amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

» Amiga.org » Coffee House » CH / Politics » At least 1000(!) British soldiers have deserted since start of Iraq war!!!

CH / Politics This is the correct place for open, moderated discussions of a political nature. Registered Users only.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:57 AM   #16
Cyberus
Guru Meditator
Points: 20,967, Level: 91 Points: 20,967, Level: 91 Points: 20,967, Level: 91
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Re: At least 1000(!) British soldiers have deserted since start of Iraq war!!!

@ Wilse

I entirely agree with your first point. When I've said to friends recently, "I feel sorry for the British soldiers out in Iraq right now". I've often got the reply "But they should have thought about that (the fact that they'd be shot at, etc) when they joined up".
The thing is, when I was 17 or 18 I didn't know the things I know about the world that I do now. Thus I think a lot of these poor buggers out there actually didn't know what they were letting themselves in for. I know I wouldn't have if I'd have joined the army when I was 18 (something I toyed with for a number of years).
Old 05-30-2006, 02:22 AM   #17

Default Re: At least 1000(!) British soldiers have deserted since start of Iraq war!!!

Quote:
Wilse wrote:
Quote:
nicholas wrote:
Quote:
I'm afraid that isn't true. They *should* know but many don't.
When it comes down to it, the truth of the matter is this:

They will shoot and be shot at.
I think you're well aware that I wasn't referring to that.
Shooting is not what I have a problem with, it's the reasons for the shooting.
You've said yourself that if this country was occuppied by a brutal foreign force, you'd have no problem shooting at them.
Damn right i'd shoot them.

Thing is if you don't realise people will try to kill you, and have no concept of what a war zone is like, then IMNSHO you deserve everything you get for being ignorant.

edit:

I'd like to add that I have no sympathy nor time for ignorant people. Ignorance is an easily cured disease.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:05 AM   #18
jkirk
Cult Member
Points: 6,979, Level: 55 Points: 6,979, Level: 55 Points: 6,979, Level: 55
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Quote:
nicholas wrote:
Quote:
Blair has single-handedly destroyed my illusions about the British military.
I have never been under any illusion regarding the British Military, unless you count playing soldiers aged 5.

Anyone who joins the Military knows what they are signing up for. If they get killed then they have no-one to blame but themselves. Illegal war or not.
i disagree with you nicholas. you see i did join the military. as i lived in the boondocks(middle of nowhere), i received only one channel of programming and the internet did not exist for the common man. as such i knew nothing about the military other than the fact that we were at peace and the propoganda packets the military hands out. so yes there are a lot in the military that don't know what they are getting into.
jkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:51 AM   #19
Speelgoedmannetje
Guru Meditator
Points: 27,649, Level: 98 Points: 27,649, Level: 98 Points: 27,649, Level: 98
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Send a message via MSN to Speelgoedmannetje Send a message via Skype™ to Speelgoedmannetje

Quote:
Wilse wrote:
Quote:
Speelgoedmannetje wrote:
I agree with Nicholas on this one, you must always keep in mind that a country can go down the drain extremely quickly.
That's a lovely sentiment but when one grows up with a propaganda-tinted view of the virtue of their country, they don't neccessarily think that way.

No one ever told me to keep an eye on what UK military would be used for. In my family and peer group they were generally viewed very honourably.

I think several on this thread underestimate the level of ignorance of these issues in certain sections of society, mine included.
Owkay, I thought it was common knowledge in post ww2 Europe. :-?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:38 AM   #20
Wilse
Premium Member
Points: 22,616, Level: 93 Points: 22,616, Level: 93 Points: 22,616, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Quote:
nicholas wrote:
Quote:
Wilse wrote:

Shooting is not what I have a problem with, it's the reasons for the shooting.
You've said yourself that if this country was occuppied by a brutal foreign force, you'd have no problem shooting at them.
Damn right i'd shoot them.
Well there you are, then.

Quote:
Thing is if you don't realise people will try to kill you, and have no concept of what a war zone is like, then IMNSHO you deserve everything you get for being ignorant.
If you read what I've written, it's rather obvious that I was never ignorant of the fact that one may be shot at, nor that one may have to shoot at others.
My ignorance lay in the reasons that one could be ordered to shoot.
An entirely different issue altogether.

Quote:
I'd like to add that I have no sympathy nor time for ignorant people. Ignorance is an easily cured disease.
A somewhat ignorant statement itself, if I may be so bold.
Unless of course there is no fact in existence that you are ignorant of. ;-)
Some more experimental stuff here.
Wilse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:56 AM   #21
jkirk
Cult Member

Quote:
does an ignorant person know he/she is ignorant? how do you prove that? hell what is truth? how do you know you found it? how do you know an ignorant person has the ability to find the truth? is it ignorant to think ignorance is curable? how do you prove it?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:22 PM   #22

Quote:
My ignorance lay in the reasons that one could be ordered to shoot.
But surely one joins the military knowing full well that they will do everything they are ordered to do without question?

