Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: do you remember your first internet session?  (Read 4072 times)

Description:

Offline neuroflipTopic starter

• Show only replies by neuroflip
    • http://a1200.wordpress.com
do you remember your first internet session?
« on: June 22, 2006, 11:11:06 AM »
Mine was at university, with a vt-220 running a VMS session and browsing with Lynx...

I remember searching Aminet the first time... wow! a great soft repository and everithing for my a500!!!

it was 15-16 years ago... and now i continue browsing aminet. it sounds graceful thinking about the time of life utility of this type of things.

:-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
[http://a1200.wordpress.com (spanish)
a1200 + Bliz1260/50Mhz/64Mb + HD10Gb + a520 svideo mod + Wireless PCMCIA Elsa MC-11 + PCMCIA CF + Adaptator + CF 256Mb + a500 + 512Kb]

Offline keropi

• Show only replies by keropi
Re: do you remember your first internet session?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 11:28:17 AM »
yes, trumpet winsock:

atx3w1%c3/n4
atdp 73711
go tia
join gaia

:-D  :-D  though I am not so sure about the gaia command.. lol

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 11:40:06 AM »
Mine, was on a RS/6000 cluster late in 1997, yahoo.com  :-D
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 12:04:36 PM »
Somewhere in 1996/7 I guess with my A1200 =).

Offline Failure

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Failure
    • http://awhitlock.net/
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 12:29:16 PM »
I first got onto the internet in 1995 with an email address on (now defunct) sid.net, which was actually a popular BBS here in the Atlanta area.  I FTP'd some files, etc, from URLs out of a book on virtual reality.  And I did this using my Commodore 64(!) using an 80-column "emulated" terminal and 1200bps modem :-)

First directly on the internet experience was a UNIX shell account on some university machine (some freenet), which I accessed from my high school.

Ah, memories...
You can\'t spell evil without "vi"
AMIX Wiki | AmixBP

Offline leofoe

• Show only replies by leofoe
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 12:33:47 PM »
Yeah, with my A4000 and ShapeShifter! Must have been in 1995 I guess.

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 12:50:52 PM »
Probably 1993 at University using Spry Mosaic browser, and a usenet reader which I don't remember the name of.

I remember hardly any of the websites I used to visit had domain names, so I had to write down lots of IP addresses.  And almost all websites didn't have any graphics just text.  I used to download at between 0.3 - 1.0KB/second.  Anything over 200KB was considered a big download.

Offline neuroflipTopic starter

• Show only replies by neuroflip
    • http://a1200.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 12:52:57 PM »

Failure wrote:

And I did this using my Commodore 64(!) using an 80-column "emulated" terminal and 1200bps modem :-)

Niceeee! I see that variety of experiences exists
 :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
[http://a1200.wordpress.com (spanish)
a1200 + Bliz1260/50Mhz/64Mb + HD10Gb + a520 svideo mod + Wireless PCMCIA Elsa MC-11 + PCMCIA CF + Adaptator + CF 256Mb + a500 + 512Kb]

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 12:58:51 PM »
Hmmm....   First INTERNET session?  Egads... That's a LONG time ago.  I... uhm... acquired (yeah, that's it) a list of phone numbers, baud rates, and terminal settings that happened to be available to some teachers at the local school system in the mid-to-late 80's.  I had no idea what they were to.  As a punk kid who enjoyed slacking off and getting away with it, personally, I was hoping it was the attendence / grading / records systems.  Plugged the phone number an settings into CCGMS and found myself at the at a dial-in terminal to Merit/Michnet.  Poked around on there a bit and started realizing this was a rather large network (ya don't say...  To my defense, I was probably only 12 or 13 years old...).   Seemingly nothing useful to my quest of getting my parents off my back about my grades and homework, I quickly lost interest in things like the weather center in Ann Arbor (MI).  I kept the settings sheet, though and would poke in from time to time to see if I found anything of interest.

I graduated high school in '92, and by the end of that summer, my friend and I shut down our last BBS, and I sold off a bunch of equipment, including my 9600 baud modem a few months later.  (early '93, I'd guess)...  The local BBS scene for Amiga was pretty stale.  I'd been on IRC and a few multi-line boards, but I grew tired of those, and didn't really need the 9600 for them, anyhow.   I needed some money, so out the door went the modem.  Didn't regret it a bit at the time.  

In late 1993, I sat down in the PC lab at the university.  Hmm....  What's this new "MOSAIC" icon?  HOLY @%)*@*@ this is cool!!!  I nose around a bit and learn that the first Amiga beta Mosaic version was just available for download a few days earlier.  After leaving the lab, I stopped by Best Buy and picked up a new 14.4k modem.  (ah, credit cards, a wonderful thing...)  Then it was off to hours (and days) of trying to configure AmiTCP.  (I had previously been using a dial-in to a TTY shell -- NOT using PPP -- this PPP and TCP configuration thing was a rude awakening.  Then, DNS?  grumble, grumble...  pilfer more information.)  

But, alas, it was all working.  Albeit, slowly.  Haven't really left the internet, since.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 01:26:29 PM »
Yes. 1b96aa2636c6874d63f91815ab054e0d, I think it was ;-)
int p; // A

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 01:32:30 PM »

My first time on the net, or at least chatting anyway (with an Amiga) I think I was using BlackIRC on my CD32 with SX-1 in 1996 I think. (of course before this I had used PC to browse and use AOL or mIRC)

It was an awesome feeling..it was a BlackIRC channel..I spoke to some German dude who was alone in some channel........he fortunately spoke english and explained to me why no one was in the channel...........I felt like me and him were the only people left in the world hehe.  I then Tried AmIRC and went to some amiga channel and server (Cant remember the name of server or channel) but there was some dude named LIZARD and maybe another guy named Jester........it had alot of people...about 10 or 15 anyway....which made me happy.

Still to this day I think AmIRC has a different and better feeling than any IRC client on any platform.
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline inewham

• Show only replies by inewham
    • http://www.iannewham.com
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 02:00:40 PM »
I remember being a Demon Internet customer when you could finger a certain machine and get a list of all the other subscribers in less than a screen full. Must have been about '92 ish?
ISTR they included email addresses too, what trusting times :-D

For non UK readers Demon became probably the UKs biggest ISP although they later declined.

Offline pVC

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 02:06:07 PM »
Hmmm.. I had my first email address through some BBS in 1994... first contact to web was in 1995 on some fair with some Silicon Graphics workstation :)
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Narayan

• Show only replies by Narayan
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 02:22:42 PM »
'96, 14.400 Boca, A600, university unix. Great times.

Offline fx

• Show only replies by fx
    • UHC Tools
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 02:30:06 PM »
I went with a friend (Hi Legerdemain!) to his brothers work, where they had Sun machines running Mosaic (I guess? Or could it have been Netscape?).

Anyhow, I remember us mostly using the "What's cool" button (in whatever browser it now was we were using) to find websites, and surfing lots of Calvin and Hobbes websites. Those where the times. :)
Slightly bored and severly confused..