Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gray screen of death???  (Read 963 times)

Description:

Offline artmanTopic starter

• Show only replies by artman
Gray screen of death???
« on: December 21, 2005, 11:02:45 PM »
Looks like it's more serious than I'd hoped.  Just took all the cards out of my a2000, right down to the mobo only, removed the cdrom drive (it has the odor of burnt electical stuff in it) and tried to boot with the workbench disk.  No dice.  Disk drive doesn't start up, no colors on the screen, nothing.  Any chance that maybe the CIA's fried?  Seems I remember something about them controlling the drives, etc.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm not real good at troubleshooting problems of this type.  Best regards...Art

Offline xaccrocheur

• Show only replies by xaccrocheur
Re: Gray screen of death???
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 12:15:02 AM »

artman wrote:
Looks like it's more serious than I'd hoped.  Just took all the cards out of my a2000, right down to the mobo only, removed the cdrom drive (it has the odor of burnt electical stuff in it) and tried to boot with the workbench disk.  No dice.  Disk drive doesn't start up, no colors on the screen, nothing.  Any chance that maybe the CIA's fried?  Seems I remember something about them controlling the drives, etc.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm not real good at troubleshooting problems of this type.  Best regards...Art

Mm. Looks like you fried your PSU, wich is likely given it's age. I mean, I sure HOPE that it's that, because it's quite easy to replace... If the CIA(s) were dead, you'd have signs of life, like at least the PSU humming. I don't know the 2000. I'd take out my multimeter, if I were you.
Don't give this 2000 up. Take care of her, she's very OLD and venerable.

Keep us posted.

pX

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 12:51:24 AM »
@xaccrocheur

Thanks for helping!  Got an old multimeter here, what should I check on the PSU?  Must have some kind of juice cause' the fan works.  I don't know about and other though.  I'm definitely going to keep trying to get the old girl going again, hope I succeed.  Thanks again.  Art

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 05:05:40 AM »
Is your harddrive powered by the PSU or the SCSI board? I know in mine it's powered from my GVP HC+8. A quick way to test the PSU would be to plug the harddrive into it directly.

If it doesn't spin up that way, your PSU is the likely culprit... If it DOES spin up that, and not via the power connection on the SCSI card, your board is likely fried.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline Tatsu

• Show only replies by Tatsu
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 05:26:08 AM »
I have had 3 A2000, And everyone when I turned them on in the last place i lived, they died right away. Something in the power-mains killed I belive, the tick-signal. When I changed a jumper on the motherboard under the PSU, all A2000 came alive again. I have 11 amigas and several pc´s and other stuff. None have died like all my A2000 did. I am not sure if it was the ticksignal but it could be.
A1200T PPC/060 Voodoo5 SD/FF
A2000 Blizzard 060 CV/3D

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 02:09:54 PM »
The hard drive is powered off the scsi board and it does spin.  I removed all add-on boards and drives last night, to see if it would boot from the WB disk.  Nada, nothing, still got the gray screen.  Art

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 02:54:18 PM »
if Tatsu is right, change the J300 jumper:

quote:
>> J300 selects the TICK clock. 1-2 selects power supply, 2-3 selects video section. (MskoDestny)
Better sorry than worry.