860, Level: 100 Points: 32,860, Level: 100
Activity: 54% Activity: 54% Activity: 54%
 
motorollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 8,666
Default Re: Amiga USB

Ok.

--
moto
__________________
Code:
10  IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10
motorollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:09 AM   #49
Zac67
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 12,866, Level: 74 Points: 12,866, Level: 74 Points: 12,866, Level: 74
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
 
Zac67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Erlangen, Germany
Posts: 2,890
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: Amiga USB

@Darrin
Please go away, we've heard enough crap from you.
Zac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:11 AM   #50
Darrin
Lifetime Member
Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
 
Darrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana
Posts: 4,381
Send a message via AIM to Darrin Send a message via Yahoo to Darrin
Default Re: Amiga USB

Quote:
uncharted wrote:
Darrin, I don't understand. There is this "obvious solution" you mention in your first post. You won't state what it is. People have come to the obvious conclusion that the "obvious solution" is piracy, but that is somehow insulting and slanderous to you.

So if this proposed "solution" is not piracy, then what is it and what possible reason would you have for not stating it?

If the "solution" is in fact piracy then why are you so insulted by a statement of fact?

I can't see your logic.
My solution is to obtain an unlocked version by whatever means necessary if CH refuses to register and unlock your copy on the grounds that you own an Elbox product.

I've already asked if "telling a fig" on the registration page will allow the stack to be used with the Mediator and nobody has answered yet. If the only solution is obtaining a key from another source then so be it. If person who does this doesn't want to be a "pirate" then they can do what I suggested and mail CH some cash in an unmarked envelope.

CH has engineered this problem himself. I'm just suggesting solutions. Personally, it doesn't affect me as I don't own anything that requires CH's stack to run. I'm just pissed off with the whole Amiga community attitude that allows instances like this to go unchallenged.

If CH has a problem with Elbox then he can put a "ELBOX SUCKS" banner at the top of his registration page along with an explaination of why he thinks they suck. Discriminating against certain Amiga users is not what I expect from a mature adult trying to run a business.

Let me just say a big "THANK YOU" for questioning my stance in a polite and civil manner. There are people on this thread that could learn a lot about debating by reading your posts.
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:12 AM   #51
Darrin
Lifetime Member
Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
 
Darrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana
Posts: 4,381
Send a message via AIM to Darrin Send a message via Yahoo to Darrin
Default Re: Amiga USB

Quote:
Zac67 wrote:
@Darrin
Please go away, we've heard enough crap from you.
I don't do requests and I'm entitled to post here as much as you are (within the guidelines).
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:18 AM   #52
Kronos
Resident blue troll
Points: 14,538, Level: 78 Points: 14,538, Level: 78 Points: 14,538, Level: 78
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
Kronos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,927
Default Re: Amiga USB

I somehow think you just don't (want to) get it:

Spider-users had the chance to register for quite a long time.

Chris made it clear that he wouldn't support the Spider forever.

Chris does make it clear that Poseidon can't be registered for the Spider anymore.

Elbox is still selling Spiders without telling their costumers that it can't be made useable.


It's like buying a "new" Amiga advertised as render-machine and than complaining at Maxon that the newest version of Cinema4D doesn't work on it ......
__________________
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:28 AM   #53
Darrin
Lifetime Member
Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
 
Darrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana
Posts: 4,381
Send a message via AIM to Darrin Send a message via Yahoo to Darrin
Default Re: Amiga USB

Quote:
Kronos wrote:
I somehow think you just don't (want to) get it:
Spider-users had the chance to register for quite a long time.
Chris made it clear that he wouldn't support the Spider forever.
Chris does make it clear that Poseidon can't be registered for the Spider anymore.
Elbox is still selling Spiders without telling their costumers that it can't be made useable.
Oh, I get it. However, the Spider is still available for sale and all the divers necessary for it already exist. Chris had just picked on the Spider to stop support for "personal issues". Why would anybody want to support Chris stack when there's always a chance that he'll have more "personal issues" with another company?

I agree (from looking at the site) that Elbox should make a note that CH is discriminating against their customers as it is an important fact.

Quote:
It's like buying a "new" Amiga advertised as render-machine and than complaining at Maxon that the newest version of Cinema4D doesn't work on it ......
Not quite. The Spider used to work and there's no reason why it shouldn't continue to work with CH's stack other than CH himself. Nobody is asking him to write any drivers for it, but just accept money and send out a key file.

A small as this community is, I don't understand why people are putting personal feelings in the way of business (and I'm not just talking about USB here).
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:28 AM   #54
utri007
Defender of the Faith
Points: 15,125, Level: 79 Points: 15,125, Level: 79 Points: 15,125, Level: 79
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,083
Default Re: Amiga USB

Nice to know that it's availlable.

