Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CSA 12gauge accelerator and Kickstart 3.1 ROMs  (Read 1216 times)

Description:

Offline da9000Topic starter

• Show only replies by da9000
CSA 12gauge accelerator and Kickstart 3.1 ROMs
« on: January 11, 2007, 01:40:48 PM »
I recently got one, but it (the CSA) doesn't boot with Kickstart 3.1 ROMs in my A1200 unless I jumper JP2#5 (Autoconfig Disable), which pretty much disables SCSI and I think also the on-board Fast RAM, which really sucks (makes the performance drop and no more Fast RAM!). If JP2#5 is left open it tries to boot and then resets somehow (I can see the screen flashing for a split second) and then tries again, and then resets again, etc.

Does anyone with this card know why? Or has a hunch about what might be causing this problem? Is it the firmware or boot ROM on this card that's causing the problem? This doesn't make so much sense to me as the problem persists with and without having JP2#4 (Boot ROM Enable) jumpered. Neither state works. Unless of course this jumper is "not connected" to any real functionality, which is weird because my card does have a Boot ROM (as far as I can tell)

Is there a way to find out what's happening during boot that's causing the reset?

Thanks in advance

PS. I'm using this (which is identical to the manual) for reference: http://planetcryo.com/amiga/csa12.html

Re: CSA 12gauge accelerator and Kickstart 3.1 ROMs
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 01:32:35 AM »

Just curious:

Is there an Amiga tool that can be used to extract the contents of the ROMs of various boards/cards, for example this CSA 12gauge? Or will one need a chip reader to do the job?

I ask because I know it can be done with a chip reader, but if the ROM is mapped to some address region, then most certainly it can be 'extracted'

Thanks in advance to the gurus

Offline Zoomug

• Show only replies by Zoomug
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 04:11:10 PM »
Hi

Thanks for answering with a few suggestions for me to try.

I have tried using a jumper on the pins you said, but i still get the same red screen. First of all it is black, but for only a fraction of a second, then it turns red with a flashing powerlight. A few seconds later, and the machine resets, and the whole process starts over.

Without this accelerator card, the machine works fine as it does with my other card, a blizzard 060.

:getmad:

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 10:53:40 PM »
Put another Amiga connected via serial null-modem. Start it first, run these lines in a shell window (be sure the settings for your serial port on "receiver" are 8n1, 19200 bps, buffer=4096, handshacking=RTS/CTS) :

"type SER: to path:name_of_other_amiga_bad_boot"

where path: is the second Amiga hd OR partition you like and the name of the archive you like (use one you can easily remember).

Put the faulty Miggy on.

When the faulty Amiga reboots again (blink the power LED), press the LEFT MOUSE BUTTOM, wait it to reboot and stop the serial program in the receiver Miggy (at this point it's safe to turn the faulty one OFF), and open the archive (it will be a text file, easy to read with all the issues or codes to cope around a solution). :idea:
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 02:08:55 AM »
@Zoomug:

You're welcome! I see that unfortunately it didn't do anything :(  Let's do what rkauer suggested. I'm going to try it as well when I get a moment.

@rkauer:

Thanks for the suggestion! I had no idea. I'm going to definitely try it when I get a chance, because if it does what I think it does, then it'l be invaluable for future "debuggings"!!

Does a 3 wire serial null-modem cable work ok?