amiga.org
     
iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Coffee House CH / General Advice on beating the heat...

CH / General This is the correct place for open, moderated discussions of a general nature. Open to Registered users only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2005, 07:35 AM   #1
NoFastMem
Technoid
Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 428
Send a message via AIM to NoFastMem
Default Advice on beating the heat...

I said heat! This isn't another one of those Amiga.org threads. ;-)

Well my flat gets so hot during the day that I literally can't think straight, or concentrate on anything. I have a pedestal fan in the kitchen/lounge area and i keep all the windows open but the heat just continues to build. I'm not running any particularly exothermic appliances... A small energy class A fridge/freezer, and my laptop, neither of which push out an awful lot of heat, are all I have running most of the time.

So, with a heavy heart, I'm starting to look at something a little more active than my fan. Ugh, next I'll have an SUV. Anyway. I'd like to consider any alternative before blowing 200 on an A/C unit (that's before I even plug the bugger in.) Has anyone used those vent-free ones you put ice/water in? Are they any good? I'm a little skeptical about their performance and haven't had the chance to see one working. Any other ideas would be appreciated too...

:-?
__________________
Χριστοφόρος
AKA that_punk_guy
NoFastMem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:45 AM   #2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Advice on beating the heat...

Quote:
NoFastMem wrote:
I said heat! This isn't another one of those Amiga.org threads. ;-)

Well my flat gets so hot during the day that I literally can't think straight, or concentrate on anything. I have a pedestal fan in the kitchen/lounge area and i keep all the windows open but the heat just continues to build. I'm not running any particularly exothermic appliances... A small energy class A fridge/freezer, and my laptop, neither of which push out an awful lot of heat, are all I have running most of the time.

So, with a heavy heart, I'm starting to look at something a little more active than my fan. Ugh, next I'll have an SUV. Anyway. I'd like to consider any alternative before blowing 200 on an A/C unit (that's before I even plug the bugger in.) Has anyone used those vent-free ones you put ice/water in? Are they any good? I'm a little skeptical about their performance and haven't had the chance to see one working. Any other ideas would be appreciated too...

:-?
You know those blue freezer blocks that you freeze then insert in a picnic bag?

Buy some of those and put them in your socks! :-)

Cheap and environment friendlier. ;-)


edit: Or just move back up here to Lancashire. It's pissing it down currently, and isn't warm in the slightest. :-(
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:59 AM   #3
Speelgoedmannetje
Guru Meditator
Points: 27,698, Level: 98 Points: 27,698, Level: 98 Points: 27,698, Level: 98
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
 
Speelgoedmannetje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Groningen, the Netherlands
Posts: 9,614
Send a message via MSN to Speelgoedmannetje Send a message via Skype™ to Speelgoedmannetje
Default Re: Advice on beating the heat...

Close yer curtains (with open windows), and make them wet (with water, of course :-P) and keep them wet.
I don't really know, but I think that might help :-)
__________________
And the canary said: 'chirp'
Speelgoedmannetje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:24 AM   #4
Cyberus
Guru Meditator
Points: 20,967, Level: 91 Points: 20,967, Level: 91 Points: 20,967, Level: 91
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maidstone, England
Posts: 5,685
Default Re: Advice on beating the heat...

I would go further than that, I would keep windows closed and curtains closed.

Find the coolest room in the house, if you aren't working, then turn night into day, and sleep during the day!!!
:-)
__________________
Returning after a six year hiatus...
Cyberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:25 PM   #5
NoFastMem
Technoid
Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 428
Send a message via AIM to NoFastMem
Default Re: Advice on beating the heat...

Quote:
Speelgoedmannetje wrote:
Close yer curtains (with open windows), and make them wet (with water, of course :-P) and keep them wet.
I don't really know, but I think that might help :-)
I have tried keeping the curtains shut and it makes things feel a little less humid somehow, but I still find myself nodding off because of the heat.

The only trouble with going nocturnal as Adam suggested is that it really won't do my mental health any good. :-(
__________________
Χριστοφόρος
AKA that_punk_guy
NoFastMem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
NoFastMem
Technoid
Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 428
Send a message via AIM to NoFastMem
Default Re: Advice on beating the heat...

Quote:
mdma wrote:

You know those blue freezer blocks that you freeze then insert in a picnic bag?

