Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Converting PAL Amiga500 to NTSC  (Read 2119 times)

Description:

Offline justinr12Topic starter

• Show only replies by justinr12
Converting PAL Amiga500 to NTSC
« on: May 04, 2006, 01:56:58 AM »
I've been contemplating getting either a PAL A500 or A500+ off eBay and possibly converting it to an NTSC system (including a proper power supply for 110V).  What hardware outside of the proper Denise and Angus chips would I need, and would it even be feasible to do so?

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
Re: Converting PAL Amiga500 to NTSC
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 03:03:06 AM »
The only reason you'd want to convert a PAL A500 to NTSC is to hook it to a TV set.  If you have a 1084S monitor and a Fat Agnus then you can switch modes with NTSCBoot option on Degrader.  Since most software runs in PAL mode it is actually preferred to have a PAL system even in the US.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 03:15:14 AM »
Hmm, that's quite interesting (specially since I've an original copy of Pac-Mania for the A500).  So I take it if I got the 1084S, all I would really need afterwards is the 110V power brick?

Offline SamuraiCrow

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 03:28:30 AM »
Correct.  Any RGB analog monitor with the proper PAL scan rate support will do.  The deal with the Commodore 1084S monitor is that it was designed for the Amiga and likely will come with the correct cable adapter for an Amiga 500.  (Be sure to ask if you see one on EBay.  The adapter cables can be hard to track down if the monitor doesn't come with one.)

Also, watch out for older 1084 monitors that have a round connector on the back.  These had a problem with the heat causing the solder to "putty" (meaning the connections on the 1084 system board degrade and would cost so much to repair that you'd be better off getting a different model).

Offline Jope

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 07:43:21 AM »
Also, watch out for older 1084 monitors that have a round connector on the back.  These had a problem with the heat causing the solder to "putty" (meaning the connections on the 1084 system board degrade and would cost so much to repair that you'd be better off getting a different model).

Well a soldering iron + some tin is not that expensive?

Usually the flyback transformer joints crack, all you need to do is resolder those with a bit of fresh solder and off you go.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 12:02:12 PM »
Usually the flyback transformer joints crack, all you need to do is resolder those with a bit of fresh solder and off you go.

Not exactly a job for someone who doesn't know what they're doing, though.  Ye olde flyback holds some voltage to it, even after being unplugged for a while.....

As for the PAL/NTSC question...  Does a North American 1084 display actual PAL colors or only the NTSC colors placed into a PAL frequency that, supposedly, an NTSC Amiga produces when switched to PAL?  I've heard conflicting stories on this, and quite honestly, don't know if there's anything to it or people just messing with our minds.  (Certainly there are a lot of varients out there concerning NTSC and PAL...)

EDIT:  I guess what I'm pondering is does a PAL Amiga switch to PAL-M or true NTSC, and would this matter to a North American 1084?

Offline c64_d0c

• Show only replies by c64_d0c
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 12:29:51 PM »
good luck!!
________
ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:00:06 AM by c64_d0c »
On schedule and rockin\\\'!!!1!!

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 12:55:40 PM »
@Ilwrath

The only serious difference between PAL and NTSC when dealing with RGB signals is the vertical scan rate of 50 and 60 Hz. Color is not encoded (which it is for composite signaling), so it's absolutely the same for both standards.

Offline SamuraiCrow

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 04:31:47 PM »
You only need to worry about the colorburst signal on an A600/1200 since they have the composite/TV tuner signal built in.  On an A500 you'd only need to worry about setting a bit in the startup-sequence and getting an appropriate A520 TV/composite encoder.

Regarding the solder joints on the older 1084 monitors, the main cost isn't the materials, it's the time.  You not only have to replace the old solder but you have to scrape the connections off and, as was mentioned earlier, there are some electrocution hazards involved in working with monitors.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 05:46:55 PM »
@Zac67

Ah!  Ok, so the RGB isn't affected, but the Composite and RF are.  Makes sense when I think about it.  Thanks for clearing that in my mind.  :-)

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 08:35:28 PM »
This is wonderful.  Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread for all of the information provided.