amiga.org
     
iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Amiga computer related discussion Recommended Amiga Dealers AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

Recommended Amiga Dealers This forum exists to allow Amiga.org members to share their positive experiences with Amiga dealers so that others might get a better feel for the various dealers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
amigadave
Lifetime Member
Points: 22,348, Level: 92 Points: 22,348, Level: 92 Points: 22,348, Level: 92
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
amigadave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake, CA
Posts: 3,554
Talking AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

My First Contact AmigaOne X1000 arrived a couple days ago, after a delay due to FedEX not following the proper Customs Clearance procedures, which resulted in them shipping my X1000 back and forth between California and Tennessee, which might be the reason that so much damage was inflicted upon my package. (I guess all those YouTube videos about FedEX drivers and employees trashing people's packages are true)

AmigaKit's owner, Matthew Leaman knew about the delay due to the improper Customs Clearance processing, before I did, which just goes to show how committed he is to knowing what is going on with his shipments.

My X1000 was damaged pretty bad, even though AmigaKit had done an excellent job of trying to protect it. I could find no fault with their packaging materials or methods and I seriously doubt that any package could have survived the forces exerted upon my X1000 package by the FedEX gorillas. It literally looked like they had dropped it from the plane as they flew over and then dragged it behind the truck, instead of putting it inside for the delivery.

Again AmigaKit was on top of the situation and responded immediately to correct the situation and handle the claim with FedEX.

I cannot praise them too much for their efforts and would recommend them to everyone as the best retailer/dealer I have ever had the pleasure to do business with. Not just in the area of Amiga items, but the best of any retailer/dealer of any product I have ever done business with.

Luckily my X1000 still works and I have been able to test it for a little while (I can't currently sit at a desk for more than a few minutes each day). I am pleased to report that it is better than I had imagined. I am sure I will find it's limitations as I use it more, but it is very Amiga-Like and brings back memories of earlier days, when I was first learning how to use my A1000 in 1987.

Since this is my first OS4.x computer, I have lots to learn, but from my initial impressions, it is going to be a fun experience and I can easily recommend to anyone sitting on the fence about buying an X1000 computer, don't hesitate. When the next production run of the X1000 is announced and if AmigaKit sets up another pre-purchase registration to create a list of buyers for the next production run, don't hesitate to jump in and get on that list. This is a great system for running OS4.1.5, so if that is what you want to run, why not do it on the best available hardware made just for that purpose?

The X1000 is not for everyone, and I understand all the arguments of the critics that would never consider buying one of them, but for the rest of us that understand what it is and what it was created for, I say go for it and enjoy the ride. You can't get better support and treatment than AmigaKit provides and you can't get a better computer to run OS4.1.5 on.

As Trevor puts it, "Let's keep this party going"!

Edit: If you are an AmigaOne X1000 beta-tester, or just another X1000 owner, please add your comments to this thread about your impressions of AmigaKit and your own X1000 experiences.
__________________
How are you helping the Amiga community?

Last edited by amigadave; 02-19-2012 at 03:05 PM..
amigadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Argo
Forums Moderator
Points: 18,179, Level: 85 Points: 18,179, Level: 85 Points: 18,179, Level: 85
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,219
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

At least it is crash tested!
Glad it still works.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
AmigaClassicRule
Cult Member
Points: 7,492, Level: 57 Points: 7,492, Level: 57 Points: 7,492, Level: 57
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 953
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

Amigakit IS THE BEST ONLINE STORE ON PLANET EARTH! IF THEY ALSO SELL PC PARTS, XBOX360, CLOTH, FOOD ETC, I will ONLY BUY FROM THAT STORE becuase that is the best store ever and the ultimate excellent service in my experience in the world!!!
AmigaClassicRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
smerf
Defender of the Faith
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
 
smerf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pennsyltucky, USA
Posts: 1,600
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

Hi,

All I have to say is I agree with everyone else above.

My pancake is tipped to Amigakit.

smerf
__________________
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better
smerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Darrin
Lifetime Member
Points: 20,321, Level: 89 Points: 20,321, Level: 89 Points: 20,321, Level: 89
Activity: 76% Activity: 76% Activity: 76%
 
Darrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana
Posts: 4,372
Send a message via AIM to Darrin Send a message via Yahoo to Darrin
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

I called in and visited them before Xmas while I was back in Wales. Great guys and 100% Amiga enthusiasts.

I think I might go over again in person to collect my X1000. I don't want a repeat of Dave's experience!
__________________
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
actung_bab
Cult Member
Points: 6,503, Level: 52 Points: 6,503, Level: 52 Points: 6,503, Level: 52
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
 
actung_bab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 650
Send a message via ICQ to actung_bab
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigadave View Post
My First Contact AmigaOne X1000 arrived a couple days ago, after a delay due to FedEX not following the proper Customs Clearance procedures, which resulted in them shipping my X1000 back and forth between California and Tennessee, which might be the reason that so much damage was inflicted upon my package. (I guess all those YouTube videos about FedEX drivers and employees trashing people's packages are true)

AmigaKit's owner, Matthew Leaman knew about the delay due to the improper Customs Clearance processing, before I did, which just goes to show how committed he is to knowing what is going on with his shipments.

My X1000 was damaged pretty bad, even though AmigaKit had done an excellent job of trying to protect it. I could find no fault with their packaging materials or methods and I seriously doubt that any package could have survived the forces exerted upon my X1000 package by the FedEX gorillas. It literally looked like they had dropped it from the plane as they flew over and then dragged it behind the truck, instead of putting it inside for the delivery.

Again AmigaKit was on top of the situation and responded immediately to correct the situation and handle the claim with FedEX.

I cannot praise them too much for their efforts and would recommend them to everyone as the best retailer/dealer I have ever had the pleasure to do business with. Not just in the area of Amiga items, but the best of any retailer/dealer of any product I have ever done business with.

Luckily my X1000 still works and I have been able to test it for a little while (I can't currently sit at a desk for more than a few minutes each day). I am pleased to report that it is better than I had imagined. I am sure I will find it's limitations as I use it more, but it is very Amiga-Like and brings back memories of earlier days, when I was first learning how to use my A1000 in 1987.

Since this is my first OS4.x computer, I have lots to learn, but from my initial impressions, it is going to be a fun experience and I can easily recommend to anyone sitting on the fence about buying an X1000 computer, don't hesitate. When the next production run of the X1000 is announced and if AmigaKit sets up another pre-purchase registration to create a list of buyers for the next production run, don't hesitate to jump in and get on that list. This is a great system for running OS4.1.5, so if that is what you want to run, why not do it on the best available hardware made just for that purpose?

The X1000 is not for everyone, and I understand all the arguments of the critics that would never consider buying one of them, but for the rest of us that understand what it is and what it was created for, I say go for it and enjoy the ride. You can't get better support and treatment than AmigaKit provides and you can't get a better computer to run OS4.1.5 on.

As Trevor puts it, "Let's keep this party going"!

Edit: If you are an AmigaOne X1000 beta-tester, or just another X1000 owner, please add your comments to this thread about your impressions of AmigaKit and your own X1000 experiences.
Well good news got to use you amiga x1000 gee guy utube got dent in his case as well
Whats this targeting amiga products disgruntled mac owners i suspect
There been through the tough times its good support loyalty with well buying stuff
Got my order in in modest way power switch hehe
__________________
Acthung baby
telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4 port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_10587.jpg[/url]
actung_bab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
amigadave
Lifetime Member
Points: 22,348, Level: 92 Points: 22,348, Level: 92 Points: 22,348, Level: 92
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
amigadave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake, CA
Posts: 3,554
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

@Darrin,

Not a bad idea, but extreme shipping cost if you do it that way.

If you are an OS4 user, I do not see how you could be disappointed with the performance of the X1000. (unless you are expecting something unrealistic from it before it arrives.)

I am posting this from my X1000 using OWB (MUI version). Looks very familiar to Fabs excellent Odyssey for MorphOS that it is ported from. Glad Fab and others worked together on this fine browser for OS4, and hoping that more software cooperation happens so the same software can be enjoyed on either OS4, or MorphOS, or AROS (maybe even some of them on AmigaOS3.9 when it is running on a fast Natami system, or UAE on fast hardware).
__________________
How are you helping the Amiga community?
amigadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
Darrin
Lifetime Member
Points: 20,321, Level: 89 Points: 20,321, Level: 89 Points: 20,321, Level: 89
Activity: 76% Activity: 76% Activity: 76%
 
Darrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana
Posts: 4,372
Send a message via AIM to Darrin Send a message via Yahoo to Darrin
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigadave View Post
@Darrin,

Not a bad idea, but extreme shipping cost if you do it that way.

If you are an OS4 user, I do not see how you could be disappointed with the performance of the X1000. (unless you are expecting something unrealistic from it before it arrives.)

I am posting this from my X1000 using OWB (MUI version). Looks very familiar to Fabs excellent Odyssey for MorphOS that it is ported from. Glad Fab and others worked together on this fine browser for OS4, and hoping that more software cooperation happens so the same software can be enjoyed on either OS4, or MorphOS, or AROS (maybe even some of them on AmigaOS3.9 when it is running on a fast Natami system, or UAE on fast hardware).
Damn, I want one so bad. They demoed a SAM for me while I was there and I was drooling. It was tempting to go for the SAM, but I want the X1000. It reminds me back when I first got an Amiga and I had to decide between an A500 and an A2000. I spent the extra, got the A2000 and never regretted it.

Besides, if I go back to the UK to collect it I usually attend a couple of soccer and rugby games too.
__________________
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
kedawa
Cult Member
Points: 8,249, Level: 61 Points: 8,249, Level: 61 Points: 8,249, Level: 61
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
 
kedawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 700
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigadave View Post
The X1000 is not for everyone, and I understand all the arguments of the critics that would never consider buying one of them, but for the rest of us that understand what it is and what it was created for, I say go for it and enjoy the ride.
Are you saying that those who don't find the X1000 worthwhile don't "understand what it is and what it was created for"?
kedawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #10
amigadave
Lifetime Member
Points: 22,348, Level: 92 Points: 22,348, Level: 92 Points: 22,348, Level: 92
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
amigadave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake, CA
Posts: 3,554
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
Are you saying that those who don't find the X1000 worthwhile don't "understand what it is and what it was created for"?
No, I am saying that the people that understand what it is and what it was created for, and decide to buy one, don't care about all the criticism and insults that are posted on this and other forum sites.

It is the best choice for doing what it was intended to do at this point in time. It is the fastest computer for running OS4, so if you want to run OS4 fast, then this is the computer to buy, if you can afford it and if you can get past all the criticism and negative comments about price, or performance compared to modern computers, etc.

Just because some people don't agree that it is worth the price to buy it, does not make the people who disagree with them and do buy it wrong.

I don't hear any of the X1000 buyers complaining about the price they paid. I own 5 computers with registered MorphOS keyfiles and know how little I paid for each of those computers systems. I also know some of the advantages that MorphOS currently has in performance and features that are currently missing in OS4.1.5, but none of those factors made any difference in my decision to buy an X1000 and I don't regret my decision one bit.

Like I said, the X1000 is not for everyone (meaning that not everyone will want one as they prefer to spend their money on other things), and OS4 is not for everyone either, as it has limitations that are being worked on and it might never become anything other than a hobby OS for a few users that like it. I could say the exact same things about used Mac G4 hardware and MorphOS, or x86 hardware and AROS. We are all different and value different things. I happen to like all things related to the original Commodore Amiga computers.
__________________
How are you helping the Amiga community?
amigadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
save2600
Premium Member
Points: 19,119, Level: 87 Points: 19,119, Level: 87 Points: 19,119, Level: 87
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southern, WI USA
Posts: 3,097
Send a message via Yahoo to save2600
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

Sounds like it's long overdue that Amigakit uses a different shipper. I cannot stand FedEx today and will no longer have anything delicate shipped by them.
__________________
Cash paid or will trade for loose and CIB Amiga games I need. Game manuals and boxes only too! Will purchase in large lots as well.
save2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
amigadave
Lifetime Member
Points: 22,348, Level: 92 Points: 22,348, Level: 92 Points: 22,348, Level: 92
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
amigadave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Big Bear Lake, CA
Posts: 3,554
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by save2600 View Post
Sounds like it's long overdue that Amigakit uses a different shipper. I cannot stand FedEx today and will no longer have anything delicate shipped by them.
Actually, AmigaKit has had very good luck with FedEX shipments for several years. These two recent reports of damage are a rarity for them.
__________________
How are you helping the Amiga community?
amigadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
klx300r
Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
Points: 10,841, Level: 68 Points: 10,841, Level: 68 Points: 10,841, Level: 68
Activity: 58% Activity: 58% Activity: 58%
 
klx300r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,894
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigadave View Post
Actually, AmigaKit has had very good luck with FedEX shipments for several years. These two recent reports of damage are a rarity for them.
I must admit that I have never had a problem with FedEx and various deliveries from Amigakit over the years including my X1000 and agree that the recent X1000 systems damaged to the States are an unfortunate rarity.
__________________
__________________________________________________ __________________
c64-dual sids, A1000, A1200-060@50
Indivision AGA & Catweasel MK4+= Amazing
! My Master Miggies-Amiga 1000 & AmigaOne X1000 !
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
-AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE ***
klx300r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
kedawa
Cult Member
Points: 8,249, Level: 61 Points: 8,249, Level: 61 Points: 8,249, Level: 61
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
 
kedawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 700
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigadave View Post
I happen to like all things related to the original Commodore Amiga computers.
Enjoy!
kedawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
actung_bab
Cult Member
Points: 6,503, Level: 52 Points: 6,503, Level: 52 Points: 6,503, Level: 52
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
 
actung_bab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 650
Send a message via ICQ to actung_bab
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

totally argee 100 % get the machine you want to keep for next 10 years
hay work that out not to bad a buy really you get 10 years plus out your hobby great.
Why settle for less when can have the best thats currently avaible know chould run morphos be even better choice is good
__________________
Acthung baby
telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4 port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_10587.jpg[/url]
actung_bab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #16
actung_bab
Cult Member
Points: 6,503, Level: 52 Points: 6,503, Level: 52 Points: 6,503, Level: 52
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
 
actung_bab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 650
Send a message via ICQ to actung_bab
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

yes i got things from usa recently ups and chouldint agree more my motobike parts arrived fine and that accross the world down here to little new zealand

Got say am really impressed with there system fast efficent you can track whats not to like
__________________
Acthung baby
telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4 port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_10587.jpg[/url]
actung_bab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
AmigaClassicRule
Cult Member
Points: 7,492, Level: 57 Points: 7,492, Level: 57 Points: 7,492, Level: 57
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 953
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

Why is it when he buys an OS 4.1 machine you guys are all "Yeah man! Go for it man! It is a great machine man!" But when I want to buy it, you guys convince me not too?
AmigaClassicRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
tone007
sad moaning faced git
Points: 14,962, Level: 79 Points: 14,962, Level: 79 Points: 14,962, Level: 79
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
 
tone007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 3,209
Send a message via AIM to tone007
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

Probably because you were intending to attempt replacing your PC with it, which would only end in disappointment.

OS4.1 is a nice toy, but I personally couldn't use it as a daily use OS, and rid myself of my OS4.1 machine months ago.
__________________
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever
tone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #19
Kesa
Ninja Fruit Slasher
Points: 13,663, Level: 76 Points: 13,663, Level: 76 Points: 13,663, Level: 76
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
 
Kesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Princess Castle
Posts: 2,383
Blog Entries: 4
Lightbulb Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

No, it's because you smell and no one likes you!
__________________
Even my cat doesn't like me.
Kesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
AmigaClassicRule
Cult Member
Points: 7,492, Level: 57 Points: 7,492, Level: 57 Points: 7,492, Level: 57
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 953
Default Re: AmigaKit - Above all the rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesa View Post
No, it's because you smell and no one likes you!
That explains a lot!!!

* goes to the washroom and takes a shower *
AmigaClassicRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
amigakit , rest

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump