Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How did they crack games?  (Read 4433 times)

Description:

Offline gurthukTopic starter

• Show only replies by gurthuk
    • http://www.fwd4.com
How did they crack games?
« on: December 31, 2005, 03:21:49 PM »
As a kid I remember having one or two games that were copies. Typically these were ‘cracked’ and allowed them to be copied in Xcopy (I think that was what it was called?) and had added cheats.

1st. How where these games cracked – the disks were non-dos so accessing the contents couldn’t have been easy?

2nd How could the compiled code altered to add cheats?

Sorry for my sins. I knew copying was wrong at the time but I didn’t think it would bring down the Amiga. If I had knew then what I know now I wouldn’t have done it.

Why were all crackers German or Dutch?

Offline nasty

• Show only replies by nasty
Re: How did they crack games?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 03:32:41 PM »

The following types of posts or comments are subject to automatic moderation or deletion without question:
Any post or comment that insults or defames any user of the site, including the webmasters or moderators.

Taunts and incitement to violence between users of the site.

Any post or comment advocating public violence.

Any post or comment advocating neo-nazi ideas or views.

Any post or comment advocating anti-semitic or racist views.

Any posts or comments from a known neo-nazi or sympathizer.

Disruptive postings designed to interfere with the operation of the website.

Duplicate posts or comments.

Any post or comment involving or advocating the distribution of warez in any way.

Specs:
A1200PT, mediator c/w voodoo 3 2000, sb128, 60G HDD,OS3.9,LITEON CDR, nec 4x4 changer,External Scan Doubler,Cocolino adapter,PS2 keyboard adaptor.

Morphos 2.6, mini mac g4 @ 1.25ghz.

Offline Invisix

• Show only replies by Invisix
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 03:42:51 PM »
Last time I heard, Xcopy was actually a trojan virus, but looked innocent. :-o
Amiga 1200T: D-Box 1200 Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260
  • 50Mhz, 32mb Fast Ram, 3gig HDD, 52x CD-ROM Drive, ToastScan Scan Doubler, Mediator PCI 1200 SX, FastATA 1200 MK-III, PCMCIA Adapter, PCMCIA Network Card MKIII, Amiga OS 3.5[/b]

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 03:59:09 PM »
I’m not distributing files, breaching copyright, peddling warez, or condoning this activity. The questions were purely a ‘How did they do that?’, I’m sorry my original post was in breach of these rules. Ok let me try again…

1.) How could someone view the structure of a 'generic' non-dos disk?

A typical OS disk has a startup-squence file and certain necessary directories.

Does a non-dos disk have certain properties or attributes that make it boot too? I have non-dos demo disks, how do they work? How can I create a non-dos disk of my own?

Do non-dos disks hold more than 880k?

Do non-dos disks have extra tracks/sectors etc?

2.) How can compiled code be altered? If it’s already compiled then changes cannot be made.

If you were to change something you would need to go back to the source no?

Is additional code loaded into memory before the ‘application’ that overrides the legacy code?

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 04:02:18 PM »
Never done it but probably using assembler and messing with the loaded files to memory (not matter how encrypted it is on disk it's gonna have to be copied to memory in executable form sometime).
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline AmiDude

• Show only replies by AmiDude
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 04:07:29 PM »
gurthuk wrote:
How can compiled code be altered? If it’s already compiled then changes cannot be made.If you were to change something you would need to go back to the source no?

No...not necessary. You can alter some text lines within
the compiled code with an so-called "Hex-Editor".
 :-)

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 04:13:19 PM »

An Action replay cartridge froze the game and loaded a workbench of sorts. So if you knew what you were doing you could "do stuff".

i used to rip pix from games for use in comedy film scenes our little video club used to do.
The Reluctant Pom

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 04:31:34 PM »
@gurthuk

I have about 6 hours before the draconian new Finnish copyright law takes effect, so this is the very last possibility of me legally talking about these things. I still try to stay deliberately vague to stop helping too much.

1st. How where these games cracked - the disks were non-dos so accessing the contents couldn't have been easy?

Regarding physical disk formats: Basically the very first track of the game was still normal format since else the system could not load the bootblock and boot the game. The first track usually contained the actual trackloader that loaded rest of the tracks (if they were some custom format to allow more storage, for example).

Logical format: Since the trackloader is custom already, there is no need to settle for OFS or FFS filesystems. Sometimes to fool people the disk in fact was valid OFS, with the gamedata hidden inside blocks marked as 'used' in the bitmap. Thus, you could copy the files just fine, but it would not copy the actual game loader and hidden data... :)

Anyway, to get the actual code you first needed to load and disassemble the loader. Once you did this, you could mofidy the loader to load the whole game to memory at once, and then save the dump to a file. Then you disassembled the game itself and find out how the protection works and how to work around it.

Needless to say this requires m68k assembler and amiga hw programming skills. There are no shortcut here, the process can't be automated. Crackers were often excellent coders themselves (and in the early days some of the actual cracks were made by some real world programmers, even game programmers themselves! This was mostly before Amiga though.)

Like any other technically challenging thing, actually breaking some protection can be seen as goal in itself (perhans close analogy would be picking locks. Even if you do it as a hobby doesn't mean you necessarily are a burglar). It is quite sad that even european legislation is now going to prevent these activities, even if only for self education at home... 5 hours 30 minutes left here... :(

2nd How could the compiled code altered to add cheats?

Actual modification of the game would often happen by hooking some locations in the code to jump to your own and then execute the replaced instructions and jump back (jmp-...-oldinsts-jmp or jsr-...-oldinsts-rts). Sometimes some chunks of the code would be totally rewritten, however this is much harder since often the games used absolute addressing (not pc-relative).

Removing the protection and adding cheats would be quite similar task, you first needed to actually understand how the thing worked before you could modify it.

Most of the time the game loader was replaced with another one, to allow using normal disk formats that could be easily copied. The loader would typically display a cracktro boasting the greatness of the cracker and their group (from which actual intros and demos evolved btw). If the game was trained, the thing would then allow player to enable/disable the cheats (often from some simple menu). Sometimes the game would have in-game extra keys to allow realtime changes.

I won't explain the processes in detail or the tools used. I hope I'm not bending the site rules too much here.

Offline SteveJames

• Show only replies by SteveJames
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 04:38:01 PM »
Thanks Piru

Very Informative.

Steve

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 04:43:09 PM »
@gurthuk

1.) How could someone view the structure of a 'generic' non-dos disk?

You can't. There is no generic format, every game can be different. You need to disassemble and understand the loader to be able to 'see' or grab the code/data. The format might include something resembling a filesystem, or the whole code/data shebag might be loaded off several tracks.

A typical OS disk has a startup-squence file and certain necessary directories.

Does a non-dos disk have certain properties or attributes that make it boot too?

The only requirement is that the first track is normal amiga disk format and that it contains a bootblock with proper checksum. OS will then boot off the disk when inserted. The bootblock itself (2 blocks = 1024 bytes) is executed and can take over the system and use the amiga disk hardware to load any custom format you can think of.

I have non-dos demo disks, how do they work?

See above and the other post I made.

How can I create a non-dos disk of my own?

Simplest form: You write your own bootblock that allocates memory and loads some tracks to it, and finally flushes CPU caches and executes the code.

Do non-dos disks hold more than 880k?

Do non-dos disks have extra tracks/sectors etc?

Depends on the format. The disk can hold upto 82 or 83 tracks, so that gives some extra storage. Also, you don't need to settle with 11 blocks per track/side, you can fit at least 13. This way you can fit over 1MB to a normal DD disk. Another possibility is to use custom physical bit encoding on the disk, the one amiga uses is quite simple to implement with blitter and cpu and is fast.. It isn't the most efficient one though, with custom encoding you can fit more data.

2.) How can compiled code be altered? If it's already compiled then changes cannot be made.

You can always change the binary, or patch it runtime. No problem there.

If you were to change something you would need to go back to the source no?

No.

Is additional code loaded into memory before the `application' that overrides the legacy code?

Sometimes. Mostly the whole loader is replaced, and itself includes all the patches to the actual loaded code.

BTW: These same methods were sometimes used to create 68040/68060 or AGA-fixed versions of the games/demos.

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 04:56:58 PM »
Much appriciated Piru.

I'm sorry if my original post was breaking the rules but I honestly find the topic interesting - Piru's reply was just what I was looking for.

Have a good new year gents!

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 05:32:13 PM »
Some resources:

Codetapper/Action! site talks about cracking, AGA fixing, WHDLoad installs, etc.

http://zap.to/action

Basicly, you need a Action Replay (or other freezer), assembly language experience, and knowledge about amiga disk formats and protections.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 05:39:55 PM »
Thanks for your help - its highly unlikely that I'm going to learn how to crack games but I was wondering how it was done back in the day. I would like to learn how to code in a non-4g language such as assembler

Can you get an action replay for the A600 or A1200, I had one years ago on my A500?

I guess 'protection' methods could be for another post...

I just find it interesting.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 07:51:41 PM »
I've got no problem with the topic so far. Everyone has repsected our rules. Now, providing a step by step guide, naming specific tools, or website of the afore mentioned would be breaking the rules. As long as there is not enough information to actually pirate games you should be okay.

Offline SteveJames

• Show only replies by SteveJames
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005, 08:37:55 PM »
Hi Argo

I hope I'm not being rude or breaking any rules here.
But what amiga games would/could anyone pirate?

Steve