amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:29 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Amiga computer related discussion General chat about Amiga topics winuae woes....

General chat about Amiga topics This forum is for conversations which are specifically "Amiga" related, but don't fit into other categories. Contents of this forum do appear on the main page, unlike Talk About. If a subject appears to be non-related, it will be moved to Talk About.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #81
haywirepc
Defender of the Faith
Points: 11,528, Level: 70 Points: 11,528, Level: 70 Points: 11,528, Level: 70
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Default Re: winuae woes....

New woes...

How do i rename the kickstart roms or whatever so whdload works? I am either missing some, or as I recall, some of them need to be renamed or copied.

Also, I left for 7 hours and left the os3.x screen up. There's no screen saver built in. Blanker as I recall just blanks. whats a good screen saver I can use instead?

Steven
haywirepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #82
Iggy
Energizer Bunny of Babble
Points: 16,270, Level: 81 Points: 16,270, Level: 81 Points: 16,270, Level: 81
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywirepc View Post
New woes...

How do i rename the kickstart roms or whatever so whdload works? I am either missing some, or as I recall, some of them need to be renamed or copied.

Also, I left for 7 hours and left the os3.x screen up. There's no screen saver built in. Blanker as I recall just blanks. whats a good screen saver I can use instead?

Steven
Why doesn't your PC screen saver kick in Steven?

BTW - I didn't notice before how close you are.

When I attend rock concerts I usually go to Philly.

Purchased a 1.8 GHz G5 PowerMac for now (and I have 2.3 PCI-E G5 PowerMac for future revisions of MorphOS).

Also I still have a 1.42 GHz iBook (with MorphOS 3.4).

Finally I still have an old A2000 for the days I'm into pain.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." - Benjamin Franklin

"I'm a hard worker." - George W. Bush

"Guess I'll have to change my way of livin..."

Kenny Downing is my God.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #83
mcb
Lifetime Member
Points: 7,931, Level: 59 Points: 7,931, Level: 59 Points: 7,931, Level: 59
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Send a message via Skype™ to mcb

Quote:
You don't need to, as WHDLoad-ready ROM and RTB files are included:

http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/15-120

Mike
mcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #84
haywirepc
Defender of the Faith

Don't these have to be copied into the os3.x install somewhere?

Iggy, Yes I'm in Philadelphia, right near center city...

Steven
Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #85
mcb
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Don't these have to be copied into the os3.x install somewhere?
They are preinstalled already (and so is WHDLoad), so there is no need to copy or rename. You can see the article linked to a few posts back for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused2 View Post
It would be kinda cool for them to add MorphOS, but i guess that is a paid OS
Paid or not paid, PowerPC or another CPU isn't really the issue. If the OS publisher/developer is open to distribution in Amiga Forever, and if there is an emulation engine that can be supported (e.g. PearPC), then anything is possible. Apple's Rosetta software demonstrated in 2006 that good PowerPC emulation on x86 is feasible. In the meantime Moore's law keeps working on the side of emulation. The RetroPlatform framework as used in Amiga Forever was written from the grounds up to interface with different emulation components, so having a 68K part and a PowerPC one is possible (although a hybrid might be more desirable).

The main limit I see is the small market. That's why our resources are so limited, and every customer, every word of support or piece of feedback, and even the occasional "sucks" post, can all make a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerf View Post
Another cool thing is if you have a game that you like playing like Elvira (5 disks) AF see's it and loads it in on a 4 drive set up. It then asks you to eject a disk and insert disk 5 on the 5th one, sometimes it does all 5 but I haven't figured out why. (I do come to amiga.org you know, so I really aren't that smart).
I am not sure about this. Given the Amiga limit of four floppy drives, I don't see how Amiga Forever could insert five disks at the same time. However, it could have used a hard disk to boot, while also using four non-bootable floppy disks in the respective drives. In any case, if the five (or more) disks are listed in the Media tab of the game's configuration (right-click the title and select Edit), then the disk images will be listed for easy insertion in the floppy drive menu (in the playback window).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Cloanto must want some of us more vocal posters to give their product a whirl (since they gave me a free copy a few days ago).
Yes, to the risk of encouraging more "Amiga Forever sucks" threads, I sent download links to some amiga.org friends who posted in this one thread. Feedback from actual users, especially highly proficient (and often critical) ones as seen here, is always welcome. The problem is when a "sucks" thread has little foundation in actual facts. That only hurts.

I believe that questions from previous posts have now been answered. If not, feel free to follow up, or to provide feedback. We've been working on this project for many years, and improving it is still a full-time job.

Mike
Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #86
haywirepc
Defender of the Faith

Oh I'm using the older version I think amiga forever 2009. I loaded a big whdload games collection. It keeps asking for different roms on some attempts to load games...

Maybe I can copy the folder from the 2012 install to my older xp install?

Steven
Old 04-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #87
haywirepc
Defender of the Faith

Also are there some usb joysticks that work well with aforever out of the box besides the competition pro usb?

I have an retroinc nes controller and I'm having a hard time getting the second button to work for some reason.

I used to have a competition pro usb (it broke and I tossed it), that worked with aforever right out of the box with both buttons. I suppose I should order another one?

Having a good time anyway with my new emulation station... But I'd have more fun if all the games loaded and the joystick worked for 2 button games.

Steven
Old 04-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #88
Lurch
Lifetime Member
Points: 15,475, Level: 80 Points: 15,475, Level: 80 Points: 15,475, Level: 80
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Send a message via MSN to Lurch

Got to try the latest thanks to MCB/Mike. Very good package all built around WinUAE really tightly.
Systems all listed and configured i.e. A500, Amikit etc.
I'm very impressed, stuck some photos in my gallery on here :-)
Old 04-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #89
Lurch
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Oh I'm using the older version I think amiga forever 2009. I loaded a big whdload games collection. It keeps asking for different roms on some attempts to load games...

Steven
The ROMS are all there it's just looking for a certain name. Happens with any WHDload game even on a real amiga.

Just need to copy the ROM into DHO : Devs/Kickstarts

Then name the ROM the same as the RTB file in that location
So for the Amiga 500 kick 1.2 you would name the ROM file kick33180.a500

Having said that haven't had that issue with Amiga Forever. Just worked straight out of the box, even my copy of 2009 :-)

Last edited by Lurch; 04-24-2012 at 12:55 AM..
Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:23 AM   #90
mcb
Lifetime Member

Quote:
After installation the WHDLoad ROMs are inside Amiga Files/Shared/dir/System/Devs/kickstarts. You can select Open Amiga Files from the Tools menu to access Amiga Files, which is inside your Documents on Windows.

As there are big differences in general usability and for power users between the 2012 version and any previous version, I'd encourage you to try and upgrade the existing installation (now that you have the links to the stand-alone SP3 and DirectX downloads). Just make a backup of the existing Amiga Files, in case you modified the default configurations.

I have to admit that I too started using Amiga Forever much more with the 2012 version. Before, complex configurations could only managed by using .uae files. But now I find it better with the Editor, which writes the changes as XML data into the RP9 manifest. It is easier, highly editable, and it takes into account portability and long-term stability.

Quote:
Also are there some usb joysticks that work well with aforever out of the box besides the competition pro usb?
Any Windows-compatible joystick should work. What is the second button supposed to do (it's not autofire, is it?), and can you tell me one game where it doesn't work (and what it should do)?

Mike
Old 04-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #91
mcb
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I'm very impressed, stuck some photos in my gallery on here :-)
Thanks for the gallery and the feedback there.

If you run Amiga Forever and select Check for Updates from the Help menu, and then install the update that was released today, does it automatically close the Amiga Forever player window?

The general rule is that if the update was invoked from inside the player, it should close the player.

The following is now unrelated, but I thought that it could be helpful to share with such an expert audience, as it involves the preservation of original Amiga configurations, which are often still stored on aging hard disks. Isn't this something that our friends sometimes ask us to help with? I too have all my former A3000 and other configurations imaged and accessible in Amiga Forever, inclusive of a recognizable preview screenshot. These articles link to free tools and step-by-step instructions for creating images from original disks, and using them in Amiga Forever:

Amiga SCSI and IDE Devices: Disk Image Files and Direct Access
http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/15-113

Referencing External Content in RP9 Files
http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/19-112

System Configuration Import Checklist
http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-132
Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #92
ral-clan
Defender of the Faith
Points: 15,818, Level: 80 Points: 15,818, Level: 80 Points: 15,818, Level: 80
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

I agree that the changes to Amiga Forever 2011-2012 were a game changer for me.

I use it a lot more now, with improvements and added ability to easily edit RP9 files.

The other great thing about the improved RP9 editing options is the ability to configure the emulation screen position and size. Before, I always would use UAE instead of RP9 when setting up games, because older versions of Amiga Forever would not size the game screen properly in fullscreen mode on my monitor.

The newer versions of Amiga Forever do this very well now, and I can tweak different screensize settings and save them in the RP9 - so all games look good now on my monitor.
ral-clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #93
Ami_GFX
Technoid
Points: 5,923, Level: 49 Points: 5,923, Level: 49 Points: 5,923, Level: 49

I got the PM with the link, downloaded it and gave it a brief run. I'm impressed. It is very well done and easy to use. It did mess with my existing Winuae installation a bit--changed the default paths to the Amiga Forever paths. I changed them back and now they seem to co-exist without affecting each other. It has no problems running on an older Centrino laptop with XP SP3. Runs fine in user mode with no issues so far. I'm not likely to use it exensively. I use real Amigas whenever I can and use Winuae when I want the convenience of a laptop or for doing CPU intensive image processing that would take forever on an 030 or 040 Amiga. Still, it's a nice gift and I'm happy to say that it is a class piece of software for anyone who wants the Amiga experience and doesn't want to mess with real Amiga hardware or take the time to put a Winuae system together from all the different pieces it requires.
Ami_GFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #94
mcb
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami_GFX View Post
It is very well done and easy to use. It did mess with my existing Winuae installation a bit--changed the default paths to the Amiga Forever paths. I changed them back and now they seem to co-exist without affecting each other.
Thanks for the post. Amiga Forever does not write to the WinUAE registry or other settings files. Perhaps what happened in your case is the opposite: WinUAE, not being configured otherwise, autodetected "Amiga Files", so it started looking there? Then, as soon as you set WinUAE to a specific path, it followed your preference.

Mike
Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #95
Lurch
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb View Post

If you run Amiga Forever and select Check for Updates from the Help menu, and then install the update that was released today, does it automatically close the Amiga Forever player window?
Yep that works fine, just had that issue during the install :-) Really enjoying the product :-)