Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: music production on amiga....  (Read 5503 times)

Description:

Offline eniacTopic starter

• Show only replies by eniac
    • http://myspace.com/tkomelbourne
music production on amiga....
« on: April 25, 2007, 02:31:01 AM »
im trying to get my hands on a a1200, but they are getting rare here in oz, eventually i will, but im a hiphop producer and im into "alternative" means (eg not using reason and protools) of production. what music production suites are available for the amiga? i thought i may be able to get some sounds out of it that would be amiga only.
back in my amiga days i was only a guitar player.

im not interested in hooking up midi modules to it as that isnt using the sounds of the amiga....

Offline James

• Show only replies by James
Re: music production on amiga....
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 02:45:49 AM »
The main appeal of the Amiga for modern music production is the lofi grainyness of the sound. There are a few (not real time) softsynths available that are interesting to generate pretty unique sounds.

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 02:54:05 AM »
really ? what are those softsynths ?
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline benJamin

• Show only replies by benJamin
    • http://cms.jaminjay.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 03:26:06 AM »
One I've played around with is, I think, Kokmunicator (303 simulator).  Made a mix-track with that and OctaMED SS to practice rhymes over.  Made another track in OctaMED, still has a way to go and I'm studying hard again.  Uses a mix of 16-bit and 8-bit samples, plus vocals recorded on a PeeCee (8-bit vocals are not real great, I found).  I hope to have time at the end of the year to finish the track and rerecord vocals with a Tascam.

I used my 8-bit sampler and a mic to make a track using only my voice (including tracked beatbox) in about 1994.

The old AF CDs used to have a HEAP of sound tools, including soft synths and MIDI connection suites, I can dig one out if you'd like.

jaminJay
"Hip-stick-'em-up-hop!"
Amiga.org - The site for MiniMig support and news.
blakemilesmusic.com

Offline jbuonacc

• Show only replies by jbuonacc
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 07:33:24 AM »
'Aural Synthetica' is a really nice looking Amiga softsynth. haven't spent more than a few minutes with it though...

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 03:10:05 PM »
I think for doing Hip-hop a tracker like Protracker or OctaMED is really the best tool.  It's easy to build up percussion/bass loops from samples.

There are also a few TR-606/808 type softsynths on Aminet.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 05:30:50 PM »
Using a tracker like Octamed with 8 bit samples makes a great hip hop sound. I wouldnt use it alone for a whole album though.

I like to use my A1200 running octamed, midi synced with my Mac running Logic. The two together make an awesome range of sound.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 08:17:09 PM »

countzero wrote:
really ? what are those softsynths ?

Don't forget the "SynthSound" setting in OctaMED... if you modified the settings in real time, it makes some pretty cool sounds.

OctaMED Sound Studio is the best music production software for the Amiga... but mostly if you have a Sampler.

Offline NoFastMem

• Show only replies by NoFastMem
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 08:32:22 PM »
I really liked the sounds MusicLineEditor would produce, a lot of fun to play with. Also, 303Tracker for acid bass stuff.

OctaMED is a great tracker, but you're probably better off running the PC version and just using 8 bit samples if that's the sound you're going for. OctaMED's realtime mixdown is very grainy and sort of appealing if you're into lofi but I'm not sure you'd want to subject entire tracks to that.
AKA that_punk_guy

Offline stopthegop

• Show only replies by stopthegop
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 08:59:15 PM »
There are a lot of good recording and editing tools available for the amiga:

SoundFX
ProStation Audio
AudioEvolution

Also check Aminet
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 10:22:31 PM »
If you don't want to be limited to 8 bit samples, you could try Digibooster Professional or Milkytracker, the latter only with a PPC card and MorphOS or the forthcoming AmigaOS 4 for classic Amigas.

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline spihunter

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 10:24:03 PM »
@NoFastMem,

The PC version of Octamed running 8bit samples does not have the same sound as running 8bit through Paula on a real Amiga.

call me crazy but I think the paula chip has a much warmer/richer sound compared to PC sound cards when playing 8 bit stuff. It seems even better if you use a sampler like megalosound. :-D

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 10:32:27 PM »

spihunter wrote:
@NoFastMem,

The PC version of Octamed running 8bit samples does not have the same sound as running 8bit through Paula on a real Amiga.

call me crazy but I think the paula chip has a much warmer/richer sound compared to PC sound cards when playing 8 bit stuff. It seems even better if you use a sampler like megalosound. :-D

I like the megalosound too and use it a great deal, but I find you often get better (more controllable) results to sample on a modern high quality machine and then downsample to 8bit (using the best dithering algorithm your DAW software allows) and then use the lovely paula chips for playback via OctaMED.

Offline stopthegop

• Show only replies by stopthegop
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 10:38:23 PM »
Paula does sound really amazing considering its only 8 bits.  Not sure how exactly to say it, but Paula doesn't sound overly "digital" to me..  Some hi-res (16, 24 bit) samples can sound very bright, almost unpleasent when played through good tube equipment.  Paula can sound a tiny bit "distorted", but its the good kind of distortion.  Same as saying Jimi Hendrix live sounded "distorted".  :)
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline spihunter

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 11:42:03 PM »
@bloodline,

I like the megalosound too and use it a great deal, but I find you often get better (more controllable) results to sample on a modern high quality machine and then downsample to 8bit (using the best dithering algorithm your DAW software allows) and then use the lovely paula chips for playback via OctaMED.

I have a 24 bit sampler, I might have to give that method a go. I do like the sort of "uncontrollable" factor of using a real 8 bit sampler though :lol: . I like the way it adds to the creative process!