Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help with Genesis TC/IP software?  (Read 1023 times)

Description:

Offline ckillerh3Topic starter

• Show only replies by ckillerh3
    • http://home.comcast.net/~ckillerh3/main_index.html
Help with Genesis TC/IP software?
« on: May 07, 2005, 02:41:03 AM »
Hi -

As you can see from my previous postings I'm struggling to get my Amiga 4000 connected to the Net (yes, using a PC right now).

I have stumbled through installing the X-Surf Drivers and Genesis from the OS 3.9 disk onto my HD.  I can not seem to configure Genesis to access my ethernet cable modem line.

The questions the config software asks are as follows. What am I doing wrong?

1) Modem or Network Card (this one is EZ)

2) Device:  I choose X-surf.device
Unit 0

3) Special Configuration needed?  Yes

4) Details of the special config?
Env:Sana2/X-surf.config
Contents: Unit0 full duplex1
Unit1 full duplex 1
Parameters ( I do not know what to enter here)

Then I get the message
Sending BOOTP Request
Then I get the error "no response or can't find IP"

Does anybody have any insight here.  

I'm SOOOOO close . . . .

Thanks for any help.
Amiga 4000D/040 Warp Engine/SCSI-CD/Cybergraphic64/X-Surf
Amiga 1200T 060/60 PPC603e BVision and more
Amiga 1200 nice white case GVP1230/1291SCSI
Amiga 2500 stock 2630 GVP HC+8(4)CD-ROM

Offline Ilwrath

Re: Help with Genesis TC/IP software?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 03:10:40 AM »
Then I get the message
Sending BOOTP Request
Then I get the error "no response or can't find IP"

Well, do you have anything that acknowledges BOOTP?  If you're just plugging the Amiga straight into the cable modem, the answer to that question is likely "No."  Hence your error.  Your Amiga is asking for an IP address by BOOTP, the cablemodem doesn't acknowledge BOOTP, and then the Amiga says "Duh, I don't have an IP address" and quits.

Try turning off BOOTP and jotting down the IP address, Subnet Mask and DNS server information obtained on your PC, and type those in as a fixed IP on the Amiga.  

Also make sure you power off your cable modem when switching between the PC and Amiga, as most cable modems lock to the MAC address of a single network card, and won't talk to any others until you reset the device.

Offline ckillerh3Topic starter

• Show only replies by ckillerh3
    • http://home.comcast.net/~ckillerh3/main_index.html
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 04:13:24 AM »
There is a bit more to the story -
I have a router stuffed between the cable box so one line goes to my PC, the other to the Amiga.  I believe it is a dynamic IP address system which changes ?

Anyway . . . .

I bypassed the BOOTP and entered the information.  It allowed me to complete the installation wizard and when I ran the program it <> it was on-line but still was not connecting to the web when I stared AWeb II.

BTW - when I came back to my PC and looked at the screen it had popped up an error message stating that another computer on the system was accessing the IP address and that the connection from the PC might become unstable.

Stephen  :-?
Amiga 4000D/040 Warp Engine/SCSI-CD/Cybergraphic64/X-Surf
Amiga 1200T 060/60 PPC603e BVision and more
Amiga 1200 nice white case GVP1230/1291SCSI
Amiga 2500 stock 2630 GVP HC+8(4)CD-ROM

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 05:57:39 AM »
I have a router stuffed between the cable box so one line goes to my PC, the other to the Amiga. I believe it is a dynamic IP address system which changes ?

Oh, well that's different then.  NARF!

Ok, the router probably does hand out dynamic IP addresses.  But it probably does this by DHCP, not BOOTP.  So your Amiga still isn't talking to anything that can give it an IP address dynamically.

I bypassed the BOOTP and entered the information. It allowed me to complete the installation wizard and when I ran the program it <> it was on-line but still was not connecting to the web when I stared AWeb II.

Well, it may have something to do with a bad DNS entry, bad default gateway, or more likely, this problem you mention below.

BTW - when I came back to my PC and looked at the screen it had popped up an error message stating that another computer on the system was accessing the IP address and that the connection from the PC might become unstable.

Yeah, I was assuming that the PC wouldn't be present on the network segment when the Amiga was on.  (Such as plugging the Amiga directly into the cable modem.)  Anyhow, your router handles DHCP, but it probably won't care if you pick another IP and assign it statically to the Amiga.  

The router probably hands out NAT addresses.  Something like 192.168.0.2, right?  Well, whatever IP address it gives your PC, just give the Amiga a number one higher.  So if the PC has 192.168.0.2, give the Amiga 192.168.0.3, and leave the rest of the settings identical to the PC.  It was probably the IP address conflict that stopped the Amiga from actually connecting properly.  :)

Offline vpamicue

• Show only replies by vpamicue
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 06:10:33 AM »
After reading all info you have two problems Genisis does not use dhcp and if you assigned an IP address to your Amiga that is being used by another Computer (the PC) it will not allow you on.

On a Linksys router the dynamic range and static range are completly different numbers. ie 192.168.1.2  (2 to 99) is DHCP assigned dynamic address and 193.168.1.101 would be the static range (100 to 199).

On a Dlink you can use any number in the range the router will make it static. ie 192.168.0.2 (2 to 99 any number can be static)

You will also have to identify your host or gateway as the router. For linksys this would be 192.168.1.1 for DLink it would be 192.168.0.1.

All this info should be in your Router manual. If you have an other router it will be similar.

VP AMICUE
Amiga Computer Users of Edmonton
\\"Your Amiga Source in Northern Alberta\\"