amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Amiga computer related discussion General chat about Amiga topics RTG to native screen modes?

General chat about Amiga topics This forum is for conversations which are specifically "Amiga" related, but don't fit into other categories. Contents of this forum do appear on the main page, unlike Talk About. If a subject appears to be non-related, it will be moved to Talk About.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
haywirepc
Defender of the Faith
Points: 11,763, Level: 71 Points: 11,763, Level: 71 Points: 11,763, Level: 71
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Default RTG to native screen modes?

I am using e-uae on linux with picasso rt graphics enabled at 1024x768.

I was trying to load some demos from disk I copied over to this install of os3.x...

When I start demos, I hear sound but I suppose it does not switch to the screen the demo is playing on, which I assume is a native screen.

Is there a way to switch to the other screen, or do I have to start the demos/games and everything that uses native screens from a native screened wb?

Hope this makes sense. I think this works fine on winuae, but I could be wrong. Seems strange to me that the system dosn't know to switch to the screen the application wants.

Steven
haywirepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
fishy_fiz
Defender of the Faith
Points: 14,692, Level: 78 Points: 14,692, Level: 78 Points: 14,692, Level: 78
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Default Re: RTG to native screen modes?

It should automatically switch, the demo code itself should see to that. If it doesnt it's most likely a problem with UAE itself. Have you tried launching the demos from a custom chipset based screenmode ? Not saying whether it'll help or not, but will give you a few more clues as to what's wrong.
fishy_fiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
haywirepc
Defender of the Faith

If I go to prefs, modify the screen setting to be ntsc high res then launch the demos they work.

In other words, if I launch stuff on native screens, everything works.

Its like the system dosn't know to switch from the rtg screen to native modes. This is e-uae on linux 0.8.29 if that matters...

Steven
Old 01-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
runequester
It's Amiga time!
Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96 Points: 25,611, Level: 96
Activity: 96% Activity: 96% Activity: 96%

I recall having a similar issue. This is probably a dumb question, but on native hardware, does it know to switch between RTG and non RTG on the fly?

I blog..a lot.
http://doctorwhoretrospec.blogspot.com/
http://redleftperspective.blogspot.com/
http://theamigablog.blogspot.com/
runequester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
haywirepc
Defender of the Faith

Thats a good question. I don't know because I never had a rtg card. I run in 64 colors on my a1200 in aga screenmodes.

I just checked, and on winuae on my amigasys install, it works fine, switching and loading the demos properly on whatever screen they start on. Then it goes back to your picasso desktop.

Also perhaps of relevance, on my linux install I am just using the amiga os 3.x install from amiga forever, since amikit/amigasys are a bit tricky to install on linux.

Steven
Old 01-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
fishy_fiz
Defender of the Faith
Points: 14,692, Level: 78 Points: 14,692, Level: 78 Points: 14,692, Level: 78
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

I can only assume it's an E-UAE issue then. It should just switch over on the fly (in answer to the question, yes it does on real hardware), even with E-UAE (I say this from my own experiences with AROS e-uae). I cant really offer any suggestions as how to redeem it though. Have you compiled it yourself, or are you using a precompiled binary ? UAE can me temperamental at times though, even Winuae. It usually works pretty well, but sometimes it can be quirky. I currently have a weird Winuae problem where I only get a display when running on my t.v. (secondary display).

Last edited by fishy_fiz; 01-23-2011 at 11:15 PM..
fishy_fiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
haywirepc
Defender of the Faith

I'm using the pre-compiled binary that comes with amikit. Amikit won't install... Dosn't like my legally purchased amiga forever cd apparently...

But e-uae installs, so I just copied over amiga forever system and work directories... On winuae, this works fine... So your right must be an e-uae issue..

Still sucks, no nice virtual amiga on my linux pc, but I may try again with amikit because I bet if amikit installs it would work right...

Steven