amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:20 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Amiga computer related discussion Amiga Software Issues and Discussion Prep an Amiga SCSI HDD on an older Mac?

Amiga Software Issues and Discussion This forum exists for the discussion of the use, issues with, and fun brought about by classic and next generation Amiga software.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
Huxley_D
Hobbyist
Points: 1,240, Level: 19 Points: 1,240, Level: 19 Points: 1,240, Level: 19
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Default Prep an Amiga SCSI HDD on an older Mac?

Hi gang! Forgive me if this belongs in the hardware forum - you could make the argument either way...

So, I've got an Amiga 2000 with a GVP SCSI board. The board already has a ~60 meg HDD on it, loaded with apps, games, etc., which is pretty cool. However, I'm new to the platform and would like to have a "vanilla" OS install to learn on. I've got a ton of old sub-1gb SCSI drives around (I've got an extensive vintage Mac collection), and a number of old-school SCSI-equipped Macs. Would it possible to "prep" a SCSI drive on a retro Mac for use in the A2000? By "prep" I mean format, load an OS image, etc.

Heck, for that matter, could I just use an external SCSI drive (HDD, Zip, whatever) as a go-between from the old Mac to the A2000 to get access to more (downloaded) software?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this question!

Huxley
Huxley_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
Jope
Defender of the Faith
Points: 10,666, Level: 68 Points: 10,666, Level: 68 Points: 10,666, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Default Re: Prep an Amiga SCSI HDD on an older Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley_D View Post
Would it possible to "prep" a SCSI drive on a retro Mac for use in the A2000? By "prep" I mean format, load an OS image, etc.
Only if you write the software to do that yourself. So probably no.

Especially installing the OS really requires an Amiga emulator, even though it is possible to just copy the files over without using the installer.

Anyway, you would need software to extract the files from the ADFs and write them to your HD.

Quote:
Heck, for that matter, could I just use an external SCSI drive (HDD, Zip, whatever) as a go-between from the old Mac to the A2000 to get access to more (downloaded) software?
If you install CrossMac on the Amiga, you should be able to read Mac formatted Zip disks.
Jope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Huxley_D
Hobbyist
Points: 1,240, Level: 19 Points: 1,240, Level: 19 Points: 1,240, Level: 19
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Default Re: Prep an Amiga SCSI HDD on an older Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
If you install CrossMac on the Amiga, you should be able to read Mac formatted Zip disks.
I guess the question I'm really facing is how to get downloaded programs from a Mac (or PC - I have access to both) onto the Amiga in the first place. When I was fixing up my Apple IIGS I was able to use the awesome ADTPro software to transfer data over a serial cable. Maybe there's a way to accomplish something similar between a more modern machine and the A2000?

Huxley

PS In the long run I'll be scoping online for an Amiga-friendly ethernet card!
Huxley_D is offline   Reply With Quote