Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More desktop Prometheus pictures! Single slot, video card only.  (Read 4839 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Today I have been testing out ways to use a Prometheus in a single card configuration. I have had many people mention they'd only want to use a GFX card and nothing else, this way it will take up very little real estate.

Amiga 4000D:
Pros and cons here. Pro - You can use the Prometheus in the top slot with a GFX card, and still close the case. Amazingly when used this way it only take up 1 slot. Con- This kit will cost about ~$15 more than a A3000D kit becuase it requires the use of a small ribbon cable.
Prometheus installed with adapter in an A4000D, top slot.
Same A4000D with Voodoo 3 inserted in Promethes (side view).

As you see 3 slots are still entirely unobstructed.

Amiga 3000D:
Again pros and cons. Cons- The A3000D case is much shorter than the A4000D. Using the Prometheus in a single slot/video card only setup will block 2 slots in a desktop case, if the case is to close. Pro- Unbelievably simple and cheap! The total cost of the kit will probably be ~$20.
Prometheus installed in an A3000D with right angle adapter.
Same A3000D with Voodoo 3 installed (side view).
Same system with X-surf II installed.
Whoa what's this? Yup same system now with a Toaster:-)

As you see on the A3000D you can still use 2 full size zorro boards.

So.. Thoughts?  :-)
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Ilwrath

Re: More desktop Prometheus pictures! Single slot, video card only.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 02:56:24 AM »
Cool.... Is there such a thing as a dual angle bracket?  I'm picturing fitting two PCI cards, leaving the bottom Zorro slot/video slot open on the A4000?  (This would be perfect, as I have a bone-stock A4000 with scandoubler.)

Also, know of any cheap place to get a Cyberstorm PPC?   ;-)

• Original Omega User
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 03:05:13 AM »
I'm picturing fitting two PCI cards,

This is a piece of cake, I will take more pictures propbably tomorrow. Using 2 PCI cards with a Prometheus on an Amiga 4000D will only block 2 zorro slots. The bottom 2 slots, inline with the video slot, will be free.

Also, know of any cheap place to get a Cyberstorm PPC?

I sure do;-) HERE. Even after the repair bill it will probably be pretty cheap.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 03:14:01 AM »
It seems a shame to let all those other PCI slots go to waste in terms of price/functionality. Is there such thing as a Zorro right-angle adaptor? If the Prometheus could be rotated 90 degrees and moved closer to the backplane, you could have 3 Zorro slots and 4 PCI slots. Downside would be that it'd probably obscure the Video slot in the desktop models; the 3000T and 4000T might still have access, however.

• Original Omega User
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 03:22:40 AM »
@Matt_H

The best configuration is still a tower conversion. On my tower I have 3 free zorro slots and all PCI slots. Another AO member has a Prommy in his A3000T(C= made), he has like 6 free zorro and 4 PCI.

Desktop cases are very tight, the prometheus itself is too big to even consider a right angle zorro adapter. It would never fit.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 05:28:28 AM »
I still don't know if it's cost effective though.  After getting the Prometheus, Voodoo board, your kit, and shipping you're looking at ~$200.  That's a lot for just a video card.  But, like I said before, if the price was lower, I might consider it.  
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline BIG-IRON

• Show only replies by BIG-IRON
    • http://www.nojohnkerry.org/
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 06:55:16 AM »
Red! do you have these in stock???? the prometheus with an adaptor???? is that what I need to keep my 3000d in fine shape and not ugly it up with a tower? how much you scallywag!
BIG IRON (Or \\"heavy metal [Cambridge]) Large, expensive,ultra-fast computers. Used generally of number crunching supercomputers such as Crays, but can include more conventional big commercial IBMish mainframes.

• Original Omega User
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 12:50:26 PM »

adolescent wrote:
I still don't know if it's cost effective though.  After getting the Prometheus, Voodoo board, your kit, and shipping you're looking at ~$200.  That's a lot for just a video card.  But, like I said before, if the price was lower, I might consider it.  

Let's compare as close as possible to apples-to-apples.

