amiga.org
     
iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:45 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Amiga computer related discussion Amiga Gaming What games are you playing?

Amiga Gaming This forum is dedicated to games software and solutions for the Commodore Amiga computer. Need help blowing up pixels? Know of the next gaming revolution? Talk about it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #46
lassie
Cult Member
Points: 4,273, Level: 41 Points: 4,273, Level: 41 Points: 4,273, Level: 41
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
lassie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 624
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: What games are you playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritAnime View Post
I agree. Floppies slowly dying out. You can still buy them but I decided it wasn't worth the hassle any more. thats why I bought the HxC and did away with a physical drive. Same with the HDD it was just easier to work with a CF HDD then mess around with a clunky physical drive. To be honest the last few games I bought were defective and I ended up getting more use out of the manual than the disk.

it's not just magnetic mediums that are dying out. As reliable as cartridges are they too are dying out. All it takes is for some moisture to get in, for corded contacts or even a electrical fault in the system (My snes popped it's pico fuse ruining a copy of Desert strike) and the cart is gone. CD's and DVD's can only need one scratch and they are dead too.

Thats why I thankful for preservation projects that work to maintain healthy images of stuff.



I agree. There is obviously a lot of politics going on with these things. I read Games TM and the amount of stuff that you read is shocking about what goes on in the games industry. in the end it's the consumer that gets stiffed.

On a lighter note I have been enjoying Perihelion. I found a guide that contained all the glyph codes for the spells in the game. I have also been enjoying a much smoother gameplay experience with Frontier Elite II with the 1200. So much space and so little time to pirate.
I hope that my cartridges will not die to soon, i have over 200 of them for the Nes,Snes,sega,Atari Jaguar etc. I have only 1 cartridge, that have failed in my life time, and it was the first Zelda for the Nes in gold cartridge But all others works so far, i read that cartridge, was a strong Medium to store data and could work many years to come.
__________________
Amiga 4000 030 18 MB ram. 16 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 1200 030 34 MB ram. 8 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 2000 030 9 MB ram. 1 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 2000 68000 5 MB ram. 500 MB Hard disk.
Amiga 2000 68000 9 MB ram. 1 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 600 4 MB ram. 4 GB Hard disk.
Amiga 600 1 MB ram. 60 MB Hard disk.
Amiga 500 1 MB ram.
Amiga CD32
Amiga CD32
Commodore 64
Commodore 64C
Commodore 128
Commodore 128D
lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #47
lassie
Cult Member
Points: 4,273, Level: 41 Points: 4,273, Level: 41 Points: 4,273, Level: 41
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
lassie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 624
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: What games are you playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by som99 View Post
Because when more and more objects in the world are discovered the location of them are stored in the save file like items on the floor/tables etc and then it gets loaded in the ram and the ps3 has just to little ram at 256MB so it cripples when saves are to large.
So any of the fallout and elder scrolls gets unplayable when you have played long on one character.
I am sure they could bring an workaround for this but they might think it's to much work.

So selling broken games for the PS3 should not be allowed... since they have not fixed this issue in any of the games but keep releasing new ones with the same problems but just ignore it. That's so wrong on so many levels....

So I'm ditching Bethesda on console and I'll play em on pc instead. No more buying broken software for the ps3.

Also I skip quite a lot of ps3 games if they have no install to hard drive option because the blu-ray is to darn slow to load textures from and other content. Bought borderline 2 for PS3 without knowing and there where NOW install option, 10 mins after trying the game I ordered it for pc.

So I'm off the PS3 market, to many games with issues and to slow loading and other problems.

So atm I'm buying for pc and since I upgrade my pc quite often for quicker rendering and compiling anyways I have quite good hardware and have no problem running new games, I only have to spend a few hundred dollars extra for a new graphics card now and then but its no problem since I like to have quick gfx cards for protein folding anyways.
Hi mate
Is it true that PS3 has 7 cores?
__________________
Amiga 4000 030 18 MB ram. 16 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 1200 030 34 MB ram. 8 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 2000 030 9 MB ram. 1 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 2000 68000 5 MB ram. 500 MB Hard disk.
Amiga 2000 68000 9 MB ram. 1 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 600 4 MB ram. 4 GB Hard disk.
Amiga 600 1 MB ram. 60 MB Hard disk.
Amiga 500 1 MB ram.
Amiga CD32
Amiga CD32
Commodore 64
Commodore 64C
Commodore 128
Commodore 128D
lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #48
Tripitaka
Defender of the Faith
Points: 9,603, Level: 65 Points: 9,603, Level: 65 Points: 9,603, Level: 65
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
 
Tripitaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,286
Default Re: What games are you playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassie View Post
Hi mate
Is it true that PS3 has 7 cores?
CPU: Cell Processor

PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS
GPU: RSX @550MHz

1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines
Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz


....or perhaps you prefer the short answer:

Yes.
__________________
Falling into a dark and red rage.
Tripitaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #49
lassie
Cult Member
Points: 4,273, Level: 41 Points: 4,273, Level: 41 Points: 4,273, Level: 41
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
lassie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 624
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: What games are you playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripitaka View Post
CPU: Cell Processor

PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS
GPU: RSX @550MHz

1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines
Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz


....or perhaps you prefer the short answer:

Yes.
Okay thanks
That is quite cool for a system that is 7 years old.
__________________
Amiga 4000 030 18 MB ram. 16 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 1200 030 34 MB ram. 8 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 2000 030 9 MB ram. 1 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 2000 68000 5 MB ram. 500 MB Hard disk.
Amiga 2000 68000 9 MB ram. 1 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 600 4 MB ram. 4 GB Hard disk.
Amiga 600 1 MB ram. 60 MB Hard disk.
Amiga 500 1 MB ram.
Amiga CD32
Amiga CD32
Commodore 64
Commodore 64C
Commodore 128
Commodore 128D
lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #50
Tomask
Merely Curious
Points: 529, Level: 10 Points: 529, Level: 10 Points: 529, Level: 10
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 8
Default Re: What games are you playing?

On Amiga:
Bloodwych - Remember a friend and I used to play this game and it was alot of fun!
Wings - Never made it all the way through.. but loved the story!

On C64:
Bards Tale II

On PC:
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - just found it on Steam!
Tomask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #51
Tripitaka
Defender of the Faith
Points: 9,603, Level: 65 Points: 9,603, Level: 65 Points: 9,603, Level: 65
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
 
Tripitaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,286
Default Re: What games are you playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassie View Post
Okay thanks
That is quite cool for a system that is 7 years old.
Another couple gig of RAM and OS4 would be even cooler...
..ah well, can't have it all.
__________________
Falling into a dark and red rage.
Tripitaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #52
lassie
Cult Member
Points: 4,273, Level: 41 Points: 4,273, Level: 41 Points: 4,273, Level: 41
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
lassie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 624
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: What games are you playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripitaka View Post
Another couple gig of RAM and OS4 would be even cooler...
..ah well, can't have it all.
Yes that would have been a nice machine
__________________
Amiga 4000 030 18 MB ram. 16 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 1200 030 34 MB ram. 8 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 2000 030 9 MB ram. 1 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 2000 68000 5 MB ram. 500 MB Hard disk.
Amiga 2000 68000 9 MB ram. 1 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 600 4 MB ram. 4 GB Hard disk.
Amiga 600 1 MB ram. 60 MB Hard disk.
Amiga 500 1 MB ram.
Amiga CD32
Amiga CD32
Commodore 64
Commodore 64C
Commodore 128
Commodore 128D
lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #53
lassie
Cult Member
Points: 4,273, Level: 41 Points: 4,273, Level: 41 Points: 4,273, Level: 41
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
lassie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 624
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: What games are you playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritAnime View Post
I agree. Floppies slowly dying out. You can still buy them but I decided it wasn't worth the hassle any more. thats why I bought the HxC and did away with a physical drive. Same with the HDD it was just easier to work with a CF HDD then mess around with a clunky physical drive. To be honest the last few games I bought were defective and I ended up getting more use out of the manual than the disk.

it's not just magnetic mediums that are dying out. As reliable as cartridges are they too are dying out. All it takes is for some moisture to get in, for corded contacts or even a electrical fault in the system (My snes popped it's pico fuse ruining a copy of Desert strike) and the cart is gone. CD's and DVD's can only need one scratch and they are dead too.

Thats why I thankful for preservation projects that work to maintain healthy images of stuff.



I agree. There is obviously a lot of politics going on with these things. I read Games TM and the amount of stuff that you read is shocking about what goes on in the games industry. in the end it's the consumer that gets stiffed.

On a lighter note I have been enjoying Perihelion. I found a guide that contained all the glyph codes for the spells in the game. I have also been enjoying a much smoother gameplay experience with Frontier Elite II with the 1200. So much space and so little time to pirate.
Are it something you read that cartridges will soon stop to work? I have over 200 of them for all my machines, so i hope they will last long. i have heard that it was one of the better medium to store things on.
__________________
Amiga 4000 030 18 MB ram. 16 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 1200 030 34 MB ram. 8 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 2000 030 9 MB ram. 1 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 2000 68000 5 MB ram. 500 MB Hard disk.
Amiga 2000 68000 9 MB ram. 1 Gb Hard disk.
Amiga 600 4 MB ram. 4 GB Hard disk.
Amiga 600 1 MB ram. 60 MB Hard disk.
Amiga 500 1 MB ram.
Amiga CD32
Amiga CD32
Commodore 64
Commodore 64C
Commodore 128
Commodore 128D
lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
games , playing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump