Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 600 Hard Disk setup  (Read 4014 times)

Description:

Offline iMacMigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by iMacMiga
    • http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk/
Amiga 600 Hard Disk setup
« on: April 04, 2005, 08:25:03 AM »
I'm having a few problems. A major long time ago (I don't expect anyone remembers we've all drunk a lot of beer or slept, or both, and/or survived christmas & new year at least twice since) I started out with Amigas with a little A600. After a bit of machination and building a custom PSU rig for it I found that the floppy drove was dead and cast it aside in favour of a 1200 with the intention of coming back to it 'sometime'.

Sometime was yesterday when I was donated a working A600 with badly yellowed casing and a pile of games (and Deluxe Paint III - wooohhooo!! ;)). I kinda hacked 2 machines out of one and Robert's your mother's brother it worked. Great.

Now I'd always intended to add a hard disk to it because I get sick of swapping floppies constantly just to boot Workbench. I booted the copy of Workbench 2.05 that came with it (yes on original disks - what treasure!!) and discovered it has no hard disk tools. Drat. I inserted the Amiga OS 3.1 install disk and tried HDToolbox and that seemed to work and I installed and partitioned the drive. I even, probably through more stupidity than anything else found it will boot Amiga OS 3.1 despite only having a 2.05 ROM. Interesting.

Anyway, the hard disk partitions show up on the desktop, as IHD0:NDOS and IDH1:NDOS as you'd expect them to, so it looks at least to the casual observer like that works. The problem comes when I try to format the partitions. The OS 3.1 formatter flat out won't run. The 2.05 formatter asks me to insert the disk IDH0 (normal) then warns it will erase everything (normal) then a dialog pops up that says 'Only Quick Format is allowed' then another that says 'Not enough memory'. The thing will format floppies perfectly well (although not using the 3.1 formatter) and has about 720k free CHIP RAM.

I know 1MB is an awfully small hole to run an OS in, even on an Amiga, but I refuse to believe you need a FastRAM card just to run a hard disk, did these machines not originally ship with hard disks in some guise? Granted mine is a little bit bigger than any sold with an Amiga (1.2GB split into 2x579MB partitions) but it is otherwise a perfectly standard (and working) IDE 2.5" hard disk.

Help. I'm stuck in a loop...  :pissed:
Mark Benson - Realist and Curmudgeon -
http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk/
A2000 040/25
A4000 060/50
Ultra-600 Project
A1200 \\\'C=Flash\\\' games machine
CD32
EFIKA 5200B

Offline zipper

Re: Amiga 600 Hard Disk setup
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 09:23:49 AM »
Check how many buffers you are trying to use with those partitions, perhaps the buffers are eating too much memory.

Offline Darklight

• Show only replies by Darklight
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 09:28:28 AM »
I installed an HD in my A600 not too long ago, and it took me a weekend to do it  :lol:
Once you've gotten the partitions to appear on the desktop, you want to just boot WB 2.05 up, then highlight the partition you want to format, then click on 'Format' in the top menu bar as you would a disk, that should take care of it.  :-)

Offline Noster

• Show only replies by Noster
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 10:13:34 AM »
Hi,

@iMacMiga

Sorry that I cannot help ypou with your problem, but if you own the original WB 2.05 disk set, there should be a disk called "Install" containing the required harddisk-tools.

But BTW are every A600 computers equiped with an IDE interface, so you could add an IDE disk to every A600?
I try to get an A600 via eBay, because it is such a nice little machine and I could sell my ugly A500 if I could get an A600. It would be cool to add a HD to that Amiga, makes it much more usefull.

Noster
DON\\\'T PANIC
    Douglas Adams - Hitch Hiker\\\'s Guide to the Galaxis

Offline iMacMigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by iMacMiga
    • http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk/
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 12:55:04 PM »

zipper wrote:
Check how many buffers you are trying to use with those partitions, perhaps the buffers are eating too much memory.

Good thinking.

It looks like my 2.05 set is missing a disk as itdoesn't have an install disk. It's not that big a problem as I think 3.1 would work reasonably ok on it if I could get the hard disk working, I just would have to use the 2.05 format app in place of the 3.1 version which obviously doesn't like A600s (probably becuase of the old ROM, or lack of free memory or something).

I'll give that a shot, where would I check the nmumber of buffers? Maybe in HDToolbox?
Mark Benson - Realist and Curmudgeon -
http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk/
A2000 040/25
A4000 060/50
Ultra-600 Project
A1200 \\\'C=Flash\\\' games machine
CD32
EFIKA 5200B

Offline BenShep

• Show only replies by BenShep
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 01:03:19 PM »
All are equipped with an IDE interface, but not all have a kickstart rom installed that lets you use it.  You have to have 37.350 or later to use a hard drive.  

You'll probably also have to source a hard drive mounting bracket and cable (44 pin - 40 pin I think it was?) if it came without a hard drive initially .

At the moment I'm puzzling over how to get networking going with a 3com 3c589c.  I got some version of amitcp and installed it, but have no idea how to proceed from there.  Do I have to install the sana-II driver manually & set up some config files?  

I'm also trying to find a suitable type of 4mb pcmcia card to use as extra memory (for whdload).  Luckily mine had an a601 installed so I have some extra memory up my sleeve - but I need more! Anyone have a list of cards which can be used?

Also, what happened to that Apollo 630 remake? Not going ahead after all?

Offline Argus

• Show only replies by Argus
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 02:19:15 PM »
BenShep

You have to put the Aminet 3Com driver in the Devs:Networks directory.  You have to make this directory first as it doesn't exist under a normal install.  There may also be a driver just to place in the devs: directory as well, can't remember.  Then you simply type in manually the device name under AmiTCP (I use Miami though).  I'll check tonight and send to you the driver if you can't get it running.

Oh, there's also a program to allow for pcmcia resets so you can hot plug the 3Com card.  More later....
posted on A2500+ C=2620 14MHz/8MbFast/1MbChip
dialed in @34K
Just livin\\\' the dream...

Offline zipper

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 02:45:01 PM »

I'll give that a shot, where would I check the nmumber of buffers? Maybe in HDToolbox?

Yes, or HDInstallTools (hdinst.lha)

Offline BenShep

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 02:54:46 PM »
Thanks Argus.

btw Miami Vs AmiTCP - which is better?

Offline Doppie1200

• Show only replies by Doppie1200
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 03:57:56 PM »

BenShep wrote:
All are equipped with an IDE interface, but not all have a kickstart rom installed that lets you use it.  You have to have 37.350 or later to use a hard drive.  

This is not entirely true. The 37.350 is the best revision of the 2.05 rom. But 37.300 will allow the use of harddisk aswell. But on some occassions you can run into trouble when using a harddrive larger than 40MB. 37.350 never has problems.

I have an A600 with the 37.300 rom running a 350MB harddisk without any problems.

37.299 is missing something if I recall correctly.
Regards,
Erno

(O\\\\_|_/O) <- this is supposed to look like the front of my beetle
(entire front not possible in signature)

Offline BenShep

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 04:48:30 PM »
Ah yes that sounds right.  Oopsy.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 06:17:04 PM »
These problems are exactly the reason why we ship our A600 and A1200 hard disks prepped, formatted and with the OS-Install program for automatic installation.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline BenShep

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 06:28:53 PM »
I was fearing such an unhelpful post from amigakit.. and here it is.

Surely there is (or should be) some forum rule regarding shameless pimping of a business while contributing nothing (helpful) to the conversation?

It's basically spam.

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 07:21:26 PM »
Have Amigakit give away it's secret recipe on how to prep a Amiga 600/1200 hard disk?  Oh no how could they! :banana:
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline amigakit

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 08:06:06 PM »
Thats a bit unfair - we answer many emails helping Amigans every day and contribute to a few forums.  In fact it is a main priority to our make Amiga products more user-friendly that leads us to provide ready-to-go hard disks, network cards etc.

Anyway, apologies for the sparce reply above.
Looking at the problem, Workbench will not allow formatting of the hard disk- have you the correct version of the FastFileSystem in your L: directory?

A standard A600 memory will be fine for formatting of the hard disk drive- although reducing the buffers for the hard disk is an idea.  Also check that the drive's geometry is correctly setup in HDToolbox.

If you dont have access to HDToolbox we stock the AmigaOS Installation floppies.

Hope this helps....

@BenShep

If you are having trouble with the PCMCIA card, email and I will send you the AmigaKit Network CD as a lha file email attachment.  That has a full installer and AmiTCP to get the card working quickly on the Amiga.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit