Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Eslapion and the Amigas that never were.  (Read 2540 times)

Description:

Offline JamesTopic starter

• Show only replies by James
Eslapion and the Amigas that never were.
« on: March 30, 2007, 04:48:20 AM »
Hello all,

To follow suit on the Boogiegail thing... I might as well also warn you about Mr Eslapion, sadly one of the contributing members of this forum.

You may remember some weeks ago he was in a fit about trashing amigas because they were of no value to him and they were taking all this place and he couldn't stand it anymore. He "kindly" offered them for pick-up to anyone in the area...maybe thinking there wasn't anybody from Montreal on this forum.

Then he said that three people had contacted him and he would divide the loot between all three.

In any case.. I've contacted him by PM and he replied with his phone number saying to call him on the weekend to arrange this. So I replied to him saying I could call saturday, after lunch. Didn't get a reply on that one.

I called on saturday a little after lunch time. And he didn't knew what the hell I was talking about for like five minutes straight...not being very talkative and obviously very nervous when he did say a few words.

Turns out he doesn't have the Amigas, they aren't taking any place where he lives as previously mentioned. They are, suposedly, in some basement somewhere in town. When I asked when i could come by and picked them up (I had actually arranged for a lift on that afternoon...heh) he said "oh no no... no... we can't do that, not possible". When asked why he said he didn't have access to the basement in question.

So I pressed forward, asking if we could set this up for the following weekend (which would be this weekend). We agreed to arrange a meeting for this saturday, using this forum's PMs. A few PM later he told me to call him saturday. I replied to ask if he could confirm that it WOULD happen on saturday as this is my only day off for a while and if the boat ain't gonna float, I'll make other arrangments for my afternoon.

Well guess what. He "can't make it" for another three weeks. So I asked if I could get the number of the person who owns this place, and seemingly these Amigas.... sigh.... "No, there is no way he will let you in withtout me. Sorry this will have to wait". Actually english doesn't properly translate the very dry and not-too-gentle tone of the reply, but you get the point.

So all in all, I think he's a liar in need of a little attention. If he offers you something, or if you planned on doing business with him, do so with caution.

I presently work in fraud prevention, so I'm gonna run a little background check on the guy, yknow, just for kicks.

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
Re: Eslapion and the Amigas that never were.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 05:19:15 AM »
Tsk tsk. Eslapion is such a loser for raising such a fuss over nothing.  :crazy:  :roll:
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 05:27:13 AM »
The other 2 people are Ral-Clan whom I met on the VIC-20 Denial forum and nine3o. Both of these people are from the Toronto area.

I have sold many custom made expanders to people on Denial and they liked them.

I have a 100% rating on eBay and I sold a lot of stuff there.

The reason you flame at me is because you wanted me to be there to lick your ass tomorrow afternoon. Well, too bad I have a meeting at the university tomorrow.

In the PM YOU said you didn't have another day off for 3 weeks. I could have easily met you next week.

I will NEVER let you wander around alone in the basement of my friend's store NO FRACKING (battlestar fan...) WAY!

Exkiuuuse me for not licking your boots for such extraordinary things you have done for me!

Je ne suis pas à ton osti de SERVICE!

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 05:38:38 AM »

James wrote:
I called on saturday a little after lunch time. And he didn't knew what the hell I was talking about for like five minutes straight...not being very talkative and obviously very nervous when he did say a few words.

I was half asleep cuz I had worked until 6am the previous day...

I didn't have a clue who was calling me...

BTW, something similar occured when nine3o called me.

I will give Ral-Clan and nine3o what they want but for you... I'll have something on YouTube... if I get the time...

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 05:56:01 AM »
First off, before this gets stupidly out of hands. I didn't "flame" you. I merely exposed the situation as I see it. Whether you have been dealing with a million people successfully or not is of no relevance to me. The attitude you've shown, especially the phone call you just made at my house at midnight, makes me think that you are not the kind of person I wish do deal with. Period. I am entitled to my opinion and have the right to express it. As you will notice from my post, I did say "I think he is a liar [...]" and not "He is a liar".

Second, after the phone call, and the threats you've made over the line, I feel I must clarify one point. When I say I'll run a background check on you, it has nothing to do with my actual work. It means that I've picked up a few skills working there and I can, in all legality, perform this check at home. I will not however, edit out the comment in my first post as I have nothing to hide and I am a good sport.

