Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne Alive?  (Read 10462 times)

Description:

Offline KernelTopic starter

• Show only replies by Kernel
AmigaOne Alive?
« on: March 13, 2006, 05:32:31 PM »
Is there any hope of ever obtaining a new AmigaOne?  What are the best prospects for a new mothetboard?  And how does one get OS4 if they did get a motherboard?

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
Re: AmigaOne Alive?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 05:50:58 PM »
answers to your questions, in order:

slender.
not a lot at the mo.
look in the packaging it arrived in. ;-)
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 07:00:01 PM »
There is a rumor of some new MicroA1-c going into production but I've had problems with mine.  I'm hoping things will go better with the PowerVixxen LT in my A1200 (if and when it ever comes out).  If that doesn't work out the Troika Amy '05 should be out soon also.

Offline Colin_Camper

• Show only replies by Colin_Camper
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 07:06:03 PM »
Is there any hope of ever obtaining a new AmigaOne?

Zero

What are the best prospects for a new mothetboard?

I'd say Troika (100%) but it has been delayed.
PowerVixxen was supposed to be a 'cert' by now but seems to be 'vapourising'....

And how does one get OS4 if they did get a motherboard?

Under the license Hyperion are supposed to operate by, AmigaOS4 is always bundled with the board unless it is the special PhaseV/DCE version.
Colin Camper CCNP MCSE P45 UB40
A4000D

Offline Kathyone

• Show only replies by Kathyone
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 05:08:59 AM »
I am currently negotiating with Hyperion to provide a new amiga motherboard or using an existing or brand new design.
I want Hyperion to eliminate the need for a ROM, or I'll have to add a new one to the board design. This will slow things down.  However, flash ROM won't be much of a problem.
I want to use a dual core set-up.

Hyperion was foolish to make it one board specific.
They now say on their website that they will work with you to port the OS to a new chip if necessary. I was thinking of AMD. The chips are well supported and have a future.

Kathy Elliott
Mystical Rose Technologies
Former Amiga Developer and OS Tester

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 08:04:08 AM »

This sounds interesting.

Timescale ?
The Reluctant Pom

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 08:12:56 AM »
kathyone: rofl , good try.

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline justthatgood

• Show only replies by justthatgood
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 09:38:46 AM »
Ever feel like some people are waiting for the coming of the Messiah?  Maybe it has to do something about some peoples' professed faith in certain "religions" whatever they be. :-?
[color=008000]Pluto[/color]:Amiga4KD- 64040/16megs/1GB WD/PAR 2150/1942/WB3.0,3.1,3.9
[color=800080]Amanda[/color]:Amiga2KHD/A2620/8MegSupraRam2k/A2091/VLab

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 11:02:55 AM »
They now say on their website that they will work with you to port the OS to a new chip if necessary. I was thinking of AMD. The chips are well supported and have a future.

Never mind OS4, AROS is already working on your first step (x86-64 native) and could do it far cheaper then Hyperion.  The x86-64 native port bounty sure could use some donations.  Michal is reworking the AROS kernel to be modular for a bunch of future improvements to bring AROS to modern OS capabilities.  :-)

Dammy
TeamAROS
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline sys64738

• Show only replies by sys64738
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 12:09:33 PM »
Amiga One is dead IMHO.
Better go for Pegasos.

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 04:27:33 PM »

Kathyone wrote:
I am currently negotiating with Hyperion to provide a new amiga motherboard or using an existing or brand new design.
I want Hyperion to eliminate the need for a ROM, or I'll have to add a new one to the board design. This will slow things down.  However, flash ROM won't be much of a problem.

Kathy Elliott

If hardware vendors will still need to negotiate with the AmigaOS producers or owners, and AmigaOS will still only be allowed to be sold for "Amiga motherboards", then what's the difference?

AmigaOS would still be dead, only it would be dead on a better CPU this time. :P

Nevertheless, good luck!
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 08:43:25 PM »
On schedule, and suing

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 09:08:36 PM »

Seehund wrote:

Kathyone wrote:

Kathy Elliott

If hardware vendors will still need to negotiate with the AmigaOS producers or owners, and AmigaOS will still only be allowed to be sold for "Amiga motherboards", then what's the difference?

AmigaOS would still be dead, only it would be dead on a better CPU this time. :P

Nevertheless, good luck!

I don't understand what she's saying.  AmigaOS 4.x is PPC, that's the only CPU Hyperion have a contract for.  And if AmigaOS did get ported to x86-64 then I'd want to be able to go to Scan or Aria and choose my own motherboard, not have someone over at AmigaInc telling me what motherboard I can use and who I have to buy it from - that's just insane.

In other words, what is she going to be selling?  Sounds like she wants to design and manufacture her own x86 motherboard, which will only be produced in small quantities and no doubt be high priced / low specced because of it, plus the obligatory Amiga 'name tax'.

Meanwhile there are hundreds of off-the-shelf, tried and tested, high-performance, low-cost x86 motherboards already available for me to buy any time I like.

Why the heck would I want to buy hers?

I was against AmigaOS on x86 or for a long time.  But now, I think that if AmigaOS 4 had gone to x86 from day 1, instead of the AmigaOne debacle, there's be tens of thousands of OS4 users right now.  Still a drop in the ocean, but a vast improvement on the current situation.

Offline huronking

• Show only replies by huronking
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 10:38:24 PM »
Oh come on, you're acting like they never sent out the T-Shirts...

:-D  :-D  :-D

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 11:32:28 PM »

Kathyone wrote:

Kathy Elliott

Why waste your time and resources? You may as well throw your money into the fireplace, the Amiga is dead, end of story.