Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Installing drivers for Etherlink  (Read 2195 times)

Description:

Offline irishmikeTopic starter

• Show only replies by irishmike
    • http://www.jmikeneedham.net
Installing drivers for Etherlink
« on: June 07, 2006, 02:08:53 AM »
Hi all:

I have the drivers all copied onto my A1200 for my Etherlink III PCMCIA card and I am guessing that the file is corrupt or I am missing something.

When I run the "Installer" in the folder, the system kicks back "Unable to open your tool 'Installer'"  with Retry and Cancel buttons.

Is there something I need to do to make this script executable that I am missing?

This is a 3c589 and I am using the driver package from 3c589.lha.

Thanks,

\\"When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.\\"
- Marquis de la Grange

Offline Matt_H

Re: Installing drivers for Etherlink
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 03:09:27 AM »
Download this and copy Installer to your C: or SYS:Utilities directory.

Or manually install your ethernet drivers by copying 3c589.device to Devs:Networks and pccard.library to Libs:

Probably best to do the former since it'll save a lot of headaches later on.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 03:27:11 AM »
@Matt H

I did copy the files into the DEV and Lib as you mentioned

@everyone

I have tried installing AMITCP and it can't seem to load the network so I am not sure how to get around it.  The problem is that there is no domain name on my network really.   But it has trouble reaching the network according to the AmigaDOS window that is running.

I guess I need a pointer or two for how to configure this properly.

Thanks,

- Marquis de la Grange

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 03:29:27 AM »
After adding the Library to LIBS the AmigaDOS window now comes up but I am stuck with [CLI 1]... not sure what to do to get rid of the AmigaDOS window.

- Marquis de la Grange

Offline patrik

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 06:26:33 AM »
@irishmike:

Follow this guide to the letter and you will have a working AmiTCP installation. The only thing you will have to do different than the examples there is that you should use 3c589.device instead of cnet.device. Btw, remember that the interface-name can not contain any digits, so do not name it 3c589! Instead just let it be named ether as it is to start with.

Btw, regarding domain-name, it does not matter what you type in there, you could write irishmikesdomain.com. It will only per default try to complete hostnames without a domain-ending with that name - so if you try to access the host sven, it will first try to access sven, then if that fails - sven.irishmikesdomain.com.

/Patrik

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 10:40:38 AM »
@patrik

Thanks.  This looks like it will help.   I think I went wrong on the install by trying to copy the files onto the install directory.  I have version 2.2 on the Amiga currently... had to go to a friends to copy it over to an Amiga formatted disk, but the install script looks the same and I imagine that it will work better if I try again using that guide.

@everyone

Once I get a good working TCP... will it be easier to just FTP everything from my Linux box from the Amiga or what method would you use to get your files over to the Miggie once networking is enabled?

Thanks,

- Marquis de la Grange

Offline patrik

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 01:10:16 PM »
@irishmike:

A lot of networking software needs atleast AmiTCP 3.0 to work so use 3.0b2 instead of 2.2.

Imho, the best thing would be to use NFS (see help/ch_nfsc in the AmiTCP 3.0b2 archive) or smbfs.

Both of these allows you to mount shares from your linux pc like regular volumes on your Amiga with an icon poping up on your Workbench, allowing you to access files over the network just like they were a local harddrive - much more convenient than having to first download files with a ftp-client before using them.

I use smbfs, but that is mostly because samba already is running on my linux pc to enable me to mount its shares on my windows pc.

I use the following two lines in a script-file to mount my homedir from my linux pc (192.168.0.1):
Code: [Select]
stack 65536
C:smbfs workgroup=megaburken.net user=patrik password=xxxxxxxx service=//192.168.0.1/patrik device=SMBFS0: volume=Megaburken: quiet
You ofcourse have to change workgroup, user, password and service to match the settings of your linux pc.

/Patrik

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 04:12:24 PM »
@patrik

That is well and good, the problem is I prevailed upon a friend to get my NIC card drivers and AmiTCP (2.2) which I downloaded to an Amiga formatted disk for my A1200... I have to get the TCP stack working under that version and then I can bring over the other files (which reside on my Linux box) in the matter which you suggest.  The problem is getting the 3.0b2 archive to my Amiga -- I have been waiting 2 weeks to get what I have copied over.  Hopefully I can get 2,2 up and running and then make changes.

@everyone

Would be able to accomplish this if I had my SCSI CD writer hooked up.  The main problem is the cost of the SCSI adapter and I really either need my networking up and running or the CD writer hooked up.   Anyhow, appreciate any help offered.

- Marquis de la Grange

Offline patrik

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 04:51:23 PM »
You don't happen to have any DD diskettes (the ones with only the write-protect hole)? If not, get a regular HD diskette and tape over the hole on the opposite side of the write-protect hole. The HD diskette will most likely not work well very long as a DD diskette, but it will suffice to transfer a file.

When you have fixed a disk, doubleclick on  Storage/Dosdrivers/PC0 on your workbench-partition and you will be able to read/write pc-formatted disks.

Under most OS:es on a PC, it is a bit tricky to format a DD diskette, so just insert it in the Amigas drive and doubleclick on System/Format on your workbench-partition. In that program, select PC0: and format it.

You can fit 720kB on a pc-formatted DD-disk and as the AmiTCP 3.0b2 archive only is 686kB, there will be no problems fitting it.

/Patrik

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 07:20:17 PM »
@patrik

I am trying the Floppy idea right now.  It seemed that they were all formatted under Windows NT (the DD's I have) and Linux puts Fat32 formats on them.   My OS 3.0 WB didn't read them IIRC.   But I think I have a couple that were truly formatted in DOS.  So I will give it a try.

This leaves one thing.  I need to remove the botched install of 2.2 any ideas?

- Marquis de la Grange

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 07:29:03 PM »
@patrik

As I remembered, on my A1200, PC formatted floppies only come up as DF0:????  and can not be read.   Probably no CrossDOS on her.  

Definitely need to remove the old 2.2 Installation though.  

- Marquis de la Grange

Offline patrik

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 07:43:16 PM »
@irishmike:

WB3.0 comes bundled with CrossDOS, but it is not activated per default.

Read what I wrote in my previous message - to be able to read/write PC-formatted disks you need to doubleclick on the "PC0" icon in the Storage/Dosdrivers/ drawer on your Workbench-partition! This will activate CrossDOS. If you want it to always be activated, move the "PC0" icon to the Devs/Dosdrivers/ drawer on your Workbench-partition.

Read the rest of my previous message again to see how to format the disk on your Amiga.

To remove AmiTCP 2.2, open your S:User-Startup file in a text-editor, find the AmiTCP section and remove it. After a reboot, remove the AmiTCP-drawer from where you put it during install. Thats all there is to it.

/Patrik

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 07:45:26 PM »
@patrik

We'll give her another try :-)  I do appreciate the help BTW ;-)
- Marquis de la Grange

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 08:00:50 PM »
@patrik

We're off and running.  I am now in the process of installing AmiTCP via your guide.  Thanks for the help!

- Marquis de la Grange

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 08:30:01 PM »
@patrik

The installation is working on the Amiga now.  Many thanks to your help :-)

Now can we please go back to how to mount my Linux box on my AMI?  You said that we could do it using NFS... Which I prefer since I do not have a windows box anywhere and therefore I do not believe that I have setup Samba on the Linux box... the daemon loads, but I am sure I have never configured it.

Could you talk about writing scripts a bit?  Is this just open ed and write the lines and then run him, or is there more to it?  Do you have an example of how to do the NFS side.

Appreciate it.

- Marquis de la Grange