Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Problems with NEC 3D Monitor  (Read 754 times)

Description:

Offline bubbaTopic starter

• Show only replies by bubba
Problems with NEC 3D Monitor
« on: October 07, 2005, 04:21:42 PM »
The picture on my NEC 3D has slowly been blurring.  I can no longer read text on workbench.  Any idea on how to fix this?

-bubba

Offline BadBigBen

• Show only replies by BadBigBen
Re: Problems with NEC 3D Monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 04:45:43 PM »
It is loosing Focus...

you will have to open it up, to refocus the monitor...

but be carefull, there are HIGH VOLTAGES underneath the HOOD of that baby...

if you do not feel up to par on this, take it to a local Electronic Repair person/shop and have it done...

The Focus Mechanism, is usually found on a black block, which has a thick cable running to the top of the CRT... it will usually have a turn type knob with a slit for a screwdriver...
this is located usually at the back left side (viewing from the Screen)...
><><><><><><><><><><><
\\"Link Arms,  don\\\'t make them!\\"
<><><><><><><><><><><>

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 05:19:20 PM »
As the above poster already alluded to...

DISCHARGE THE CAPACITORS!

I like Amigas

Offline patrik

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 05:28:40 PM »
As an addition to the previous posters info: you must _definately_ know what you are doing as you have to adjust the focus while the monitor is on, otherwise it would be impossible to know wether you get a good or bad result.

Also, while fiddling around in live monitors, you should only use a non-conductive screwdriver, like one completely out of plastic to avoid damaging yourself and the monitor by accident.

/Patrik

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 07:39:47 PM »
Also, while fiddling around in live monitors, you should only use a non-conductive screwdriver, like one completely out of plastic to avoid damaging yourself and the monitor by accident.

Yes.  Actually, I think you have to use a plastic screwdriver, anyhow, as metal would introduce a distortion to the picture you are trying to tune.

But certainly, monitors are the most dangerous computer component to service.  And any operation that requires the monitor to be on while you have it open is even more dangerous, yet.  

You need to know what you're doing, have the right tools, and be quite cautious, and be aware any time you are working with one, you are taking a risk.  (Said the man who can show you a fairly large scorch mark on a C=1950 chassis caused by a high voltage capacitor he THOUGHT was discharged.  Thank god I was smart enough to have that chassis well grounded, so the spark hit that instead of jumping to me...)

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 07:49:03 PM »
Using a plastic screwdriver to adjust the focus knob on the flyback transformer is a really good idea, and as they say, keep one hand in your back pocket while you do this. It's pretty easy to adjust the knob while looking at the screen to make sure you get it just right.