Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice on beating the heat...  (Read 1588 times)

Description:

Offline NoFastMemTopic starter

• Show only replies by NoFastMem
Advice on beating the heat...
« on: July 18, 2005, 02:35:44 PM »
I said heat! This isn't another one of those Amiga.org threads. ;-)

Well my flat gets so hot during the day that I literally can't think straight, or concentrate on anything. I have a pedestal fan in the kitchen/lounge area and i keep all the windows open but the heat just continues to build. I'm not running any particularly exothermic appliances... A small energy class A fridge/freezer, and my laptop, neither of which push out an awful lot of heat, are all I have running most of the time.

So, with a heavy heart, I'm starting to look at something a little more active than my fan. Ugh, next I'll have an SUV. Anyway. I'd like to consider any alternative before blowing £200 on an A/C unit (that's before I even plug the bugger in.) Has anyone used those vent-free ones you put ice/water in? Are they any good? I'm a little skeptical about their performance and haven't had the chance to see one working. Any other ideas would be appreciated too...

:-?
AKA that_punk_guy

Re: Advice on beating the heat...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 02:45:55 PM »

NoFastMem wrote:
I said heat! This isn't another one of those Amiga.org threads. ;-)

Well my flat gets so hot during the day that I literally can't think straight, or concentrate on anything. I have a pedestal fan in the kitchen/lounge area and i keep all the windows open but the heat just continues to build. I'm not running any particularly exothermic appliances... A small energy class A fridge/freezer, and my laptop, neither of which push out an awful lot of heat, are all I have running most of the time.

So, with a heavy heart, I'm starting to look at something a little more active than my fan. Ugh, next I'll have an SUV. Anyway. I'd like to consider any alternative before blowing £200 on an A/C unit (that's before I even plug the bugger in.) Has anyone used those vent-free ones you put ice/water in? Are they any good? I'm a little skeptical about their performance and haven't had the chance to see one working. Any other ideas would be appreciated too...

:-?

You know those blue freezer blocks that you freeze then insert in a picnic bag?

Buy some of those and put them in your socks! :-)

Cheap and environment friendlier. ;-)

edit: Or just move back up here to Lancashire.  It's pissing it down currently, and isn't warm in the slightest. :-(

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 02:59:20 PM »
Close yer curtains (with open windows), and make them wet (with water, of course :-P) and keep them wet.
I don't really know, but I think that might help :-)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 04:24:01 PM »
I would go further than that, I would keep windows closed and curtains closed.

Find the coolest room in the house, if you aren't working, then turn night into day, and sleep during the day!!!
:-)
I like Amigas

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 10:25:58 PM »
Speelgoedmannetje wrote:
Close yer curtains (with open windows), and make them wet (with water, of course :-P) and keep them wet.
I don't really know, but I think that might help :-)

I have tried keeping the curtains shut and it makes things feel a little less humid somehow, but I still find myself nodding off because of the heat.

The only trouble with going nocturnal as Adam suggested is that it really won't do my mental health any good.  :-(
AKA that_punk_guy

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 10:28:58 PM »

mdma wrote:

You know those blue freezer blocks that you freeze then insert in a picnic bag?

Buy some of those and put them in your socks! :-)

Cheap and environment friendlier. ;-)

edit: Or just move back up here to Lancashire.  It's pissing it down currently, and isn't warm in the slightest. :-(

:lol: Reminds me of those McD****ds adverts with the carpet-slippers!

Sorry to hear about the weather. It's actually rained here some, but as far as I'm concerned that was quite welcome.

Unfortunately... I hope to avoid returning to Lancashire ever again.
AKA that_punk_guy

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 10:48:58 PM »

Unfortunately... I hope to avoid returning to Lancashire ever again.

Just like me.

Thats what I said in 1996.  I've been back 3&1/2 years already.

Going back to Brum soonish, and i'm staying there this time.

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 11:48:20 PM »
@NFM

What sort of temps are we talking here? 35+°C?

Try and steer clear of evaporative cooling (the ones you put water/ice in) unless of course you enjoy the smell of mildew and the presence of mould on your walls and curtains. You can buy portable refrigerated A/C units, but they are tad more expensive than a wall mount or split system. Just go for it, a sumner without A/C (in Australia anyway) can be quite unbearable.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 12:12:37 AM »

adz wrote:
@NFM

Try and steer clear of evaporative cooling (the ones you put water/ice in) unless of course you enjoy the smell of mildew and the presence of mould on your walls and curtains. You can buy portable refrigerated A/C units, but they are tad more expensive than a wall mount or split system. Just go for it, a sumner without A/C (in Australia anyway) can be quite unbearable.

