Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Boot Amithlon from USB keychain drive?  (Read 1803 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaHereticTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
Boot Amithlon from USB keychain drive?
« on: June 13, 2003, 05:31:38 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has or knows if it is possible to boot Amithlon from one of those USB keychain drives?  I know you can boot from them if your motherboard supports it, but I wanted to see if anyone had tried it with Amithlon or knew anything about why it might or might not work.

Thanks!

AmigaGuy
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline alex

• Show only replies by alex
    • http://www.never2funky.com
Re: Boot Amithlon from USB keychain drive?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 06:27:57 PM »
That is a GREAT idea,

I used to have two shared machines at my house that only booted from a zip drive and gave everyone their on zip disk with their own environment and it was great as you would just whip it in and do your thing.  Then when you moved in the house you took your environment with you.

But the idea of just walking up to some odd machine, pluggin in a usb keychain and booting up to your environment would be equally cool and allow access to a great many more machines.

Let us know how it works out.

-Alex

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 07:14:50 PM »
If you mean loading up the Linux kernel etc - i.e. the actual process of starting Amithlon, this may well be possible.

However, if you mean having your entire Amiga environment on the keychain drive too, so you can just take that to any machine you happen to be near, then the answer is "unlikely". The only possible way to do this would be to produce your own customised ramdisk image, and have everything you need to run loaded into memory when you boot up. Once Amithlon has started, you would no longer have any access to the USB drive.
Bill Hoggett

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 07:41:23 PM »
My idea was to still have the AmigaOS system on my HD, but just to boot Amithlon from the keychain.   This way of starting Amithlon would be more preferable to me then using the CD or trying to set it up on a seperate harddrive partition.  

Then maybe I'd just wire the keychain up inside the computer case so that it sort of becomes an Amiga motherboard :)  Same thing would probably be possible by making some sort of ROM that I could hack on to the motherboard, but this way would be easier and easier to update if necessary.

It would be cool to make a customised ramdisk image and have the whole thing on the key chain, or better if there was USB support so you could just use the keychain as a drive after Amithlon started up.

But for now I just want to have Amithlon boot from the USB drive and then have the Amiga HD take over from there.

AmigaGuy

Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2003, 10:19:33 PM »

amigaguy wrote:
My idea was to still have the AmigaOS system on my HD, but just to boot Amithlon from the keychain.   This way of starting Amithlon would be more preferable to me then using the CD or trying to set it up on a seperate harddrive partition.  

Then maybe I'd just wire the keychain up inside the computer case so that it sort of becomes an Amiga motherboard :)  Same thing would probably be possible by making some sort of ROM that I could hack on to the motherboard, but this way would be easier and easier to update if necessary.

It would be cool to make a customised ramdisk image and have the whole thing on the key chain, or better if there was USB support so you could just use the keychain as a drive after Amithlon started up.

But for now I just want to have Amithlon boot from the USB drive and then have the Amiga HD take over from there.

AmigaGuy

Can't you junt install Amithlon on a hard drive partition and dual boot using grub?  :-?

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 11:00:09 PM »
Can't you junt install Amithlon on a hard drive partition and dual boot using grub?  

I could, but I think if you set up a partition to boot from, then you have to set up the rest of the HD as a virtual Amiga drive or some such.

Plus, I think I would be cool to just be able to plug the key in to my USB hub when I want to boot into AmigaOS and take it out to boot into XP.  It would be easy to update or change things and if I can setup a custom ram disk of my OS setup, I could take it with me where ever I go!

AmigaGuy