Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My OS3.9 keeps resetting during startup sequence !! HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1487 times)

Description:

Offline EffyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Effy
Truth is that I haven´t used my system in many many months. Fact is that my whole OS 3.9 plus all my collection of demo´s and games is stored on a 20 Gb 3,5" harddrive that is connected to a Zorro IV Powerflyer (Elbox). Processor is a Blizzard PPC 233/060, first with CV64/3D, later with Bvision, but now again with CV64/3D or at least that was meant to be ...
So I connected everything again, booted up, system resets itself at first boot which is normal under 3.9, but later it just keeps on resetting itself before I get into the Workbench. No guru, no meditation, no error message of any kind ...
So I started to add "echo"´s to the startup sequence to see how far it got before resetting. Turns out that it resets at the line "Iprefs" so I added a ";" to that line. Then it resets at the line "LoadWB" before I get any screen ...
Haven´t got a clue why ...
I deleted the lines of the Powerflyer that are always on top of the list, but no result ...
I used my emergency disc ... didn´t give any problem, works like a charm, really, including CDrom access. So it seems that there is not really something wrong with the hardware.
I can also boot up without startup sequence and then use Loadwb and Endcli and then use my DirOpus V4.12 floppy to browse through my directories ...
But before I start to format things, can anybody please help me out ??? This may seem a familiar problem to some of you but for me it is the first time ...

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
Re: My OS3.9 keeps resetting during startup sequence !! HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 09:17:13 PM »
Check the items in your WBStartup folder.  I'm not sure when these get executed but there might be something in there.  

Are there any system patches that might cause LoadWB to fail?  (Try booting without startup sequence and just running LoadWB)
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 09:34:35 PM »
WBStartup is run after LoadWB has finished.

It could be one line in your start-up, or it could be a dodgy library.  It could even be a dodgy LoadWB file.
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 04:08:58 AM »
Booting without startup sequence works, loadwb and endcli also. So it´s not those two files that {bleep} up ...
I cleaned the WBstartup directory so nothing can cause it to crash ...

Should I (to play it safe) rename the Libs to Libs-old and then do a full "OS3.9 install over OS3.0" to get the correct libs ???

Offline Jope

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 07:12:29 AM »
Make sure you have the current 060 libraries, etc.

I'd perhaps step the s-s line by line with snoopdos running, so you might have the chance of catching where it goes wrong.

Offline Noster

• Show only replies by Noster
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 07:54:04 AM »
Hi

@Effy

You've said that your emergency disk works fine ? So I would try to copy the files from this disk at the corresponding directories on the harddisk (you should backup the startup-sequence and the user-startup before you overwrite them) this way your system should boot (if the hardware is ok).

Noster
DON\\\'T PANIC
    Douglas Adams - Hitch Hiker\\\'s Guide to the Galaxis

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 09:16:28 AM »
@Effy

Trial and error I'm afraid.  As pointed out, files in WB Startup load after the startup sequence is executed, so we know there's a dodgy library or executable that's causing the problem.

First thing's first, if you can load Dopus or any other file manager from floppy you should backup your WB partition somewhere safe.  

Have you installed a Boing Bag update recently by any chance?  There were a few lines in the startup sequence that made my machine fall over...
Cecilia for President

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 09:50:04 AM »
Truth is that I haven´t used my system in many many months. Fact is that my whole OS 3.9 plus all my collection of demo´s and games is stored on a 20 Gb 3,5" harddrive that is connected to a Zorro IV Powerflyer (Elbox). Processor is a Blizzard PPC 233/060, first with CV64/3D, later with Bvision, but now again with CV64/3D or at least that was meant to be ...

so it is something GFX card driver related.

Try to delete the Screenmode.prefs with a 15 Khz monitor installed.

Bye

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 12:18:11 PM »
There seems to be some progress, although ...
As Framiga tried to help, it WAS gfx card related. I removed the CV64/3D and suddenly my system booted up from harddrive. But because I removed the Z4 Powerflyer lines in the startup sequence before, I now added them back again by re-installing the software again ... but after that it suddenly refused to boot up again. Now I seem to be stuck with a NDOS partition where my workbench should have been :(
So now I am trying to boot up with my Emergency Disk and re-install the harddrive again with HDtoolbox with the OS3.9 FastFileSystem but it keeps on giving the error that my CDrom can not be found, while it IS there at adress 1 on the scsi.device ... man, this really gives me headaches ...