Buy some of those and put them in your socks! :-)

Cheap and environment friendlier. ;-)

edit: Or just move back up here to Lancashire. It's pissing it down currently, and isn't warm in the slightest. :-(
Reminds me of those McD****ds adverts with the carpet-slippers!

Sorry to hear about the weather. It's actually rained here some, but as far as I'm concerned that was quite welcome.

Unfortunately... I hope to avoid returning to Lancashire ever again.
__________________
Χριστοφόρος
AKA that_punk_guy
NoFastMem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:48 PM   #7
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Advice on beating the heat...

Quote:
Unfortunately... I hope to avoid returning to Lancashire ever again.
Just like me.

Thats what I said in 1996. I've been back 3&1/2 years already.

Going back to Brum soonish, and i'm staying there this time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
adz
VIP / Donor
Points: 16,592, Level: 82 Points: 16,592, Level: 82 Points: 16,592, Level: 82
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,961
Default Re: Advice on beating the heat...

@NFM

What sort of temps are we talking here? 35+C?

Try and steer clear of evaporative cooling (the ones you put water/ice in) unless of course you enjoy the smell of mildew and the presence of mould on your walls and curtains. You can buy portable refrigerated A/C units, but they are tad more expensive than a wall mount or split system. Just go for it, a sumner without A/C (in Australia anyway) can be quite unbearable.
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:12 PM   #9
NoFastMem
Technoid
Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 428
Send a message via AIM to NoFastMem
Default Re: Advice on beating the heat...

Quote:
adz wrote:
@NFM

What sort of temps are we talking here? 35+C?

Try and steer clear of evaporative cooling (the ones you put water/ice in) unless of course you enjoy the smell of mildew and the presence of mould on your walls and curtains. You can buy portable refrigerated A/C units, but they are tad more expensive than a wall mount or split system. Just go for it, a sumner without A/C (in Australia anyway) can be quite unbearable.
You can say "@TPG", everyone else does, hehe. :-)

Hmm. I haven't actually measured the temperature. If I had to guess I'd say it's in the upper twenties inside, but I don't have a sense of temperature, so to speak, since I've never really paid attention to weather forecasts and things. So I really don't know. I just know it's too hot. :-D

But yeah... Damp and mould are a definite no-no for me. I have a lot of books and records and camera lenses around that could do without that sort of damage. Thanks for the tip!

Since my flat is rented a portable unit is really the only way to go (I'm having trouble convincing the landlord even to let me replace the manky old kitchen cupboard.) I saw one for 150, which isn't so bad but they didn't take my card... Bummer.
__________________
Χριστοφόρος
AKA that_punk_guy
NoFastMem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:56 PM   #10
adz
VIP / Donor
Points: 16,592, Level: 82 Points: 16,592, Level: 82 Points: 16,592, Level: 82
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,961
Default Re: Advice on beating the heat...

Quote:
NoFastMem wrote:

You can say "@TPG", everyone else does, hehe. :-)
Will do :-D

Quote:
Hmm. I haven't actually measured the temperature. If I had to guess I'd say it's in the upper twenties inside, but I don't have a sense of temperature, so to speak, since I've never really paid attention to weather forecasts and things. So I really don't know. I just know it's too hot. :-D
Dude, upper twenties is great weather, in Melbourne, the inside of a house without A/C can quite easily hit a temp of around 45C on a really hot day :-o

Quote:
Since my flat is rented a portable unit is really the only way to go (I'm having trouble convincing the landlord even to let me replace the manky old kitchen cupboard.) I saw one for 150, which isn't so bad but they didn't take my card... Bummer.
Landlords can be real arse's at the best of times, too bad there isn't any way of getting back at them without loosing your bond.
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:33 PM   #11
Cyberus
Guru Meditator
Points: 20,967, Level: 91 Points: 20,967, Level: 91 Points: 20,967, Level: 91
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maidstone, England
Posts: 5,685
Default Re: Advice on beating the heat...

Quote:
adz wrote:
Landlords can be real arse's at the best of times, too bad there isn't any way of getting back at them without loosing your bond.
Adam (cool name btw ;-)*), I've thought to myself in the past that the deposit you put on the place may be 'returnable', but really is just the landlord's retirement fund anyway! :-o Might as well trash it....

I've just moved into this place, the idea was (how anal does this sound...) to take photos of the place and burn em onto CD and send them to the landlord soon, right at the start of the tenancy...


