Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Scandoubler / Flickerfixer solution!  (Read 21337 times)

Description:

Offline AmiDudeTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmiDude
Scandoubler / Flickerfixer solution!
« on: October 26, 2005, 03:44:33 PM »
I've noticed that there ary many questions about where
to get a good scandoubler / flickerfixer. Well, I've bought
a "Scart Video to XGA Converter" CM345S. I hooked it up on
my Miggy, and it works realy GREAT! It gives a sharp & clear picture and the quality is much better then the external SD/FF like the MV1200 or others. Take a look on this links:

www.converters.tv/products/converters/rgb_converters/100.html

www.lektropacks.com/view_item.php?product=46&&category=13

www.bcsistem.com/conversores/cm345s.htm

www.cypress.com.tw/product.php?PId=90518&CId=001&CName=PC%
www.hificables.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/11100/groupID/712/categoryID/2400/v/99e3e8d7-969d-41ca-b2fe-431f50a179e0

www.electrashop.co.uk/tv-tuner.htm

The CM345S comes with all needed cables, power-adapter
and even a remote-control! Look at the tech. specs.
The only thing you need is to buy an 23-pin Video to Scart cable. They are frequently on sale on eBay for about 10 euro's. After testing a lot of external SD/FF's, I was fedup with the poor image quality and the 5 minute
"warming-up" time. I'm very satisfied with this unit, it works great with all Amiga's! Highly recommended!

:-D

Offline MarkAshley

• Show only replies by MarkAshley
Re: Scandoubler / Flickerfixer solution!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 04:12:28 PM »
Interesting. I have seen composite to VGA/XGA adapters but never RGB to XGA. A bit pricey but better than the current price of scandoublers...

Nice one!
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000
All stuffed in to a D-BOX

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 04:31:44 PM »
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it has always been my understanding that the quality of the display is lessened or degraded when converted from the Amiga's 23 pin RGB to a composite output.  I know that the composite output jacks on the Amiga's themselves when connected to a video monitor/TV definitely have a much less sharp display.  So, my thinking is that any scan doubler/ficker fixer that is designed for composite input to VGA or XVGA output would not yeild the same results as a scan doubler/flicker fixer designed for the 23 pin RGB 15kHz output of the Amiga.

If I am wrong, than your suggestions for solutions should be valid ones, but I think it is a little harder to find SCART connections here in the US.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline MarkAshley

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 04:58:53 PM »
If the adapter converts the Amiga RGB output to composite and then converts that composite signal to XGA, then yes you would experience a loss of quality. But if the adapter converts the RGB signal directly to XGA then I would imagine the quality would be the same as with a scandoubler (because that's what it is...).
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000

Offline zx6r6

• Show only replies by zx6r6
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 05:00:29 PM »
Interesting. I've had the same unit for the last 12 months or so and was unable to get a stable or clear picture. Works great on my xbox or gamecube though. What amiga are you using it on? Mine was a PAL 1200.

Offline MarkAshley

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 05:02:17 PM »
What type of input does your one have?
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000

Offline zx6r6

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 05:08:54 PM »
I use an RGB scart cable. I know the cables ok as my current solution (an LG box!) works fine.

Offline MarkAshley

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 05:11:04 PM »
How are you getting the scart connection from your Amiga? And your xbox? If you are using scart cables which contain the RGB signals then the effect should be identical whether you connect the Amiga or the xbox. But scart cables also contain a composite signal - so be careful your Amiga cable is not using this signal instead of the RGB, otherwise you will suffer poor quality.
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000

Offline zx6r6

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 05:23:51 PM »
On the amiga from the 23pin video port, the xbox by a genuine m$oft rgb lead. I agree with you, the signals SHOULD be identical given their both rgb wired but their not! I have the same problem with most of my older machines and consoles, rgb and composite. I also cant get any of my vintage single game consoles to tune into modern tv's properly. No idea why but would love to know! Anyone shed any light?

Offline MarkAshley

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 06:14:20 PM »
That is strange indeed. Maybe it's to do with the strength of the signal? If the older devices are using a slightly lower voltage in their RGB connections then the conversion to XGA may be more lossy than with a more modern device.

Sounds like a long shot but it's the only thing I can think of!
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 06:16:40 PM »
Amigadave wrote:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it has always been my understanding that the quality of the display is lessened or degraded when converted from the Amiga's 23 pin RGB to a composite output. I know that the composite output jacks on the Amiga's themselves when connected to a video monitor/TV definitely have a much less sharp display.

yes , you're right about the composite output, but this
baby converts 23-pin RGB SCART directly to XGA and not composite.
As it's a well known fact that connecting your Amiga by
an RGB-SCART cable to, for instance, a TV-set, gives you a far more sharper picture than if you use only a cable from your composite output.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 06:28:02 PM »
zx6r6 wrote:
Interesting. I've had the same unit for the last 12 months or so and was unable to get a stable or clear picture. Works great on my xbox or gamecube though. What amiga are you using it on? Mine was a PAL 1200.

I've used it on my A600 and A4000 without any problems.
The first time I hooked it up and put the power on,
I didn't get a picture, but after I pushed the input button on the remote-control,I got a clear & sharp
picture on my PC-monitor! Maybe you did something wrong. Sorry if I'm not correct. Read carefully the user-manual.
It should work with any Amiga. There are also brightness,
color, contrast, sharpness, tint, sound, resolution and sleep-timer controls. It's realy a great piece of hardware!

:-)

Offline MarkAshley

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 08:19:46 PM »
If anyone is interested in doing this, here is a schematic for an Amiga to SCART cable:

http://www.hardwarebook.net/cable/av/amigascart.html

I went to Maplin Electronics today to get the components but unfortunately couldn't find a 23 pin D connector  :-?
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 10:43:21 PM »
The 23-pin connectors are a bit hard to get hold of... unless you've got something you can cannibalise one from!

Alternatively, you can buy pre-made RGB SCART leads for the Amiga from eBay for about £10 and save yourself the hassle of soldering one manually. See here...

- Ali

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 11:00:36 PM »

Ok........Dont know if anyone knows this, But here in the Good ole US of A, we dont use SCART......we either use the RGB out or S-Video out for clear pictures...........Now I imagine SCART is the UK's version of S-Video.so I also imagie their is a USA version of this RGB to XGA convertor..if not..........I think I know how to get it to work..........their is an RB cable for the AMiga that splits up into those 4 color composite BNC thingies.........I think they were for the Toaster..........so just plug those 4 cables into the BNC to SCART thingy and the SCART into the XGA box :-)   That might do it ? :-)

If not...I will have to buy a SCART cable.  I hate those things. :-)

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...