Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: bluetooth  (Read 4579 times)

Description:

Offline delshayTopic starter

• Show only replies by delshay
bluetooth
« on: November 27, 2006, 12:50:36 AM »
is it possible to use bluetooth pc-card or compact flash type bluetooth card on the amiga?

is it also possible via a scsi to pcmcia?
-------------
power is nothing without control

Offline keropi

• Show only replies by keropi
Re: bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 06:45:51 AM »
no, don't bother at all... there is no bluetooth stack.

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 07:21:13 AM »
The more modern PC-Cards won't work in A600/1200 since they use a PCI-style connection. Only old school PCMCIA cards (i.e. ISA) can work - as long as there's a driver.

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »
I have bought some time ago a serial BT adapter. I think it is meant to be used with printers, as it also have a Centronic parallel port. I intended by that time to use it on my accelerated and WiFi enabled A600.

I don't think a BT stack is required for that, as printers don't need one.
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 10:24:43 PM »
@Xanxi
I don't think a BT stack is required for that, as printers don't need one.

The printer doesn't. But anything that talks to the device does.

How are you supposed to make the Amiga talk to the device without the bluetooth stack?

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 10:28:00 PM »
Those devices are wireless parallel ports. One connects to the parallel port of the computer, the other connects to the printer. They use standard parallel port protocols to communicate so it is fully compatible with any parallel device, but the information is sent between the two units using bluetooth.

This device will not allow you to use bluetooth devices through the parallel port. It will only work with the corresponding printer part.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 10:57:49 PM »
> no, don't bother at all... there is no bluetooth stack.

And I'm not sure there ever will be. Last time I spoke with the Bluetooth SIG Marketing Director at the Bluetooth Open Houses in October, he said that I would have to pay 10,000 USD for qualifying my product (i.e. the Bluetooth Stack) and that it's very unlikely that the SIG will reduce that fee for me as a single developer.

I doubt you can imagine how this feels after spending a lot of time and work in developing the stack :-(
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 11:03:10 PM »
@motorollin

Ah, so basically it's no "bluetooth" device in a sense. The protocol between could aswell be "redhair" or "greenblob" :-)

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 11:26:21 PM »
Well, my Palm and my PC laptop can talk to this device plugged on the serial port of the miggy. I am sure there is a way to simulate a normal serial connection.
Those devices are intended to make BT ready devices wich only have old serial or parallel protocols.
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

Offline Rabbi

• Show only replies by Rabbi
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 11:56:49 PM »
What a bummer!  :pissed:

Chris, at least I want to thank you for trying! :bow:

And I'm not sure there ever will be. Last time I spoke with the Bluetooth SIG Marketing Director at the Bluetooth Open Houses in October, he said that I would have to pay 10,000 USD for qualifying my product (i.e. the Bluetooth Stack) and that it's very unlikely that the SIG will reduce that fee for me as a single developer.
--------------------------------------------------------
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
===================================================================
Computer used:     Amiga A1200 (NTSC version) with 128 MB ...

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 12:03:56 AM »
Thats an outrageous cost, do they  realise the amiga is dead....why so frickin much
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline motorollin

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 07:38:42 AM »
@platon24
What does that 10,000 get you? The right to develop a Bluetooth stack? Or some insider knowledge on the protocols?

@Piru
Spot on. Bluetooth is used as the physical and transport layers, but the protocol sitting on top of that is IEEE 1284.

@Xanxi
If the bluetooth device is sending RS232 serial data encapsulated in bluetooth packets, and the bluetooth transceiver you have connected to your serial port is capable of stripping out the bluetooth protocol from each packet and passing it to the serial port as bare RS232 data, then it could work. But this relies on the device sending such data (RS232 encapsulated in Bluetooth). In reality, most Bluetooth devices use protocols which are part of the full Bluetooth stack rather than wrapping RS232 in Bluetooth transport protocols. This means a full implementation of the Bluetooth stack would be required for AmigaOS to understand the traffic.

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 05:36:22 PM »

What does that 10,000 get you? The right to develop a Bluetooth stack? Or some insider knowledge on the protocols?

To get access to the Bluetooth specifications, you have to register and agree to some licence conditions. These conditions also include the use of the Bluetooth trademark and symbol, but only on products which have been previously qualified by the Bluetooth SIG. The qualifications process includes testing against the ProfileTestSuite (USD 7,000 standalone). Usually, these qualifications test is done by the Bluetooth Chipset Vendors for Bluetooth Devices. Companies with dedicated Bluetooth Stack IP like Broadcom, CSR, Microsoft, OpenInterface and IVT live on selling and licencing their Bluetooth products and hence, the USD 10,000 is a piece of cake.

If the bluetooth device is sending RS232 serial data encapsulated in bluetooth packets, and the bluetooth transceiver you have connected to your serial port is capable of stripping out the bluetooth protocol from each packet and passing it to the serial port as bare RS232 data, then it could work. But this relies on the device sending such data (RS232 encapsulated in Bluetooth). In reality, most Bluetooth devices use protocols which are part of the full Bluetooth stack rather than wrapping RS232 in Bluetooth transport protocols. This means a full implementation of the Bluetooth stack would be required for AmigaOS to understand the traffic.

No, that's not that easy. A bluetooth dongle for USB for example, sends USB packets. These USB packets build up a USB transfer. One USB transfer may contain an ACL packet, which can be fragmented across multiple USB transfers. Each ACL packet then again contains one or more L2CAP packets, which in turn can be fragmented across multiple ACL packets. The L2CAP packized data stream is the basis for higher level protocols such as RFCOMM. And you have guessed right, RFCOMM serial data packets are again multiplexed (up to 62 connections at the same time) for such a simple thing as a serial line, which is defined in the SerialPortProfile, using RFCOMM, using L2CAP, using ACL transport, using the USB HCI.

And this was just the data flow. Each layer has a separate control state machine for establishing a Bluetooth ACL link, a L2CAP connection, opening an RFCOMM channel.

And yeah, a few months ago, I had my BT MP3 Headsets working through A2DP, AVDTP, L2CAP and HCI. Sigh. And I opened my first RFCOMM channel...

Well, if somebody finds a legal hole in these licence agreements to avoid paying the 10,000 USD and still be able to release the stack, go ahead and tell me.
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

Offline motorollin

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 05:47:41 PM »
What I said about serial packets encapsulated in Bluetooth protocols was only in relation to Xanxi's serial port Bluetooth PDA connection thingy, which he said allowed serial PDAs to connect to the serial port through Bluetooth. Presumably these work in a similary way to bluetooth parallel ports, which wrap IEEE1284 packets in Bluetooth protocols to transport them.

I'm aware that USB bluetooth is much more complicated (and proprietary) - which is why I said a full bluetooth stack would be necessary for this to work.

If you develop a Bluetooth stack without their help, do you still have to pay the 10,000 if you want to release it?

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 12:59:41 AM »
How do Linux developers get around this issue? Ubuntu comes with a free and working Bluetooth stack, as I'm sure do many other distros...

- Ali