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 05:21:47 AM »
Bang !!! At 5 am in the morning I woke up with the knowledge that the Powerflyer (every one of them) hates IdeFix !!! I remember that I read that in the document that came with it !! And of course, IdeFix is almost standard in an Emergency Disk !! So now I need to disable those lines in the startup sequence of that disk and then I am supposed to be able to access my CDrom  :-D
Shame I need to wait until my girlfriend wakes up because all my Amiga´s are stored in our bedroom  :lol:

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 01:45:51 PM »
:lol:

I hope that means you took out those lines in the emergency disk, oh and you'll probably need to replace the actual PowerFlyer startup lines (I think you said you deleted them earlier in the thread)

It's great when you get the answers when you're not thinking about it :-D

Pity you've got to wait to find out if it'll work though ;-)
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 02:10:56 PM »
Many hours and glasses of french red wine later  :pissed: Do I need to say something about my headache ???

So I have a 20 Gb hd on my Z4 Powerflyer, divided in 5 equal parts of each 4 Gb, typical for the Powerflyer. I decided to sacrifice my Boot partition of 49 and re-install it. Problem is that my Emergency Disk does not work as supposed to be, during the startup sequence I get an error about an unknown command called ">" ... but now I got a bit more clever and have my other Amiga with a working OS 3.9 on the other side of the table so I can use DirOpus for urgent medical repair. But I can not find any line that starts with that sign. Trust me, I have reformatted the floppy two times and did a complete "create Emergency Disk" by using the original CDrom om my working Amiga. But when I try to use the floppy on the not fully working Amiga then I get the error again. F**k !! I really hate this. There seems to be a ghost in my machine  :pissed: Just taken two pills against headache  :pissed: When I get the error during startup sequence I land into Dos. Tried LoadWb and Endcli and to my surprise the CDrom is mounted   :-o Don´t understand a clue of it. Okay, then let´s do it manually !!! Execute the startup sequence that is on the CDrom in the Emergency directory ... and again I get an error, about another commmand that it doesn´t know, a simple ":" ... inserted my DirOpus V4.12 floppy in external drive and checked out what is really on the CDrom and yes, there is indeed a line in the startup sequence that says something like "assign EDISK: :" which doesn´t seem correct to me ... f**k ... :pissed: can everybody still follow ??? Okay, then let´s continute the wild ride !! I decided to use my working Amiga to copy the so called not working startup sequence on CD to my Emergency Floppy but this time I used DirOpus to filter the error out of it and then saved it to the floppy but with the name "startup-sequence2". Then booted up the not working Amiga, inserted the Emergency Floppy and the OS3.9 CDrom. Got of course the same error again because I can not repair a file that is on CDrom. After the error I simply type "execute DF0:startup-sequence2" and this is followed by the error about something called "version" which I don´t understand. Okay, I try not to kill myself but instead I go back to the working Amiga and use DirOpus once again to change the Startup-sequence2 by putting a ";" in front of that line where the "version" command is given ... but when I tried it all again I got an error about something with the "RamLib" ...   :pissed:
I decided to give up on that route and take another way. I used my Install 3.1 floppy, installed the Zorro4 Powerflyer software on it (after I created some space) including AllegroCDFS. Okay, I now had a working Install 3.1 floppy with CDrom support, and yes, the OS3.9 CDrom is there in Workbench after a reboot !! That works, cool !!! Finally something positive !! Now I only needed to repartition my Boot partition and install OS 3.1 and then start allover again. But first I tried something else, executing the OS3.9 installation on CDrom while I did have CDrom access, but guess what I got this time "can not execute C/installer"  :pissed: I know this has got to be "c:installer" but this time I can not change it on CDrom ... aaaaaaaaaaarcg .... will somebody with a clear mind please please please help me out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 10:56:30 AM »
One week later, after a lot of Chianti italian red wine, a lot of headaches, and a two day sickness, I decided to give it another go and try a really dumb (?) idea of one of our Amiga Club members, changing the IDE cable by another one. As I thought, a not so intelligent idea .. but this really stupid thought of mine turns out to be one of the biggest screw ups of my last years, because it WAS the IDE cable that has been the cause of all my trouble !! I used another one and suddenly everything worked again, the HD and the CDrom ... man, can you imagine how stupid I suddenly felt  :-?

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 11:04:37 AM »
@ Effy

Don't worry, many of us here have done similar things. If I had to document all the crazy computer stunts I have done, I would have you rolling with laughter.