Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 1000 ebay frenzy!?  (Read 1757 times)

Description:

Offline TjLaZerTopic starter

Amiga 1000 ebay frenzy!?
« on: February 07, 2006, 04:02:37 AM »
WTF is going on with the A1000 ebay frenzy?

Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
Re: Amiga 1000 ebay frenzy!?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 04:08:25 AM »
I'm not sure, but I also noticed that. The only thing I can think of is the case looks pretty true to the original color. I have 3 of them sitting around here, one with an ICD Adspeed in it and another with some sort of Kickstart modification (boots to WB 1.2 prompt).

I tried to get one of them going to test some hardware the other day and they all have floppy drive issues.  Seeing this makes me want to get at least one of them all cleaned up and working!

Jeff

Offline justthatgood

• Show only replies by justthatgood
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 04:20:19 AM »
Probably because it's so clean I guess.  Maybe it's a resurgence of Amiga Admoration?  Who knows.
[color=008000]Pluto[/color]:Amiga4KD- 64040/16megs/1GB WD/PAR 2150/1942/WB3.0,3.1,3.9
[color=800080]Amanda[/color]:Amiga2KHD/A2620/8MegSupraRam2k/A2091/VLab

Offline drewz21

• Show only replies by drewz21
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 04:24:53 AM »
Well, I'm one of the ones bidding on it.  I'm not sure how high I'm willing to go but the A1000 is the one I've always wanted.  I can remember seeing it in the store at my local Commodore store way back when.

It looks in great shape, has some nice expansion, and the signatures are on it.

It probably has something to do with my coming back to Amiga so we'll see.

BTW...my 1200 should be here soon.  I'm excited about that too!
Amiga - The fun computer!

Amiga 500 - 3MB, A590, 250MB HD, SupraTurbo28.
Amiga 1200HD - 32MB, 4GB CF-Card, GVP 68030-40Mhz.
Amiga 600HD

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 04:32:48 AM »
Well considering I payed over $2400 for my first Amiga 3000T with O40 in (in 1992 if I remember right) The A4000D came out less then 7 monrths later :-( If I would have payed a little more attention I would have just waited.

In 1995 I bought a used A4000D with the Toaster 4000 flyer system for $5000 that I have spent so much more on since then :-D
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 04:48:48 AM »
I had a lot of fun on a friend's 1000, but still don't think I would bother buying one now.  I like the case, and love the keyboard, but I can't really see the point of having one today, other than for nostalgia.  Unfortunately, nostalgia doesn't pay the rent.

My friend used to write his assignments on a 1000, sitting in an armchair some meters away from the comp, with an extra long keyboard cable, and the keyboard on his lap.  I can't remember which word processor he used, but it had the option of different background and text colours, and a good zoom function.  The guy is dyslexic, so it was just perfect for him to tune the colours to suit his vision difficulties, and be able to relax in an armchair while writing.  I don't think any other computer offered that, at that time.  I thought it was really cool.

We also used to watch Robotech cartoons on his monitor, which, as a Mac user, I thought was just damned cool.
Good good study, day day up!

Offline K7HTH

• Show only replies by K7HTH
    • http://NewPeopleString.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 05:07:29 AM »
The 2MB of Chip RAM could also have something to do with it.  :-D
Own the Web... Go PeopleString! It\'s Huge!!

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 05:09:26 AM »
@drew

Well, it is a NICE looking 1000 from the pictures and the Spirit insider board is Treat! My Spirit Octabyte and Zorro adapter (X-Ram for the 1000) cost about $700.00 including 8 megs of ram.

Enjoy:-D

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 05:50:28 AM »
Hey, it's a bargain.  I paid $750.00 for my used A1000 in 1988, then spent a fortune to add the IDE controller, huge 105mb HD and 1.5mb Spirit RAM daughter card.  I had more fun and lost more sleep with that machine than any since then and I didn't even scratch the surface of what the Amiga is capable of doing.  I am still trying to learn enough to take advantage of half of the Amiga's potential.  I still like the design of the A1000 and feel very nostalgic about it.  I will always keep my original A1000.

I wish everyone here would get over the obsession about the prices on eBay.  Sometimes you can find a bargain there, but most of the time there are too many interested bidders to allow low or what people here would consider reasonable prices.  You can look at this in two ways, 1. the prices are too high and prevent you from getting what you want at a price you can afford and think is fair, or 2. you can appreciate that there is still an active interest in the Amiga and the high prices of the auctions increase the worth of the Amiga equipment that you already own.

The glass is half empty or half full, you choose which way to see it.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline TjLaZerTopic starter

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 06:35:36 AM »
Damn I have a nice mint A1000 here with original keyboard and mouse, with Starboard II 2MB, Supra 4X4 30MB HD, Amiga 1080 monitor, and Amiga 1010 drive, all in minty new shape!

Ony paid $20 for the A1000 itself.  All in all I paid about $150 for this whole setup but thats seperate parts.
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline justthatgood

• Show only replies by justthatgood
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 10:55:53 AM »
@Tonyvdb

:-o At least in the 90's you were able to be able to spend that much for a computer, an Amiga at that.  I remember come about 1994 I was 14 really only had about $400 to spend. That came from many many hard months of pushing newspaper subscriptions to a lot of people.