You can say "@TPG", everyone else does, hehe. :-)

Hmm. I haven't actually measured the temperature. If I had to guess I'd say it's in the upper twenties inside, but I don't have a sense of temperature, so to speak, since I've never really paid attention to weather forecasts and things. So I really don't know. I just know it's too hot. :-D

But yeah... Damp and mould are a definite no-no for me. I have a lot of books and records and camera lenses around that could do without that sort of damage. Thanks for the tip!

Since my flat is rented a portable unit is really the only way to go (I'm having trouble convincing the landlord even to let me replace the manky old kitchen cupboard.) I saw one for £150, which isn't so bad but they didn't take my card... Bummer.
AKA that_punk_guy

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 12:56:43 AM »

NoFastMem wrote:

You can say "@TPG", everyone else does, hehe. :-)

Will do :-D

Hmm. I haven't actually measured the temperature. If I had to guess I'd say it's in the upper twenties inside, but I don't have a sense of temperature, so to speak, since I've never really paid attention to weather forecasts and things. So I really don't know. I just know it's too hot. :-D

Dude, upper twenties is great weather, in Melbourne, the inside of a house without A/C can quite easily hit a temp of around 45°C on a really hot day :-o

Since my flat is rented a portable unit is really the only way to go (I'm having trouble convincing the landlord even to let me replace the manky old kitchen cupboard.) I saw one for £150, which isn't so bad but they didn't take my card... Bummer.

Landlords can be real arse's at the best of times, too bad there isn't any way of getting back at them without loosing your bond.

Offline Cyberus

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 01:33:40 AM »

adz wrote:
Landlords can be real arse's at the best of times, too bad there isn't any way of getting back at them without loosing your bond.

Adam (cool name btw ;-)*), I've thought to myself in the past that the deposit you put on the place may be 'returnable', but really is just the landlord's retirement fund anyway!  :-o Might as well trash it....

I've just moved into this place, the idea was (how anal does this sound...) to take photos of the place and burn em onto CD and send them to the landlord soon, right at the start of the tenancy...

@ Chris

I was just thinking, this thread isn't geeky enough dammit, this is meant to be a computer geek forum....so....
Why not connect loads of old CPU fans together? :-D

*sure I've said the same thing before
I like Amigas

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 02:12:24 AM »

Cyberus wrote:

Adam (cool name btw ;-)*)...

Well said :-D :-D :-D

I've thought to myself in the past that the deposit you put on the place may be 'returnable', but really is just the landlord's retirement fund anyway!  :-o Might as well trash it....

Suppose your right, you can't go out for a decent drink with less than a $100 these days, so the fun you have trashing it, may indeed be well worth it :lol:

I've just moved into this place, the idea was (how anal does this sound...) to take photos of the place and burn em onto CD and send them to the landlord soon, right at the start of the tenancy...

Sounds more like paranoia to me ;-)

@ Chris

I was just thinking, this thread isn't geeky enough dammit, this is meant to be a computer geek forum....so....

What, something like this.

*sure I've said the same thing before

You have, but it doesn't hurt to say it again :-)

Offline Cyberus

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 06:40:18 AM »

adz wrote:

[quote}

What, something like this.
[/quote]

Notice how he says he's going to put another PSU in there to run the fans...but wait, what if for some reason the PSU needs cooling? Then you'll need to run another PSU's worth of fans, but how will you power it??? With another PSU, of course. Which will mean that you'll need more fans, but where are you going to get the power? With a PSU, but then of course you'll need more fans, which will require another PSU, and then

Ok,ok, I'm tired its almost 7am and I've lost a whole night to Day of Defeat... :-(
I like Amigas

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 07:05:38 AM »

Cyberus wrote:

Notice how he says he's going to put another PSU in there to run the fans...but wait, what if for some reason the PSU needs cooling? Then you'll need to run another PSU's worth of fans, but how will you power it??? With another PSU, of course. Which will mean that you'll need more fans, but where are you going to get the power? With a PSU, but then of course you'll need more fans, which will require another PSU, and then

Ok,ok, I'm tired its almost 7am and I've lost a whole night to Day of Defeat... :-(

Holy gob shite :-o :-o :-o

Well, I kinda lost a whole day of work to a.org :lol:

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 08:37:59 AM »

adz wrote:
@NFM

Try and steer clear of evaporative cooling (the ones you put water/ice in) unless of course you enjoy the smell of mildew and the presence of mould on your walls and curtains.
That's why I wrote: with the windows open :-)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'