amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Coffee House CH / The Amiga.org Sock Drawer CUSA poised to blow all amiga ng os's out of the water.

CH / The Amiga.org Sock Drawer Welcome to forum limbo. If your thread ends up here, you dodged the delete bullet at least...

Old 04-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #21
darkage
Technoid
Points: 6,261, Level: 51 Points: 6,261, Level: 51 Points: 6,261, Level: 51
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Default Re: CUSA poised to blow all amiga ng os's out of the water.

I definitely dont like Gentoo! I would only call GCC Ricers Gentoo users, since for every open distro your free to compile your own custom kernel. I dont seee the point to compile everything from scratch. ha! first time and last time I tried it took me something like 2 days to compile the OS on my old P133.. thats definitely a waste of time unless its a hobby or just for educational purposes but its definitely one of the fastest linux installs I've used haha no wonder when everything is compiled.

I find the BSD approach more organised and consolidated compared to linux. I do run lean installs and already have selected my favourite WM and tools thats works best for me. I only bother to recompile the kernel for efficiency, but for applications I just use binaries. Above all I prefer reliability which I didnt see in Linux in the past, things may have changed now.. I only run Linux (debian) on my Sharp Zaurus and use OpenBSD for server tasks firewalls/mail relays. FreeBSD is my workstation choice!

I am a bit bias since I've worked with Solaris and Irix before in the past.

Update - Just an afterthought, COS I believe is only poised to become yet another Linux Fork in a already cluttered landscape.. It will have to be a native 68k/PPC custom built from the ground up OS to be respected and have approval of the community.. but thats a dream....

Last edited by darkage; 04-30-2012 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: Update..
darkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #22
haywirepc
Defender of the Faith
Points: 11,841, Level: 71 Points: 11,841, Level: 71 Points: 11,841, Level: 71
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

I've used slackware based distros for the longest, but I got tired of common programs that many other distros have in their repos needing to be compiled. Maybe I got lazy but point click use beats download tarballs, compile, troubleshoot, recompile, and so on.

Like it or not ubuntu made things much easier.

I roll my own dream desktop and system right on top of puppy linux now. Its portable via usb thumb drives. except for my storage drives I can have my entire computer with me every where I go. Thats a great thing.

Almost anything I want just works. Ease of use and also the ability to easily fix it if something stops working are most important to me.

Okay its not amigaos, but you can make it look and act however you want.

Thats a beautiful thing.
haywirepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #23
darkage
Technoid
Points: 6,261, Level: 51 Points: 6,261, Level: 51 Points: 6,261, Level: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywirepc View Post
Maybe I got lazy but point click use beats download tarballs, compile, troubleshoot, recompile, and so on.
Thats the main reason I use *nix type OS'es to get away from Windows environments (point and click) and have something more stable. Im more of a purest and prefer more control over my environment.. After you troubleshoot/compile over time it gets pretty easy to get a gutt feeling of how to troubleshoot and keeps you on your toes..
darkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #24
runequester
It's Amiga time!
Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96
Activity: 96% Activity: 96% Activity: 96%

Debian or (K)Ubuntu, all good to me. These days, I kind of can't be bothered to fuss too much with getting basic stuff set up.

What people miss is that Debian or the Ubuntu variants don't close anything off. THey just give you what most people want up front. You can compile it all from scratch if you want.

I blog..a lot.
http://doctorwhoretrospec.blogspot.com/
http://redleftperspective.blogspot.com/
http://theamigablog.blogspot.com/
runequester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #25
mechy
Cult Member
Points: 13,068, Level: 74 Points: 13,068, Level: 74 Points: 13,068, Level: 74
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Send a message via AIM to mechy Send a message via MSN to mechy

I agree this garbage needs to go away. sick of these threads.

Mech
mechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #26
lsmart
Technoid
Points: 4,783, Level: 44 Points: 4,783, Level: 44 Points: 4,783, Level: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by runequester View Post
Debian or (K)Ubuntu, all good to me. These days, I kind of can't be bothered to fuss too much with getting basic stuff set up.

What people miss is that Debian or the Ubuntu variants don't close anything off. THey just give you what most people want up front. You can compile it all from scratch if you want.
+1
lsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #27
persia
Banned
Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Centos is the way to go if you are building a web server VM.
persia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #28
smerf
Defender of the Faith
Points: 12,809, Level: 73 Points: 12,809, Level: 73 Points: 12,809, Level: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
^ This. It could be the best distro in the world, it's still got squat to do with Commodore or Amiga.
Hi,

@commodorejohn

As if MorphOS, and AROS does.

Closest thing out there is Natami.

And really if you put it in mild terms, nothing out there has anything to do with Commodore or Amiga.

smerf

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better
smerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #29
commodorejohn
VIP / Donor
Points: 11,260, Level: 70 Points: 11,260, Level: 70 Points: 11,260, Level: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerf View Post
As if MorphOS, and AROS does.
Uh, A. both of the above are actual Amiga OS-derived designs that are directly compatible with well-behaved Amiga software, so yes they do, and B. even if they didn't that wouldn't invalidate my point.

Quote:
Closest thing out there is Natami.
No argument there, though there's also Minimig and FPGA Arcade.

Quote:
And really if you put it in mild terms, nothing out there has anything to do with Commodore or Amiga.
Uh, how do you figure that? There are multiple Amiga-derived projects put together by people in the community. C-OS just isn't one of them.

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
commodorejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #30
smerf
Defender of the Faith
Points: 12,809, Level: 73 Points: 12,809, Level: 73 Points: 12,809, Level: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
Uh, A. both of the above are actual Amiga OS-derived designs that are directly compatible with well-behaved Amiga software, so yes they do, and B. even if they didn't that wouldn't invalidate my point.

MorphOS is more a piece of software like WinUAE, it emulates (not as well as winuae) the AmigaOS on a piece of inferior hardware called an old obsolete mini MAC.

No argument there, though there's also Minimig and FPGA Arcade.

Don't really consider the Minimig as Amiga, you have to look at the hardware design, and Minimig has nothing to do with the design of the Amiga.

Uh, how do you figure that? There are multiple Amiga-derived projects put together by people in the community. C-OS just isn't one of them.
People in the Community are not Commodore or Amiga, they are just people trying to say that they are designing a new (actually old) Amiga computer. By this I mean, they are not using the latest in microprocessor technology to advance the Amiga, PPC is actually dead. The only one that I think will make it is AROS, they are at least trying to design something on newer tech.

Remember, when we first bought the Amiga when it first came out, it was the latest and greatest in tech. It could do stuff that no other computer at that time could do.

Today nothing can touch the PC, it has the best designers, the best hardware and the latest in technology, it would really be hard to beat the new PC's, and as long as you keep away from Microsoft software, the PC today is a really stable platform. It is just to bad that we can't persuade the Software companies to start producing software and games for other OS's like Linux. I consider Linux the new Amiga. It multitasks nicely, is very stable and during the past 10 years that I have been using it, I have lost no information stored on my computer. The only reason I use windows is to play the new modern day games. I wouldn't trust windows for my important data.

Jay Miner taught ahead, looking into the future, that is what made Amiga so great, at the time it came out it was the future.

smerf

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better
smerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #31
commodorejohn
VIP / Donor
Points: 11,260, Level: 70 Points: 11,260, Level: 70 Points: 11,260, Level: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerf View Post
People in the Community are not Commodore or Amiga, they are just people trying to say that they are designing a new (actually old) Amiga computer.
Who ever said they were? We were speaking of "Amiga-related." AROS and MorphOS are both Amiga-derived and (roughly) Amiga-compatible OSes, therefore they are Amiga-related. The question of their "officiality" is just nitpicking.

Quote:
Remember, when we first bought the Amiga when it first came out, it was the latest and greatest in tech. It could do stuff that no other computer at that time could do.
Oy, back to the tech-spec wankery...look, if you want to hitch your wagon to any machine whose specs make you wet yourself the most, that's your business, but that's utterly irrelevant to the question of whether something is Amiga-related or not.

Quote:
Today nothing can touch the PC, it has the best designers, the best hardware and the latest in technology, it would really be hard to beat the new PC's, and as long as you keep away from Microsoft software, the PC today is a really stable platform.
Actually, it has a wide swath of designers from a vast array of wildly disparate companies, some of whom are the best, some of whom are the worst, and many who are somewhere in between. It generally has the best consumer-level hardware, but its technology is a thirty-year series of kluges to a design that wasn't even all that forward-thinking by 1981 standards.

(And as for stability, I've seen far more core-dumps in Linux than I have BSODs in XP, and I've had far more exposure to XP, so it's not a matter of simply not having caught them. Just sayin'.)

Quote:
I consider Linux the new Amiga. It multitasks nicely, is very stable and during the past 10 years that I have been using it, I have lost no information stored on my computer.
That's lovely for you, then. But if we simply redefine "Amiga" to mean "whatever computer is the most popular at the moment," we are essentially making it a meaningless term.

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
commodorejohn is offline   Reply With Quote