Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What happened to Tornado 3D?  (Read 3426 times)

Description:

What happened to Tornado 3D?
« on: April 02, 2003, 09:50:03 AM »
Does anyone remember the rendering software Tornado 3D developed by the italian company Eyelight?
I tested it once and was very impressed of its features. Another important factor concerning Tornado 3D is the existence of a PowerPC version. I think, it should be possible to port it to OS4 once it is released, if somebody had the sources.

I can't find any information on the web neither about Eyelight nor about Tornado 3D.

Is anybody out there who knows more about this?

Ciao!

Offline PPCRulez

• Show only replies by PPCRulez
Re: What happened to Tornado 3D?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 10:11:33 AM »
Yes, I use Tornado3D quite a lot. I bought v1.5 and upgraded to v3.0. It's very good rendering program, and gives excellent results. Sadly there are some bugs in v3.0, which leads to stability problems, but if you learn how to avoid them it works very good.

Rendering on PPC is very fast. Frames are rendered in the 10s-40s range even in high resolutions like 800x600. One of the best Amiga PPC programs ever made.

It would probably work nicely with AmigaOS v4. But a problem is that the hardware key uses the joystick port on the amiga so it can't be used on the AmigaOne or PegasOS :-(

Sadly I think Eyelight went bust. Too bad really since it's a great program.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 10:32:43 AM »
@PPCRulez
Good to know something about rendering times on PPC. I only tested it on 68k.
10s-40s, you say? On a PPC 603 or 604 @ max 233MHz? Now imagine on a G4 with 700MHz or more!!!  :-o

Maybe it would be useful contacting the developer of Tornado3D for Amiga. I think there was one responsible developer for the Amiga version. If I remember correctly, his name is mentioned somewhere in the Info-window.
If Eyelight went bankrupt or closed for other reasons, it could be possible to get the source from them.

Offline PPCRulez

• Show only replies by PPCRulez
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 10:53:14 AM »

siciliano wrote:
@PPCRulez
Good to know something about rendering times on PPC. I only tested it on 68k.
10s-40s, you say? On a PPC 603 or 604 @ max 233MHz? Now imagine on a G4 with 700MHz or more!!!  :-o

Maybe it would be useful contacting the developer of Tornado3D for Amiga. I think there was one responsible developer for the Amiga version. If I remember correctly, his name is mentioned somewhere in the Info-window.
If Eyelight went bankrupt or closed for other reasons, it could be possible to get the source from them.

That is on a 604e/200Mhz. But it should be noted that 5-10s of the render times are usually performed by the 68k cpu (if you have the Darkroom option enabled, which I mostly have). If you render without antialias you can get frames in 1-5s as a fast preview of a long animation.

Yes T3D on a G4 would rock. The dongle is the problem though. But maybe it would be possible to get hold of the author, but I think a few persons (on the T3D mailing list) tried contacting him a year ago (or something like that) but sadly no response.. :(

It's really sad, because it would be a really good application to show of the new A1's or PegasOS machines. It would be a killer application.

Offline sgm

• Show only replies by sgm
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 11:33:35 AM »
Ciao ragazzi.

IIRC, Massimiliano Marras was the Eyetech[color=CC0000]^H^H^H^Hlight[/color] CEO, and responsible for the Tornado 3D. Here is his mail:
mc1606@mclink.it. Distributor was Haage&Partner... I don't think you should hold your breath for an OS4 version...
Ciao,
Stefano.

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2003, 01:39:38 PM »
Stability was always an issue with Tornado and i do agree that it was a very good program and sorta brought the Amiga up to date for its time on options and raw CPU power available to the program,

Seeing it go on a 603e 200mhz, i can only imagine what it be like on a G3/G4, lets hope :-)

IIRC, Massimiliano Marras was the Eyetech CEO

Don't let Alan here you say that ;-)

Offline sgm

• Show only replies by sgm
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2003, 04:59:28 PM »
@Calen
:oops:
Ciao,
Stefano.

Offline amigau

• Show only replies by amigau
    • http://www.amigau.com
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2003, 08:40:26 PM »
there isn't much out there, but here's *some* information:

http://www.amigau.com/c-graphics/tornado3D.htm

have fun!

kevin orme
amiga university
www.amigau.com

Offline ShadesOfGrey

• Show only replies by ShadesOfGrey
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2003, 10:48:28 PM »

PPCRulez wrote:
It would probably work nicely with AmigaOS v4. But a problem is that the hardware key uses the joystick port on the amiga so it can't be used on the AmigaOne or PegasOS :-(

I wonder if the Catweasel Mk3 would provide a potential work around?
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.