Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Picasso IV NTSC screenmodes not working  (Read 866 times)

Description:

Offline amiga2000Topic starter

• Show only replies by amiga2000
Picasso IV NTSC screenmodes not working
« on: March 07, 2003, 06:53:50 AM »
My Picasso4 is working fine (as far as I can tell) for all the rtg modes, but the ntsc and pal native amiga modes no longer work - I get a blank black screen. If I have a boot problem (like invalidated partition), it is difficult for me tostart up the computer since I cannot see the screen.
What are the possible causes for this, both hardware and software? I assume it is something involved with the picasso since if I connect a cable to the b/w video out, I can see the ntsc screen.

I was also wondering - if it turns out that the p4 hardware is broken, what are my options for getting the ntsc screenmodes to work, without messing up the p4 rtg setup -- is there some scandoubler/flickerfixer that I could use WITH the picasso4?

Thanks.
Amiga 2000 Blizzard040 64MBFast 2MBChip OS3.9 PicassoIV Concierto Paloma Pablo X-Surf Catweasel Highway Norway in a Micronik classic tower

Amiga 1200 BlizzardPPC 128MBFast BVision in a Micronik Infinitiv Mk-2 tower

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
Re: Picasso IV NTSC screenmodes not working
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 09:21:39 AM »
It could be one of two things; either the scandoubler/flickerfixer in the PIV is broken, or there is something wrong with the video port in the A2000.

One thing to try would be removing the PIV and cleaning the contacts on the video port edge connector, and blow any dust out of the port.

If there is an Amiga user group in your area (i know, not likely these days  :-( ), someone may have another PIV you could swap out and see if the card is at fault.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline zipper

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 09:35:59 AM »
There are some socketed chips on PIV that belong to the FliFi. They may have crept up (for me at least once) - so push them firmly down - you may notice some movement and cracking sound. Hope it helps.

Offline tonyw

• Show only replies by tonyw
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2003, 01:00:58 AM »
The flicker fixer in the PIV doesn't work until the PIV gets initialised. So if the SS fails early, you only get a PAL or NTSC output from the on-board chip. Your monitor probably can't display the low H frequency, so stays black.

On my 4000+PIV, I have to have a PAL B&W monitor handy whenever I'm playing with things, otherwise I can't see what's not happening. I made up a cable from the 23-pin video output to an RCA plug in the back of a small TV, so I can see the early SS video.

tony

Offline N7VQM

• Show only replies by N7VQM
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2003, 01:39:57 AM »

tonyw wrote:
The flicker fixer in the PIV doesn't work until the PIV gets initialised. So if the SS fails early, you only get a PAL or NTSC output from the on-board chip. Your monitor probably can't display the low H frequency, so stays black.

That was never case with my PIV.   The only problem I ever had with the scandoubler/FliFi on my PIV was with my CSPPC pre-startup menu and that started after I applied a FlashROM update.
\\"...an error of 1 is much less significant in counting the population of the Earth than in counting the occupants of a phone booth.\\" - Michael T. Heath, Scientific Computing...

Offline Castellen

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 02:26:16 AM »
Plug a monitor (like C= 1084s) into the 23 pin video port and you'll see if the motherboard GFX are working.

If it is, and the PIV shows nothing, then check the video slot looms.  From memory, on the A2000 the video slot is not inline with the Zorro slots, so you have to break the front edge connector out of the PIV and plug it seperately into the video slot using looms.

Offline amiga2000Topic starter

• Show only replies by amiga2000
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2003, 04:54:45 AM »
Hi - thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried pushing any chips on the P4 firmly back on the card, and the flickerfixer/scandoubler was installed separately into the video slot a while back.

I know that the motherboard graphics are working, because if I plug the b/w video out to a vcr, I can see the ntsc screenmode.

I will try re-seating the flickerfixer/scandoubler and see if that helps. I guess it is either broken, or the video slot is broken... or maybe the cables connecting the main p4 to the ffsd are broken.

In any case - I hardly use the ntsc screenmodes. I forget though - does the PicassoIV *need* that module in order to function with the rtg screenmodes? I do not think I would bother buying one, but could I install the Bio-Con Video Magician and get the NTSC screenmodes to output through that (it installs in the video slot)?

Thanks.
Amiga 2000 Blizzard040 64MBFast 2MBChip OS3.9 PicassoIV Concierto Paloma Pablo X-Surf Catweasel Highway Norway in a Micronik classic tower

Amiga 1200 BlizzardPPC 128MBFast BVision in a Micronik Infinitiv Mk-2 tower