Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Winner 4-DEV IDE Interface  (Read 771 times)

Description:

Offline jgrattonTopic starter

• Show only replies by jgratton
Winner 4-DEV IDE Interface
« on: January 13, 2006, 09:29:40 PM »
Could anyone help please?
I am new to the scene and I am currently building an Amiga A1200 Tower. I have purchased a Winner 4-DEV buffered IDE Interface. I have installed OS3.9 ok onto a 3.5" 20gb drive, But it is the CD-ROM drive that I am having the problem with. In the page of documentation that came with the interface it suggests using IDE-fix97 to use the second channel on the interface. If I connect the CD-ROM as a slave on the primary channel with the HD the drive works but the machine is slow to boot and is slow to access the HD as if it is slowed to the speed of the CD. If I connect the CD-ROM to the secondary channel the system boots ok but I cannot get IDE-fix 97 to find the CD-ROM. When it goes into the search drive the system hangs. If I skip this and tell it that the drive is on atapi.device unit 2 and call it CD1 the drive works. That is until I reboot the system. Then it complains that the drive could not be found. I think I have tracked it down to the type of 4 IDE interface you select in the preferences in IDE-fix 97, But I don't know wich is the correct one to select as there is no acual mention of the WINNER interface. As I say it all works if I connect to the primary channel although it slows the system down so I can only think it is not using the interface in this configuration at all.

Does anyone know of the WINNER 4-DEV IDE Interface?
If so do you know if it requires a specific driver to work?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan. :-?

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
Re: Winner 4-DEV IDE Interface
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 11:20:30 PM »
As far as I know the Winner 4-DEV IDE is (or was) made by Elbox and is the same as the Elbox 4xEIDE'99 interface they sell now.  You can try mailing support(at)elbox.com to register as an owner and get the driver updates, the latest I believe is  EIDE'99v31a30.lha.

Offline jgrattonTopic starter

• Show only replies by jgratton
Re: Winner 4-DEV IDE Interface
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 11:22:57 PM »
Thanks for that.

I restarted my installation from scratch putting the CD-ROM on the secondary channel as a slave Unit 3.

I then used the ElBox driver you suggested in IDE-Fix97 and manualy set the driver to atapi.device and the Unit number to 3 and it all works fine now.

Thanks a lot for your information it helped out just right.

I will now leave things alone. It seems to cause havok if you play around with settings you don't know about.

Thanks again. Jonathan.