At that time we lived on an Air Force Base but were moving because my dad unlisted at the time, so I wasn't going to be able to have the luxury of getting things around so easily.  Besides, at that time, I was on a kinda ban from from computer  items (I don't remember why), so I know I wouldn't have been able to get a computer, though I knew I wanted one. I do remember that I had the choice of getting this one guys 1960's Volkswagon Beetle (it was pink with some rust, but I'm sure we could have fixed that) or a stereo system.  Me being a freak I picked the stereo system.

We then moved off the base into the strange world of civilian life. A little bit of time passed, I was in High School. I remember I used to be very very good with computers back in the day. I used to do a little bit of programming on my Atari 800 with the cool 1050 that I had when I was 8 years old. Messing with the Radio Shack TRS-80's in the day.

Also I knew and learned the Apple //e to be a very much part of my life. Matter of fact I think my entire class wasn't able to use the computers alone, because someone got a disk with a program that I wrote mixed up with one of the real program disk and one of the teachers saw it. Trust me, I wasn't going to say a thing (yeah they would have hung me on the spot.) but it was cool I guess.  :-D

Anyways back to the 1994. Yeah, I was in high school and I wanted my own computer.  My dad had one and he really didn't want me using his, so I wanted to get a job. Well the only job I could get was working at fast food joint, and I worked  hard at that job. The search for the computer for me went on.  One day they saw a computer in a pawnshop that I would be able to afford.  The manager at the time didn't know much about computer I guess, and my dad struck a deal with him to acquire the system for what I guess was a fair price then.  

I remember I managed to be able to save up about $250 dollars from my job, and borrowed some money from my mom.  Later I think my dad did some computer consulting for the guy at the store and I was able to bring home my system.  Ha ha, yeah don't laugh.  

Packard Bell Legend 20CD
486/66Mhz
4MB of Ram
100MB Hard Drive
4x Cdrom
Aztech Sound built in
Keyboard, funky mouse
Monitor with Speakers
Crappy 2400 interal modem
and of course Win 3.11

Yeah I think this computer was used in an office.  Well it sucked. Really it did.  I'm surprised that I managed to keep my computer alive as long as it did. I remember PB customer service sucked. When ever anything went wrong with the computer you had to yank the bios, and you would have to reset all the settings for the hard drive in manually.

I even remember when I got a chance to find a 14k modem that someone had throw out. I plugged the modem in (I had my own phone line, still no car) and dialed up some BBS numbers I got from school. I heard from people around the state and country that were using Ataris, Apples, C64's, and a few people that even had Amigas. I got thrilled by places with forbidden and exotic names like Pirates Harbor and the such (i'm sure some of your know the buzz of BBS's when they were really alive,)

Ahh the good all days of BBS's. I then later went on to get real internet access, NEW 33k modem, and since then It's been none stop now.  Never did get my license until I was 18 though.  Still kinda wish I would have had an Amiga from back in the day though

:ranting:
[color=008000]Pluto[/color]:Amiga4KD- 64040/16megs/1GB WD/PAR 2150/1942/WB3.0,3.1,3.9
[color=800080]Amanda[/color]:Amiga2KHD/A2620/8MegSupraRam2k/A2091/VLab

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 12:08:59 PM »
I don't get it!

I do not see the, talked about, frenzy?

The A1000 is way much more computing history than the A500 is. Unlike the A500, A600 or the A1200 I don't see anything odd with an A1000 going for something a bit above €100. It is the very first Amiga, and it isn't the most common piece of hardware to stumble across. I, for one, haven't seen one IRL in my entire life.

To be able to find hardware second hand for bargains, isn't always the same as the hardware not being worth something in reality. I think paying more than €20 for a standard A500 is insane, but still I see them sell for almost €100 at times. That is frenzy, because the hardware isn't worth that much. If I find an A500 at a flea market, for €15, I don't find it cheap, I find it reasonable. But it I were to find an A1000 for anything less than $50, I would consider that insanely cheap. A true bargain.

Just my two cents.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 02:06:24 PM »
There are second hand computer dealers around Perth, Australia, who frequently have 1000's and 600's.  You can often name whatever price you want to pay.  Generally, they don't think much of the hardware, or don't particularly care.  One used to see boxes of disks around quite a lot too, but not much any more.  It's very rare to see a 1200, 3000 or 4000 in for sale like that though, because there are still people around who want to use them.  Anyway, I don't see a lot of use for a 1000, so to me it's surprising to see them sell for much.

@justthatgood: What is the legal driving age in USA?  Is it the same for all states?
Good good study, day day up!

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 02:53:53 PM »

drewz21 wrote:
It looks in great shape, has some nice expansion, and the signatures are on it.

Those signatures are in fact in every single A1000 in existance.

Offline drewz21

• Show only replies by drewz21
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 03:35:44 PM »
Wow odin, I never knew that.  Hmmmmm....

Well if it doesn't go much higher I'll still buy it but if that other guy continues to bid-war with me I may look elsewhere.  It does appear to be a very nice machine though and the extras with it are nice.

I guess we'll just see...

Amiga - The fun computer!

Amiga 500 - 3MB, A590, 250MB HD, SupraTurbo28.
Amiga 1200HD - 32MB, 4GB CF-Card, GVP 68030-40Mhz.
Amiga 600HD