Third. You've managed, in five minutes over the phone, to insult me more times that I've been insulted in pretty much all my life. You have also threatened me, saying you would come to my house and such. I have asked numerous times that you calm down so I may place a few words and you did not. I had to hang up on you because this was going way to far. I am a very calm person, not very prone to outbursts verbal abuse. And as such I expect others to act the same way with me. If you have an issue about me stating what I feel are facts to people I have respect for and for whom I do not wish bad trades/sales/etc, well you are more than welcome to speak your piece. Albeit I will ask you to do so in a civilized manner.

Fourth, I could have waited another month for this 'deal'. It has nothing to do with me wanting them THIS SATURDAY absolutely. But your dry one-line replies just indicated me that it was probably not going to happen, hence me asking you to CONFIRM that it would happen this saturday. Your last one-liner reply sealed the deal for me, I do not want to deal with you, even for free computers.

What I have posted here, is not slandering of any kind. It is simply what I feel are the facts, expressed to others so that they may use their own judgement in dealing with you. If you feel so attacked, I can only ask you if the hat fits?

The fact that you do not want a stranger picking through your stuff without being there is wholly understandable. But from what you have said to me over the phone last saturday, I gathered that they were not yours at all, but rather someone else's and that you were selling them for him. Hence me asking for his/her phone number so I can arrange a meeting directly with the person. And again in your last post, you state it's your friend's store...so it's still pretty unclear whether these computers are yours or not.

If you used more than one line to reply to people, things would be much clearer for all parties involved. Getting your panties in a ball and threatening me over the phone however, is not the right way to get anything settled once the fit hits the shan.

What I did was in the better interest of the community here, much as is the boogiegail post. I am truly sorry you feel this way, and attacking you was not the intention. However your last post, and ever moreso your phone call, indicates, to me at least, that you are not capable of dealing with this like an adult. I will not delete my post as I do not feel I have stepped over the line, the admins may decide on that. I will not however continue this conversation with another post as it WILL get out of hand eventually and I'll have no part in that.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 06:21:28 AM »
Boogiegail charged money for her equipment.

One simple question: How much did I ask for or charge you ? NOTHING!

Sorry buddy, I NEVER said I would go to your house. However, I did say that I could use what you post against you legally and that's why your last post looks like it came from a newly graduated attorney...

Also, you ASSUME a lot of things. True enough I sell things that were GIVEN to me, I don't sell them for him. These items are now stored in the basement of another person's store.

The person who owns the store where these items are storaged IS NOT the original owner and knows NOTHING about computers.

No, the Amigas I give aren't in my apartment, I already have one Amiga 3000, one Amiga 2000, one Amiga 1200, one 1080 monitor, 12 Commodore 64s, one C128D...just sold, 5 standard C128, 8 1541 drives, 2 Amiga 1010 drives, 3 VIC-20s and 2 1581 drives in here... more than enough...

I also just donated 4 Commodore 1670 1200baud modems.

And in the end... why would I have to justify myself to you? You wanted free machines? Be PATIENT.

I'm sorry to have to connect you back to reality but my personnal obligations, such as work, affective relationships and religion (if I had any) matters more than you!

I don't owe you ANYTHING. This is a totally unjusitifed attack on my image and my reputation and that is done by a person who treats other people as servants.

Is that adult enough for you?

The bottomline is you are making all this fuss because you were denied a meeting with me tomorrow. You don't understand why (and don't care) so you invent reasons and you try to start a smear campaing...

Tu peux me donner le numero de telephone du proprietaire des lieux alors? Je m'arrangerais directement avec lui.

This translates as: "Can you give me the owner's phone number? I will deal directly with him."

Arrogant or what?

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 07:57:35 AM »
Ok I know said I wouldn't post again but this is too funny. How many times are you going to edit your posts like that? :D

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 11:54:22 AM »
James, you come across as a bit hard-done-by.

The unwritten law with free stuff is you get it at the givers discretion.  If you're annoying and miss out, you accept the outcome with some humility.

Its simple "free stuff" lore...

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 02:36:06 PM »
I only know Eslapion through a VIC-20 forum we both post on and we have never met personally, but I thought I would just pipe up and say I've had a few transactions with him that have been straightforward, without problem.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline gklinger

• Show only replies by gklinger
    • http://www.vex.net/~falco
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 06:16:16 AM »
It's unfortunate that my first post to these forums should be of this nature but I can't stand idly by and watch a good person's reputation besmirched. I have met Eslapion in person and know him to be a honest, intelligent and generous and his repuation is above reproach. As for not flaming him, how exactly do you characterize calling someone a liar?

I don't know you, James, so forgive my being blunt but you are not painting a flattering picture of yourself.

Call me Golan; my parents did.

Offline jbuonacc

• Show only replies by jbuonacc
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
i've talked with Eslapion as well. seems like a good guy, sorry i wasn't able to help him out at the time.

i do wish he/you would have offered to ship a couple though, but i can understand. i'll trade the boxed Vic i've got... :-)

anyway, how about another favorite ebay seller? got my A500 from RetroGeek this afternoon. this guy prides himself (apparently) on his packing/shipping. look at this {bleep}:

jeez, what a swell guy! thin cardboard box, no padding underneath, very light packing on top. the thing was probably floating around in there, might as well have been no bottom on the box. i'm guessing the bottom hatch broke off in transit, the plastic tab snapped off. the left side cover wasn't there, shouldn't be too surprised. not sure if it was crewed together when he packed it, but the three front screws were just floating in the box. nice, huh? also, i love it when people feel the need to write useless info in permanent marker on the case (can't say this is his fault, but it'd been nice if he'd disclosed it). and where's my power supply?! :-D :madashell: check the auction, does this Geek owe me a PSU or what?

http://tinyurl.com/yuaklz (the ebay auction)

"Q:What cords/hookup does it come with?       Mar-11-07
A:I can include a power supply ($20 value) for FREE !"

not to mention the copy of DOS2DOS as well. and i sure don't want to hear "oh, well you weren't the one that asked the question..." if he posts an answer like that for bidders to see, that PSU better be included. not jumping to give him negative feedback, but i'm a bit disappointed (though not surprised at all, other than the packing job). i'll try contacting him now. turns out the unit works seemingly well so far though. and to be fair, it is in generally nice condition otherwise.

can't wait to get into this... :roll: hope he's cool about it. i'd be willing to pay shipping for the PSU, he could've contacted me.

Offline Damion

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 09:10:27 AM »
Yikes, sorry to see that. Why would anyone ship vintage/fragile computer equipment so carelessly?  

Reminds me of the 1581 drive "kit" I ordered from someone on the lemon64 forum a while back. The dude ships it in a thin bubble MAIL BAG. (First thought that crossed my mind... was simply WTF?!?) Naturally, it arrived a little beat up thanks to that fantastic decision.

:idea:

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 01:22:05 PM »

jbuonacc wrote:

anyway, how about another favorite ebay seller? got my A500 from RetroGeek this afternoon. this guy prides himself (apparently) on his packing/shipping. look at this {bleep}:

This should be a new topic, how about making a new topic? Or reopening one of the many, many retrogeek/doomy warning threads?

BTW, why on Earth did you buy from this guy knowing his history :-?  :-?
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Darklight

• Show only replies by Darklight
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 02:38:40 PM »
I haven't entered into any of the discussion on this topic, or the previous one where the machines were offered, but from reading this, I feel I have to go with James.  I haven't met either of them, nor spoken to them, however, it seems to me as though James has thought out his posts, and written quite clearly.  Eslapion on the other hand, has started making threats and flaming the heck out of him.  Hardly a mature thing to do - I've had people disagree with me on forums before, but flipping out is not the way to solve it, particularly when the OP has gone to the trouble of making a well thought out post.

As for Eslapion's reputation being above reproach, how on earth is James supposed to know that?  I've seen him flaming people for saying he should be giving the machines away, for disagreeing with him, etc, yet James is supposed to know that he may be a well-intentioned person irl?  Personality is hard to distinguish online at the best of times, and I know if I rang someone and got fairly non-commital responses after seeing them flame others on a forum, I'd probably think the same thing James has here.

After all the scams Amiga collectors/users have experienced over the years from companies, eBay sellers, fellow forum members and the like, I hardly think anyone can blame James for having thought the same thing about Eslapion after not getting anywhere with this.  Perhaps his post could have been worded differently, but using a euphemism for 'liar' wouldn't really have changed anything.

In the end this is my opinion - Eslapion, lighten up man.  I understand he's said some things that might have upset you, but you seem to be taking everything on this forum a bit too seriously - maybe that's just me that thinks that, but that's the way I see it.

James, I think you might have jumped to conclusions here.  To be honest, I would have thought the same thing probably, but I can understand why it might have upset Eslapion.  I think everyone just needs to settle down a bit  :-D

Offline gklinger

• Show only replies by gklinger
    • http://www.vex.net/~falco
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 03:27:48 PM »
I think that eslapion's eBay feedback is a good indicator of reputation, don't you? He has 100% positive feedback on 54 transactions. I think that's pretty good. I must say that I really am amazed (read disappointed) at the attitudes I'm encountering here. If a person offers to give me something, I'm thankful for it. I don't start whinging because I wasn't satisfied with their level of service. Mind you, I'm not an ingrate.
Call me Golan; my parents did.