Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AGA games...  (Read 2910 times)

Description:

Offline LeifernTopic starter

• Show only replies by Leifern
AGA games...
« on: August 06, 2005, 03:12:17 AM »
Hi all,

I've been trying alot of AGA games lately on my A1200, but i've noticed that almost none of them run smoothly. Both Chaos Engine and Zool had to be installed using WHDLOAD to even be playable (Well, not Zool really, but Chaos Engine.. MY GOD) I'm just wondering if anybody have had similar experiences, and if there are other ways to get these games running smoothly. I was so upset when i finally put those CE AGA disks in my diskdrive and found the game to be unplayable. :pissed:  The same goes for TFX, SC2000 and Theme Park. The '060 really doesn't help me much..

Offline amiga1260

• Show only replies by amiga1260
Re: AGA games...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 07:49:14 AM »
I played those games also on my A1200 with Blizzard 1260. I they run nicely. The Game TFX was made before the 060. So you need Oxyron Patcher or Cyberpatcher to speed up this game. For the game Themepark and Sim City 2000 are some patches available from Aminet: Theme040.lha and SimCity2000pch.lha.

Type in the CLI the following: CPU. If there are some  caches aren't turned on, turn them on.

I played Chaos Engine AGA on my A1200, but the game runs very smoothly.

Have you try Genetic Species on your A1200? This game will fly on your 060. Also try the following games: Flyin' High, Doom, Payback, Gloom and Quake.

Offline Doppie1200

• Show only replies by Doppie1200
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 08:55:26 AM »

I was so upset when i finally put those CE AGA disks in my diskdrive and found the game to be unplayable.

True. When you boot games from disk alot of them will not work. Even stock A1200 has compatibility problems. Tho more upgrades, the more problems. An A1260 is over the hill when it comes to compatibility.

AGA games should work on a stock 1200 ofcourse. But an 68060 is a different beast. Few people had such monsters those days and not all software was tested using these processors.

This is where whdload steps in. Whdload patches take care of most incompatibilities. When it comes to an 060 you have to set NOTRAP I beleive. This way you allow your 060 pathcer (OxyPatch/CyberPatch/MuRedox) to step in on missing 68k instructions.

My setup runs most games smoothly now. But there are still some games (Giana Sisters for instance) that are troublesome.

So I can only advice you to use whdload and a 060-patcher.
(Or downgrade to an 030 or something which is more compatible).

Good luck
Regards,
Erno

(O\\\\_|_/O) <- this is supposed to look like the front of my beetle
(entire front not possible in signature)

Offline BadBigBen

• Show only replies by BadBigBen
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 10:14:00 AM »
There is another aspect overlooked right here...

the CopyProtection!!!

on some of the A1200 systems out there, ESCOM I belief, they used cheap FDD's which where not all too compatible with the original drives and some of the games just decided not to work correctly...

by using WHD-Load, it circumvents the copyprotection and thus the software runs a lot better...

><><><><><><><><><><><
\\"Link Arms,  don\\\'t make them!\\"
<><><><><><><><><><><>

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 05:02:05 PM »
Hehe..Yeah, i've got Cyberpatcher running, and whdload. Well, CEAGA runs VERY smoothly now that i've installed it, so does ZOOLAGA. They didn't when i ran them from disk, and hadn't it been for WhdLoad, i wouldn't bother playing them. I guess this isn't really a troubleshooting thread, but more a "What-the-hell-were-those-programmers-thinking" thread.:crazy: Thanks for the advice anyway. I've never heard of NOTRAP.. How does it work and how do i "set" it?

I've tried the Theme Park patch, but it didn't work. The game is playable on my 060, but there are so many bugs and errors in the game, it drives me crazy! Like the scrolling, and inaccurate-mouse-thing.

Have you try Genetic Species on your A1200? This game will fly on your 060.

Really..?? Hmmm.. I'll have to get hold of that one! Judging from the creenshots, it looks great!

Also try the following games: Flyin' High, Doom, Payback, Gloom and Quake.

Well, i've tried Doom and Gloom. Runs great but Quake? Are you shure? :-o

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 07:41:58 PM »
Total Chaos AGA was written specifically for A1200 + 060.
No patches needed.  No WHDload needed.

Cheers.  :-)
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline amiga1260

• Show only replies by amiga1260
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 09:22:39 PM »
Quake runs at about 10-12 frames per second on A 060/50 MHz with AGA, but it's playable, if you set it in a smaller Windows mode. I get advise you to get Quake executable from Aminet. It's faster than the Clickboom version. To play Quake you need the data files from the original Quake CD.

I forgot to tell you that Genetic Species full version can be downloaded from Aminet.

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 10:12:28 PM »
Plus the most stupid thing ever is that some games, like Chaos Engine AGA only runs in PAL mode, even though the screen is uses is NTSC (ie large gap at bottom of screen)  Even with WHDLoad it needs the tooltype PAL to run. I don't mind PAL games but c'mon!  WTF is up with that?
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 12:56:50 AM »
Yeah.. Thats also quite dumb.. And i can't belive that even after installing Fifa it still runs slow, on a 060.. This seems to be something that alot of programmers overlooked. Strange! But one thing that seems to work very well with AGA is Adventuregames. I wish they had released monkey island 1 & 2 using AGA, like the VGA versions on PC. But i guess Lucasarts gave up on us too early. :-(  I'm still wondering about that "NOTRAP". If anyone can give me some more information about this i would be very greatfull! :-)  

Offline drwho

• Show only replies by drwho
    • http://www.goblingames.net
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 01:02:02 AM »
As much as I love the classic Amiga hardware, this is exactly the reason that I play all my games in WinUAE.

I can emulate any Amiga configuration I want and since my PC is cheap yet powerful, I never see any chop when playing.

I am a huge fan of the original Amiga hardware, dont get me wrong, but, unfortunately, as things often go when the hardware manufacturer goes under, the hardware platform has bee orphaned. The emmulation available from programs like WinUAE can be a nice (and free!) way to create a "better than the Amiga" Amiga.

Thanks,
Mike
Amiga 2000: GVP TekMagic 060@50Mhz C:2MB F:128MB Retina Z2 HydraII
Amiga 3000T: A3640 C:2MB F:128MB Picasso II X-Surf

Offline Will-i-am

• Show only replies by Will-i-am
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 04:07:13 AM »
My wife is a gaming fool, she loves fast shoot=em-ups like Datastorm Deluxe Galaga and platform games as well as Zool, Robocod etc. None of the disks I have will run on my A4000 anymore. They start to a screen of lines and no sound. I suppose the disks are just shot or something. I would like to install UAE on this PC (piece of crap) but I wonder if a 800mhz machine with no graphics/sound card can run it? I did get Llamatron to work but without a joystick port the old keyboard controls just piss her off. Some suggestions for how to get her back in the old Datastorm pilot seat?

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 04:35:03 AM »
I would think it will do the trick.. But without a soundcard? You've got NO SOUND? Hmm.. Wouldn't make things very enjoyable!? :-P

Well.. A slightly better PC won't cost much, and might be a good investement anyway? I was running UAE on my P4-1.5 ghz with SBlive and GeForce2 and it worked like a charm. But it hardly runs at all on my P200. I won't cost you anything to download WinUae and try it. :crazy:

Yeah,

Offline Techx

• Show only replies by Techx
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 04:54:03 AM »
since there are so many compatibility problems with an 060 board, would it not be wise to invest in one for my a1200? I've been looking to upgrade and looking at some 060's but I don't want too many headaches with it :(

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 05:01:58 AM »
I'm very happy with my 060, and i wouldn't want anything else. It's fast and reliable. :roll: And on stuff that was written with the 060 in mind, it really blasts away! Whatever you do, don't get a 040 if you have a desktop amiga. You would have to rip of the trapdor, attach a fan and raise the whole thing.. Well i'm not to big a fan of that kind of abuse.. Ehh.. I just like it when things look nice.. The 060 will certantly get you closer to running Sim City 2000 and TornadoAGA then the 020 ever did!!! :-P

Offline K7HTH

• Show only replies by K7HTH
    • http://NewPeopleString.com
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2005, 05:15:14 AM »

As much as I love the classic Amiga hardware, this is exactly the reason that I play all my games in WinUAE.

I can emulate any Amiga configuration I want and since my PC is cheap yet powerful, I never see any chop when playing.

I am a huge fan of the original Amiga hardware, dont get me wrong, but, unfortunately, as things often go when the hardware manufacturer goes under, the hardware platform has bee orphaned. The emmulation available from programs like WinUAE can be a nice (and free!) way to create a "better than the Amiga" Amiga.

Thanks,
Mike

Add Amiga Forever 6, and you have taken the exact words out of my mouth. Now put that mobo/video card/HDD/CDROM/Soundcard assembly in an A2000 case with a Catweasel MK IV and you would have the best of both worlds.
Own the Web... Go PeopleString! It\'s Huge!!