Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Making a PCMCIA extender  (Read 1627 times)

Description:

Offline rkauerTopic starter

• Show only replies by rkauer
Making a PCMCIA extender
« on: January 30, 2007, 04:40:57 AM »
Hello crazy people (that's me, me and me - I am a schizo). :crazy:

-Due the fact that PCMCIA angle adaptor cost a LOT of money (I refuse to pay 50 euro for one of those) :pissed:

I figure out if I buy a dead PCMCIA card and a dead notebook mobo :horse: , then strip away, solder one to another with shielded wires.  :hammer:

Could I make a PCMCIA extension to put in a towerised Amiga, directioning the conector to a slot in the front of the case. :-D

How do you think about that (not my very bad english, the idea)?    :-?  
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
Re: Making a PCMCIA extender
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 04:50:04 AM »
Welcome to the pcmcia extenders club. I've looking for a solution for a long time, and came across this product which does exactly what I want : PccExtend 120. Last time I asked them for a quote, they told me it was about $500 ! so bugger them till they come to their senses.
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline dbrads

• Show only replies by dbrads
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 04:56:23 AM »
I have been thinking exectly the same thing recently.

I have a pile of 1MB PCMCIA cards at work, I have tried them on Amigas and they dont work, so I was planning to strip one down and attemt to build an extender for my A1200 in a Micronik tower.

A2000:-
KS sharer3.1/1.3, A2630+4MB, A2091+2MB & 234MB HD.

Offline theTAO

• Show only replies by theTAO
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 05:36:27 AM »
@countzero:

Maybe I didn't read the text closely enough, but I can't see how that thing connects to a 1200.  Where's the female end that plugs in?

I assume everybody knows what the "official" 1200 PCMCIA adapter looks like?  I bought one several years ago from Software Hut for $25-$30.  It's miniscule...not an "extender" at all, just a piece of plastic with pins at a 90-degree angle so that in a tower case, the PCMCIA card rests on the bottom of the case.  I'd hoped for something with a cable and a slot bracket for the back of the case, so I could swap PCMCIA cards without disassembling everything.  On the other hand, most PCMCIA network cards have a fragile "rat tail" or other connector that attaches to your RJ45 cable, so leaving it dangling out the back could be trouble.

Today, what I'm actually looking for is a slot bracket with a female RJ45 connector, so I could solder the "rat tail" to it internally.  (Imagine a PC slot bracket for supporting extra USB ports, but instead for 10BaseT ethernet.)  Anyone ever seen one of these?  Yeah, I could probably hack something, but don't want yet another hardware project on my to-do list.

If anybody wants to try making their own "extender," I'd take a hint from the above web page.  I believe PCMCIA slots are very suceptible to noise, and simply attaching male and female connectors to several inches of cable isn't going to cut it.

Todd

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 08:37:23 AM »
@theTAO
Well if you look closely at the picture one end is a PCMCIA card and at the other end is a PCMCIA adapter. Hence one end goes in the Miggy and the other... well it's where any other card goes.

Andy
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 05:54:22 PM »
That is way I think the extender could be.

Anyway, soldering 136 wires could be a lot of work. :hammer:

And I like the idea of put some 105c caps in the power  supply lines and put grounds between signal wires. And more: put metal separating each group of wires as electrical shield. :idea:

I will make one and tell you the results.
Goodbye people.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 06:04:30 PM »

theTAO wrote:
@countzero:

Maybe I didn't read the text closely enough, but I can't see how that thing connects to a 1200.  Where's the female end that plugs in?

> Stripping away the female conector from the dead notebook (de-soldering it and soldering in a lot of ribbon cables) :horse:

Today, what I'm actually looking for is a slot bracket with a female RJ45 connector, so I could solder the "rat tail" to it internally.  (Imagine a PC slot bracket for supporting extra USB ports, but instead for 10BaseT ethernet.)  Anyone ever seen one of these?  Yeah, I could probably hack something, but don't want yet another hardware project on my to-do list.

>Just find a dead peecee k6-2 desktop and take that plate! I think that is easy to find. :horse:

If anybody wants to try making their own "extender," I'd take a hint from the above web page.  I believe PCMCIA slots are very suceptible to noise, and simply attaching male and female connectors to several inches of cable isn't going to cut it.

> That´s why I want some more info about: is enough put some caps in the 12V and 5V lines, put a ground wire between every signal line and put a metal shield between every plane of ribbon cables...

Todd

Goodbye people.