Zorro:
CV64-3D - $229
(S3 virge)

Prometheus:
Prometheus - $139 plus kit -$25 (A3000 estimated) plus VIRGE PCI card - $5 Total - $169

Besides I plan on selling bundles with desktop kit and Voodoo card for a target price under $200. That will still be less than a CV643d. It's all up to the buyer if it is worth it to them. In the Amiga market, it is hardly expensive though. :-)

• Original Omega User
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 12:57:22 PM »

BIG-IRON wrote:
Red! do you have these in stock???? the prometheus with an adaptor???? is that what I need to keep my 3000d in fine shape and not ugly it up with a tower? how much you scallywag!

Scallywag?  :lol:

In stock? Absolutely on the Prometheus. I have a limited number of adapters I am ATM too. Do you want to only use this as a single PCI slot / gfx card solution? Or do you want to use it as a 2 PCI slot solution for ethernet + gfx card? I can accomidate either way. I have a rather large stock of 8029 ethernet cards on the way, I expect them early next week. I even have a few Voodoos. Just let me know what you want to do:-)

Offline adolescent

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 05:16:20 PM »
@Red

$219 for a Cybervision is the new price, how much does a Virge/Voodoo 3 cost new/retail?  Also, who pays that much anyway?  You can get a CV64/3D for much cheaper.  Average price in the US is ~$150.  

Offline BIG-IRON

• Show only replies by BIG-IRON
    • http://www.nojohnkerry.org/
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 05:47:47 PM »
You can pick up a new or used voodoo 3000 or 4500 for about 30 bucks or so and it kicks the hell outta anything else that the amiga can use (A radeon X800 on an amiga man that would be nice) check ebay or pricewatch.com for voodoo proces but they are cheap.
BIG IRON (Or \\"heavy metal [Cambridge]) Large, expensive,ultra-fast computers. Used generally of number crunching supercomputers such as Crays, but can include more conventional big commercial IBMish mainframes.

Offline Brian

• Show only replies by Brian
    • http://www.syntaxsociety.se
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 05:51:06 PM »
I wouldn't compare the two... The CV3D is just a graphic card (and can be found for much less than that... if one keeps his/her eyes peeled it can be found for less than 70$ though these offers are few and far apart). The Prommy is a PCI solusion and offers the possibility of much faster Voodoo graphiccrads and give you PCI slots for use with cheap Ethernet cards.

The Prommy is a cheap PCI solusion and currently the only one useable for A3000D but I belive drivers are it's biggest weakness and 'till that's no more I'm still in favour of the Mediator (even if it's not open).

Offline adolescent

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 05:51:14 PM »
Back on topic.  Have you tried using a taller PCI right angle adapter in the 1st slot, and a short one in the 2nd?  This should allow you to use both slots without taking up too much real estate.  

Something like these:

Note: one of these is an B-side adapter, but they're available as A-sides too.

Offline adolescent

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2004, 05:54:53 PM »

BIG-IRON wrote:
You can pick up a new or used voodoo 3000 or 4500 for about 30 bucks or so and it kicks the hell outta anything else that the amiga can use (A radeon X800 on an amiga man that would be nice) check ebay or pricewatch.com for voodoo proces but they are cheap.

An Amiga can't even use the full bandwidth of the Voodoo 3, much less the Radeon.  Adding a higher end card doesn't help performance at all.  I have what is probably the fastest Z3 video card, the Rainbow III, and the only thing that the Voodoo does better/faster is 3d and more memory.

• Original Omega User
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 05:58:23 PM »
$219 for a Cybervision is the new price

New or refurbished? No idea. Considering how many years it's been since they were made I'd be suprised if it was new.

how much does a Virge/Voodoo 3 cost new/retail?

Good luck finding a new Voodoo 3 card. I see Virge and Permedia II cards for $5-$10 each new at computer shows. You won't walk into a major retailer and find them on the shelf, just like Amiga stuff but it is easier to find than Amiga stuff.

Still even asuming the CV64-3D is new, so what? The Prometheus is brand new. I could bundle brand new S3 virge cards with it and still sell for less than $219. The Prommy would have future expansion options, the CV64-3d doesn't.

Average price in the US is ~$150.

For a used card on eBay, knock yourself out.