@ Chris

I was just thinking, this thread isn't geeky enough dammit, this is meant to be a computer geek forum....so....
Why not connect loads of old CPU fans together? :-D


[size=x-small]*sure I've said the same thing before[/size]
__________________
Returning after a six year hiatus...
Cyberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:12 PM   #12
adz
VIP / Donor
Points: 16,592, Level: 82 Points: 16,592, Level: 82 Points: 16,592, Level: 82
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,961
Default Re: Advice on beating the heat...

Quote:
Cyberus wrote:

Adam (cool name btw ;-)*)...
Well said :-D :-D :-D

Quote:
I've thought to myself in the past that the deposit you put on the place may be 'returnable', but really is just the landlord's retirement fund anyway! :-o Might as well trash it....
Suppose your right, you can't go out for a decent drink with less than a $100 these days, so the fun you have trashing it, may indeed be well worth it

Quote:
I've just moved into this place, the idea was (how anal does this sound...) to take photos of the place and burn em onto CD and send them to the landlord soon, right at the start of the tenancy...
Sounds more like paranoia to me ;-)

Quote:
@ Chris

I was just thinking, this thread isn't geeky enough dammit, this is meant to be a computer geek forum....so....
Why not connect loads of old CPU fans together? :-D
What, something like this.

Quote:
[size=x-small]*sure I've said the same thing before[/size]
You have, but it doesn't hurt to say it again :-)
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:40 PM   #13
Cyberus
Guru Meditator
Points: 20,967, Level: 91 Points: 20,967, Level: 91 Points: 20,967, Level: 91
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maidstone, England
Posts: 5,685
Default Re: Advice on beating the heat...

Quote:
adz wrote:

[quote}
I was just thinking, this thread isn't geeky enough dammit, this is meant to be a computer geek forum....so....
Why not connect loads of old CPU fans together? :-D
What, something like this.
[/quote]

Notice how he says he's going to put another PSU in there to run the fans...but wait, what if for some reason the PSU needs cooling? Then you'll need to run another PSU's worth of fans, but how will you power it??? With another PSU, of course. Which will mean that you'll need more fans, but where are you going to get the power? With a PSU, but then of course you'll need more fans, which will require another PSU, and then<snip>

Ok,ok, I'm tired its almost 7am and I've lost a whole night to Day of Defeat... :-(
__________________
Returning after a six year hiatus...
Cyberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:05 AM   #14
adz
VIP / Donor
Points: 16,592, Level: 82 Points: 16,592, Level: 82 Points: 16,592, Level: 82
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,961
Default Re: Advice on beating the heat...

Quote:
Cyberus wrote:

Notice how he says he's going to put another PSU in there to run the fans...but wait, what if for some reason the PSU needs cooling? Then you'll need to run another PSU's worth of fans, but how will you power it??? With another PSU, of course. Which will mean that you'll need more fans, but where are you going to get the power? With a PSU, but then of course you'll need more fans, which will require another PSU, and then<snip>

Ok,ok, I'm tired its almost 7am and I've lost a whole night to Day of Defeat... :-(
Holy gob %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!e :-o :-o :-o

Well, I kinda lost a whole day of work to a.org
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:37 AM   #15
Speelgoedmannetje
Guru Meditator
Points: 27,698, Level: 98 Points: 27,698, Level: 98 Points: 27,698, Level: 98
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
 
Speelgoedmannetje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Groningen, the Netherlands
Posts: 9,614
Send a message via MSN to Speelgoedmannetje Send a message via Skype™ to Speelgoedmannetje
Default Re: Advice on beating the heat...

Quote:
adz wrote:
@NFM

What sort of temps are we talking here? 35+C?

Try and steer clear of evaporative cooling (the ones you put water/ice in) unless of course you enjoy the smell of mildew and the presence of mould on your walls and curtains.
That's why I wrote: with the windows open :-)
__________________
And the canary said: 'chirp'
Speelgoedmannetje is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
heat , beating , advice

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
beating the samba horse to death... J-Golden Amiga Software Issues and Discussion 2 05-06-2006 02:34 AM
Indy Heat... phill25 Amiga Gaming 4 09-25-2005 07:25 AM
how much heat in watts adonay Amiga Hardware Issues and discussion 4 03-04-2005 10:35 AM
DoomMaster in the heat restore2003 General chat about Amiga topics 17 09-25-2004 04:15 PM
G 4 Heat issues ? Athlon Amiga Hardware Issues and discussion 7 09-20-2003 03:13 AM