I know you are not a liar Robert, but I can't believe that you would be so naive to think otherwise.

Quote:
A somewhat ignorant statement itself, if I may be so bold.

Ignorance is laziness, pure and simple. I have no time for the lazy.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #23

Quote:
jkirk wrote:
Quote:
does an ignorant person know he/she is ignorant? how do you prove that? hell what is truth? how do you know you found it? how do you know an ignorant person has the ability to find the truth? is it ignorant to think ignorance is curable? how do you prove it?
Self education.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:09 PM   #24
Cyberus
Guru Meditator
Points: 20,967, Level: 91 Points: 20,967, Level: 91 Points: 20,967, Level: 91
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

following up on what jkirk said, how does anyone know what 'ignorance' is?
Every way of looking at life is flawed, should any one be more flawed than another?
Old 05-30-2006, 05:50 PM   #25
Wilse
Premium Member
Points: 22,616, Level: 93 Points: 22,616, Level: 93 Points: 22,616, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Quote:
nicholas wrote:
But surely one joins the military knowing full well that they will do everything they are ordered to do without question?

I know you are not a liar Robert, but I can't believe that you would be so naive to think otherwise.
I had no problem with having to follow orders. Rather, I had misguided trust that the military would not be misused.
Some more experimental stuff here.
Wilse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:04 PM   #26
Hyperspeed
Defender of the Faith

Anyone thinking of joining the army might consider a quick game of paintball first.

When I went recently I spent half a day running through trees getting picked off by groups of hardcore paintballers.

No matter how hard you try to evade being shot or how feirce you return fire you will inevtiably get 'injured' or taken out.

Now apply this crossfire and skirmish scenario to real war with real munitions, coupled with aerial bombardment, nerve agents and possible nuclear exchange and you should be getting a pretty good idea that the only fairly safe place to be is at No.10 or the Whitehouse.

I don't mean to tarnish all US and UK soldiers with the same brush though, there still are 'a few good men' but Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo and the recent massacre stories by US troops and the Deepcut Army Barracks recruits in the UK being bullied to death just strike a chord with me.
Hyperspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:27 PM   #27
Glaucus
Energizer Bunny of Babble
Points: 14,663, Level: 78 Points: 14,663, Level: 78 Points: 14,663, Level: 78
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Quote:
Wilse wrote:
Do you think I'm lying?
No, what I meant is I disagree with you...

Quote:
Anyone who's semi-intelligent should have figured out.....
Yeah, well - *SHOULD* have doesn't mean *will* have.[/quote]But you didn't enlist, so why are you so upset? I wasn't talking about the Wilse's in the world, but about the Fades & Smerfs.

Quote:
Decide for yourself whether my former ignorance marks me down as less than semi-intelligent but the main conflicts my country got involved in during my life were the Falklands and the first Gulf war.
Well I too was once fascinated by all things military and even stated that I would enlist, but by about the time I was in highschool the Gulf War happened and it was then that I realized that it's all BS.

Quote:
My Naiive faith in British 'morality' no longer exists but to smugly assert that everyone of enlistment age is also aware of the truth makes you almost as naiive as I used to be.
I think the evidence is out there and anyone who takes a second to look will find it. There are many things that draw people to the military, and for some it's just the thrill of it all, while others join because they simply have no other choice. Luckily I did have a choice and I assume so did you.

Quote:
Quote:
Although defending one's country and way of life is an honorable thing, that's not something anyone in any of the Western militaries should expect to do. Instead you'll be protecting "interests", and not those of your own. Why anyone would choose to become a pawn is beyond me. No thanks!
I completely agree with this now. Not when I was a teenager, though.
Perhaps you're right. There are many reasons why militaries want to recruit boys before they're properly educated in secondary schools.

- Mike
Old 05-31-2006, 05:20 AM   #28
jkirk
Cult Member

Quote:
nicholas wrote:
Quote:
jkirk wrote:
Quote:
Self education.
and if what they learn is wrong it is still ignorance.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:28 AM   #29

Yes, because as I said ignorance==laziness, and one should strive to always be seeking the truth. Education doesn't stop, it is an ongoing process.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:58 AM   #30
jkirk
Cult Member

Quote:
nicholas wrote:
Yes, because as I said ignorance==laziness, and one should strive to always be seeking the truth. Education doesn't stop, it is an ongoing process.
how do you define if a person is lazy or just misinformed?

you see a person can seek the truth and think they found it and it still can be wrong.
take what you have just said ignorance==laziness. that is an ignorant statement because you are not taking into account a person who is actively seeking the truth but does not have access to(or has not found)documents, theories, etc that is in conflict with his/her known truth.

also if a person has found the truth(in a certain situation) and stops looking for the truth(in that same situation) can also be labeled as ignorant according to your statement.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.