But does anyone ever use this card ? is it good, does it work well and would there be any problems with micronic zorro extender?
utri007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:37 AM   #55
Kronos
Resident blue troll
Points: 14,538, Level: 78 Points: 14,538, Level: 78 Points: 14,538, Level: 78
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
Kronos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,927
Default Re: Amiga USB

@Darrin

"Personal issues with a company" is quite correct.

Users who have bought the key before the fallout are still able to use the newest Poseidon with their Spiders.

Elbox does have options:
- release their own stack (allmost finished years ago they say ..)
- strike a deal with the Sirion author
- use the AROS-USB-stack (as minimal it may be)
- pull the Spider of the market (and optional allow OpenPCI to work on the Mediator, something you seem to ignore when handing out the blame)

But somehow they insist on listing a piece of SW not available for their HW !
__________________
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:45 AM   #56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Amiga USB

Guys,

As you know, I'm probably the last person on the planet to want to discuss or allow piracy, but there have been some very valid observations made by others in this thread.

The Classic Amiga platform, for all intents and purposes is dead. We still love and enjoy them, but there is no, and will never be any new main hardware for them. Accordingly, no one is writing real software for them any more.

A product like MiamiDX represents a quandry, because in 2007, a computer pretty much has to have a protocol stack in order to be useable. Hell, even an original XBox has a protocol stack....

That leaves us with only a couple of options, both of which have literally been abandoned by the author and are now impossible to obtain legally.

As much as I despise the subject of piracy and will still not allow it openly on this site, there are simply some things which must be done in order for our machines to be usable. Proverbially speaking, we are the group stranded at the top of the mountain, freezing, and having to become cannibals to survive. There is no shame or dishonor in that, but again, it's NOT something you talk about publicly.

In the end, on this subject, both sides are right, and both are wrong.

To the people who accept the truth and advocate getting it by whatever means necessary, good for you, but stop advocating it publicly.

To the few self-appointed "piracy police" in this thread, you really need to take a step back, look at the bigger picture,and stop trying to control everyone else's life. No one made you sheriff. It's not your job to argue with others who have differing opinions, then whine to all the moderators when you don't get your way.

Officially speaking :

Amiga.org understands the current situation with the Amiga platform. If we COULD buy the software in question, we would be a staunch advocate for doing so. The problem is that some of these authors literally won't even respond to e-mails and won't take your money if you sent it.

Meanwhile the platform is being critically hampered by the situation. So in the end, in closing, and in short, if you need ABANDONED software and cannot otherwise get it legally, do what you gotta do, but Amiga.org is not the place for discussing it publicly.

That ladies and gents is my official say so on the matter.

Wayne
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:49 AM   #57
JJ
Lifetime Member
Points: 20,906, Level: 91 Points: 20,906, Level: 91 Points: 20,906, Level: 91
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%
 
JJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 3,745
Default Re: Amiga USB

I requested a "Yawn" smiley for posts whenever glittering( paul gadd we suspect) pops up, think we have another reason to request a "Yawn" smilely.

__________________
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.7 user
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:56 AM   #58
Glittering
Beginner
Points: 6,106, Level: 50 Points: 6,106, Level: 50 Points: 6,106, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 47
Send a message via ICQ to Glittering Send a message via AIM to Glittering Send a message via MSN to Glittering Send a message via Yahoo to Glittering
Default Re: Amiga USB

note by admin : Paul Gadd banned once again.
Glittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:56 AM   #59
Darrin
Lifetime Member
Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90 Points: 20,664, Level: 90
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
 
Darrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana
Posts: 4,381
Send a message via AIM to Darrin Send a message via Yahoo to Darrin
Default Re: Amiga USB

Quote:
Meanwhile the platform is being critically hampered by the situation. So in the end, in closing, and in short, if you need ABANDONED software and cannot otherwise get it legally, do what you gotta do, but Amiga.org is not the place for discussing it publicly.

That ladies and gents is my official say so on the matter.

Wayne
Point taken. You've managed to sum up what I was trying (and obviously failed) to convey. Sorry to anyone I managed to upset over that last few posts.

I'll refrain from commenting on this again and hopefully find a thread that we can all agree on like OS4 on the Efika.

Cheers

Darrin ;-)
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #60
BR
Too much caffeine
Points: 5,355, Level: 47 Points: 5,355, Level: 47 Points: 5,355, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 118
Default Re: Amiga USB

Quote:
Darrin wrote:
My solution is to obtain an unlocked version by whatever means necessary if CH refuses to register and unlock your copy on the grounds that you own an Elbox product.

How about support for all users prior to and since the
controversy through a mediator, a neutral party. Someone
like AmigaKit come's to mind. A "go between" that could
handle the transactions allowing Mr. Hodge's to continue
to sell his software, which is why he made it, Elbox to
continue to sell Spider's, which is why they offer them,
eliminate the friction/disagreements that result from
direct contact between the 2, they both continue to profit
and the end user/customer isn't jammed in to the middle
of a situation he shouldn't be in in the first place?
Just a question/suggestion.
Bob Reising
BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
amiga , usb

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump