amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Amiga computer related discussion Amiga News and Community Announcements Amiga Hardware News Market research for new PowerPC system

Amiga Hardware News This is the news feed forum for Amiga related Hardware news and announcements.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #81
tonyyeb
Cult Member
Points: 4,725, Level: 43 Points: 4,725, Level: 43 Points: 4,725, Level: 43
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
Default Re: Market research for new PowerPC system

Quote:
Originally Posted by markos View Post
I don't remember myseflf asking for preorders or paying without trying. When it's out, I'll send a few boards to reviewers, you can make your decision afterwards.
Can I try before I buy?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #82
zylesea
Cult Member
Points: 8,063, Level: 60 Points: 8,063, Level: 60 Points: 8,063, Level: 60
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

@ persia
First you complain aboit the sense of a ppc board and then you complaina bout the lack of a ppc emulator for generic x86 pcs to run OS4 or MorphOS on. Somehow kind of schizophenic...
Listen: MorphOS and AOS4 are ppc only due to endian incompatibility on x86. Thus we are bound to ppc (okay, ARM offer also big endian). Like it or dislike it, but if you wnat to run said OSes you need a ppc board. Therefor it makes some pretty sense to have ppc hardware available. And c'mon, about 500 EUR for a hobbysytem that has convenient computing power for this niche OSes isn't really an issue i'd say. You probably buy an Amigaish system once in 5 yrs (my Pegasos is from 2002, 7 years old now), that's less than 10EUR per month.
And my Peg does things my Mac or PC don't do and vice versa. All systems have their place and not every place needs maximum power. And one thing is for sure: neither my Mac, nor my PC, nor my netbook provide the fun my Peg actually does.
And btw.: the 8610 has some nice power, not as an i7, but don't underestimate it.
zylesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #83
persia
Banned
Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

I probably will never try OS4 or Morphos becuase of the rediculous pricing of PPC boards. They're both unknowns, if they ran on affordable or standard hardware I'd be more inclined to try them. Realistically in 2009 you shouldn't have to buy hardware to try something anyway, Haiku runs beatifully in Fusion on my Mac.
persia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:17 AM   #84
tonyyeb
Cult Member
Points: 4,725, Level: 43 Points: 4,725, Level: 43 Points: 4,725, Level: 43

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by persia View Post
I probably will never try OS4 or Morphos becuase of the rediculous pricing of PPC boards. They're both unknowns, if they ran on affordable or standard hardware I'd be more inclined to try them. Realistically in 2009 you shouldn't have to buy hardware to try something anyway, Haiku runs beatifully in Fusion on my Mac.
Totally agree. Computers are a bit of a hobby for me whilst software development is my job. I don't spend a lot on computers and when I do they last me a fair bit of time. A PPC board would be nice to 'play' with but I don't think I can afford to be playing with something.

If people want PPC stuff to be taken seriously again then it needs to be mainstream with mainstream pricing. Otherwise it will be a 500 run of that board and a 1000 run of that board making it harder for developers to support varying platforms.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #85
markos
Merely Curious
Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

More updates here:

http://www.codex.gr/index.php?pageID=&blogItem=64
markos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #86
pault1
Beginner
Points: 2,331, Level: 29 Points: 2,331, Level: 29 Points: 2,331, Level: 29

Cool Re: Market research for new PowerPC system

Quote:
Originally Posted by recidivist View Post

Amigans just might be the Amish of computing, except with poorer manners.
EXCELLENT! This is the quote of the quarter at least. That ranks right up there with,
"Amiga is like a Zombie," said one poster in response. "Commodore killed it, Escom killed it ... and Gateway killed it. Still, it shambles on." (Usenet posting) To which I might add, "...and Amiga Inc. is standing on its chest."
pault1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #87
sgrddy
Merely Curious
Points: 2,141, Level: 27 Points: 2,141, Level: 27 Points: 2,141, Level: 27
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

How about the Cell? Surely, especially the newer ones, must be fast enough to handle most desktop work.

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pr...ease/24180.wss

The Cell excels are certain tasks.

Last edited by sgrddy; 11-10-2009 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Added link
sgrddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 AM   #88
markos
Merely Curious
Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Final results about the market research here:

http://www.codex.gr/index.php?pageID=&blogItem=100

Quote from the blog -the interesting part-:

Quote:
... Actually, I just thought of an idea, there is another way that we might build a nice ppc board, but I think it will find even less interest: open-source hardware, donation based. Say, we do a bounty -or what even its legal term is- and each of us, donates an amount, until we reach the desirable amount. If we could get 500 people to donate 100e each -or more in some cases- we might reach the goal to design the board. Since the board design would be open, anyone could then produce it. If the goal is not reached in a specific amount of time, everyone gets their money back -or we leave it open until the money is raised. So, what say you all? It's the last thing that can be done I think. So, if you are really interested in the idea, please say so, if enough people second this, I'm sure something could be arranged.
COMMENT: The nice thing with that approach, is that the end design will be open. If the amount of people does not reach critical mass for a mass production -eg. 500- there might still be a few (100 or even less) people that may go for a small production scale and get the board of their dreams, albeit a bit more expensive! And if I would decide to drop out of the project for whatever reason, the design would be open for anyone to continue development on it. Actually, I wonder why didn't I think of that scheme before...

Last edited by markos; 11-11-2009 at 03:43 AM..
markos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #89
Amiga_Nut
Cult Member
Points: 10,816, Level: 68 Points: 10,816, Level: 68 Points: 10,816, Level: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyLucke View Post
I don't think PPC is dead at all... IBM made a lot of money selling PPC based servers, and it still make money with that... Power 7 is around the bend, and it will catch up with Intel and AMD again. PPC's are cheaper to produce than any X86 architecture...

EVEN, XBOX360, Wii and PS3 do use PPC, and that's nothing new. I bet they will be using PPC still on their next gen consoles. So PPC is not dead at all. If you don't like "fresh air" on the PPC scene, just stick up with windoze and the X86 %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!.
PS3 uses the Cell processor which is highly unsuitable for an OS, it's really not going to excel in that environment. The 360s CPU is a good choice though, as obviously there is a huge volume being produced...however when the 360 is canned in 2010/11 what then? Back to expensive CPU costs for us all.

End of the day it would be nice to have something else to run OS4 on, but even then it's not a real Amiga with custom chips with ladies names lol.

One thing to remember is...Windows <> x86 ....the fact Windows runs on 95% of x86 machines AND IS A PoS is not the fault of x86. A top end i7 based PC is a very powerful piece of technology....until you put Vista or worse still that amateur hour looking Win7 crap on there that is...THEN it becomes a PoS holistically speaking

PS There is nothing stopping Amiga Inc porting OS4 to x86....apart from their own lack of vision and incompetence that is haha
Amiga_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:35 AM   #90
persia
Banned
Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Yes, X86 is a logical choice based on available hardware. But AmigaOS is a closed source OS with a handful of people working on it, the market is small, it's not a general interest OS. There's no audience of millions waiting for the Amiga line, there might have been in 1995, but they've long since left the station. AROS and Anubis have taught us that.

It 's us and a handful of retro enthusiasts that might join us. That means they for the most part are willing to pay a premium. So why bother porting to X86?
persia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #91
sgrddy
Merely Curious
Points: 2,141, Level: 27 Points: 2,141, Level: 27 Points: 2,141, Level: 27
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga_Nut View Post
PS3 uses the Cell processor which is highly unsuitable for an OS, it's really not going to excel in that environment.
Certainly even the older Cell is much faster than 1Ghz PPC chips.
sgrddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #92
Amiga_Nut
Cult Member
Points: 10,816, Level: 68 Points: 10,816, Level: 68 Points: 10,816, Level: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrddy View Post
Certainly even the older Cell is much faster than 1Ghz PPC chips.
It's not a case of performance, the SPEs in the CELL are nowhere near as feature rich as the cores in multicore PPC or x86 CPUs. It's a very unsuitable CPU for running a media rich OS that you would want today. Very inflexible in that environment, great for games coding though if you know what you are doing.
Amiga_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote