Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why buy an AmigaOne?  (Read 815 times)

Description:

Offline Marky_D_SahdTopic starter

• Show only replies by Marky_D_Sahd
Why buy an AmigaOne?
« on: May 04, 2003, 02:20:56 AM »
(Might be the wrong forum... Moderator please check.)

I have everything for my new AmigaOne except the motherboard, but now I'm reconsidering.
I've seen PC motherboards at Fry's for under $100US.  I saw a whole emachines setup, with a 17in. monitor, speakers and printer for less than $600US at Costco today.

What will my $800 AmigaOne motherboard do that these won't?  Impressive graphics?  It's got the same video card as the others.  Stereo sound?  Same sound card.  Impressive graphics software?  Can't even get Photogenics for the Amiga any more.

Why, except for nostalgia, am I doing this?  I love the OS and hate M$ Winblows, but is the trade off worth it?  A hundred or so, maybe, but a SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLAR DIFFERENCE?

Somebody talk me back into this.  Developers please chime in.
Now featuring new and improved G4 AmigaOne, with Mozilla!

Re: Why buy an AmigaOne?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2003, 03:10:31 AM »
Duplicate topic:  locked

Offline volmer

• Show only replies by volmer
    • http://qeep.dk/~volmer/
Re: Why buy an AmigaOne?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 03:17:03 AM »
Hi,

I haven't used an Amiga for three years. I have little or no record in developing applications for AmigaOS. However, in my absence, I've developed some programming skills, and I do have some experience providing efficient (Amiga-like?) solutions on other platforms.

In short: This reply might not matter to you.

Anyway:

1) I see no reason to buy an AmigaOne at present time.
2) I will put effort into developing for MorphOS. Its userbase does seem quite real. That matters a lot to me.

My recommendations would be to put your hardware parts on hold, and wait for the Pegasos II to ship (and get that).

You mention Photogenics. Now, 'fxPaint 2.0' for MorphOS seems like a good successor to me.

I am looking forward to more details of 'MorphED' also. GoldED was, and still is, the (in my opinion) best editor I've used to this date. And I've been 'round a few in my absence from the Amiga platform.

I do hope Hyperion finishes AmigaOS 4.0 for a public showing. Maybe I'll change my mind following that, but right now the best choice seems to be the Pegasos/MorphOS platform for a new Amiga computer.

Feel free to pick on me for calling the mentioned platform an Amiga computer. I couldn't care less. It is.

~.~ volm