amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Amiga computer related discussion Amiga Hardware Issues and discussion Emplant on A2000

Amiga Hardware Issues and discussion This forum is dedicated to the discussion and resolution of issues related to Classic and Next Generation Amiga hardware. Got a problem with a piece of hardware? Click to speak.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
desantii
Amiga Addict!
Points: 5,791, Level: 49 Points: 5,791, Level: 49 Points: 5,791, Level: 49
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Default Emplant on A2000

Ok, so I will be getting an emplant board hopefully in a day or 2. I have a Mac 256k rom image, does it need any special naming convention as it was not ripped directly throuh the emplant board?

I also purchaed aset of system 7 disks, will those work directly with the emplant? thanks

Amiga 4000/060 Cyberstorm MKI

Amiga 500+ 2mb chip ram
desantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
desiv
Defender of the Faith
Points: 6,191, Level: 51 Points: 6,191, Level: 51 Points: 6,191, Level: 51
Activity: 64% Activity: 64% Activity: 64%

Default Re: Emplant on A2000

Does Emplant use ROM images or does it expect you to plug in the ROMs??
My old A-Max wants the ROMs plugged in..

(Yes, I know there is a cracked version of A-Max (Emplant too or does it need it?) with the ROMs in software, but I'm talking about using the original hardware..)

desiv
desiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Motormouth
Technoid
Points: 7,748, Level: 58 Points: 7,748, Level: 58 Points: 7,748, Level: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by desantii View Post
Ok, so I will be getting an emplant board hopefully in a day or 2. I have a Mac 256k rom image, does it need any special naming convention as it was not ripped directly throuh the emplant board?

I also purchaed aset of system 7 disks, will those work directly with the emplant? thanks
I am assuming you want to use the emplant in the amiga on the bottom of the thread: Amiga 2000, 030 55mhz, 26mb ram, Indivision ECS, Megachip

First, you probably want a 68030 rom: I would suggest one of the 512k rom images for the 030.
Cammy has a good shapeshifter thread. It will explain exactly which rom to use.

Second, do you have a high density floppy drive in your amiga? If you do not, you may not be able to read the system 7 disks. Most were HD format at that point. Are you going to be using Emplant or Emplant pro software with the emplant board? . I remembering having trouble having the Disk reading issues with the emplant (I had/have an A3000 with an HD floppy). I eventually was able to get it working, but don't remember how (CrossMac perhaps?)

I would suggest using a cd-rom drive with 7.5.x upto 7.6.1 (again in Cammy's thread). I remember having to use a mac program called silverlining to format the mac's scsi hard drive so it could autoboot, the older macs haved a separate "Mac" chip on them so you could not just buy any old scsi hard drive, but one from apple. Silverlining emulates that "mac" chip. (I was using a separate dedicated hard drive on the emplant scsi bus).

There is also Fusion "same software writer as emplant (pro)" that can optionally use the emplant board timing sequences, and shapeshifter (doesn't use emplant at all.)

Which verison of the Emplant do you have/are getting?
They came in three options: one with appletalk serial port, one with a scsi controller, and one with both serial and scsi. There was also an upgrade to allow 586 emulation (the AMD/Intel instructions work well but was extremely slow).

Most people find the emplant board a bit useless especially with shapeshifter out there for free, but is does have a couple uses.
One is to download roms (not a big deal since this can be done with software on a mac),
two is for better timing (Fusion seemed to work more stably for me with the emplant timing rather than amiga chipset timing, not used in shapeshifter),
three serial appletalk (I heavily used this in an appletalk network with some real macs with Fusion software),
four the scsi (this is a not booting scsi, 53c80 same chip as dataflyer),
five the emplant board can be hardware hacked to used mac audio (I did this to mine).

I currently use Fusion (which I like) for mac emulation in my A3000/040. I also suggest Cammy's thread about shapeshifter, it is very good even for other mac emulation programs.

Last edited by Motormouth; 08-01-2011 at 09:15 PM..
Motormouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
desantii
Amiga Addict!
Points: 5,791, Level: 49 Points: 5,791, Level: 49 Points: 5,791, Level: 49

I will look into Cammy's thread thanks

Amiga 4000/060 Cyberstorm MKI

Amiga 500+ 2mb chip ram
desantii is offline   Reply With Quote