amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:57 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Amiga computer related discussion Amiga Marketplace FS on ebay - DPS PAR!!!

Amiga Marketplace This forum is here so that members can alert other members to Amiga items they've seen on eBay (or other auctions). If you are selling Amiga items on eBay, you might let us know about them here. Likewise, if you're selling Amiga items sans eBay, this is the "for sale" forum.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
sprocket
Technoid
Points: 11,039, Level: 69 Points: 11,039, Level: 69 Points: 11,039, Level: 69
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Default FS on ebay - DPS PAR!!!

Good card for recording animations & sequences of files.

Video capture if you've got a DPS TBC IV, process sequences and playback in real time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300267269150

These seem to be getting kind of rare and are a good an inexpensive option for an Amiga with Zorro slots.

thanks for your interest.

-- Sprocket...
sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
tabuhuso
Too much caffeine
Points: 4,788, Level: 44 Points: 4,788, Level: 44 Points: 4,788, Level: 44
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Default Re: FS on ebay - DPS PAR!!!

my idea,newtek toaster+flyer more best combination for capturing...
Old 10-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
sprocket
Technoid

Quote:
my idea,newtek toaster+flyer more best combination for capturing...
I'll be listing some Toaster stuff also if you're interested.

(The Toaster/Flyer is a good choice but is often going to cost more. The Macrosystems Vlab Motion will also do that. I had one of those years ago also.)

At the moment, I'm posting for those who may be interested in having an inexpensive way to output their animations.

-- Sprocket...
Old 10-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
DerekG
Beginner
Points: 604, Level: 12 Points: 604, Level: 12 Points: 604, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

No TBC in my Toaster, But if I understand right...This card combined with a VLab motion would sub for a TBC and a Flyer...at least partially anyway? I have tons of IDE drives laying around...SCSI is harder to get ahold of. This will work in a 2000 ok? And the Toaster?

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
sprocket
Technoid

Quote:
But if I understand right...This card combined with a VLab motion would sub for a TBC and a Flyer...at least partially anyway? I have tons of IDE drives laying around...SCSI is harder to get ahold of. This will work in a 2000 ok? And the Toaster?
Um, no you don't need the Vlab Motion.

You can load sequences of frames (including 24 bit) and play them back in real time.

If you have a sound card you can use it to add sound.

You have to have a DPS TBC IV to capture video in real time.

If you have a Toaster you can run the video through it either going into the PAR via TBC IV or coming out.

Yes, it works fine in the 2000...that's what I had it in and that's what was around most when they came out.

You may have to check a few IDEs...firmware on some would choke. My memory is the 4 gig max issue is a limit for these...but to be honest I can't remember.

-- Sprocket...
Old 10-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
sprocket
Technoid

it's sort of like an early Flyer in that it allowed you to record frames/sequences to a drive.

in that sense, it needs the TBC IV to capture video while the Flyer had it's own built in I believe.

(the Vlab Motion would capture without a TBC as long as the video signal was pretty stable but it was awful about choking on compression when a lot was going on...on screen.)

-- Sprocket...
Old 10-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
DerekG
Beginner

I thought I read somewhere that the VLab will capture without a TBC being necessary, as well as doing Chromakey. DPS is no longer around and I haven't seen any TBC-IV advertised anywhere..not on E-bay anyway. So I was actually thinking the VLab was my best bet.

So to be clear, there is no way to input video into the PAR without the TBC? I am new to alot of this and trying to get a usuable system. Bear with me. I can run video from the PAR into the Toaster without the TBC though? SO that only leaves the question of what to do with Input 1 on the VT...I don't have any studio equipment to generate blackburst.

Thanks again.
DerekG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
Crom00
Defender of the Faith
Points: 11,396, Level: 70 Points: 11,396, Level: 70 Points: 11,396, Level: 70
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

FLyer: Video capture Processing/Audiocapture. REquired a feed from the toastercard. and a TBC input:

TBC-IV: Required by the flyer when capturing from analog videotape. Digital mini-DV tape does not need a TBC, neither does Over the air TV, Cable BOx output when you feed a toaster/Flyer. Anthything with Macrovision protection turned on (VHS rentals, DVD's) have macrovision so you have to run them through a TBC

PAR: Can live in a Toaster FLyer system with a TBC and can feed one of the Toasters inputs. The Par Acts like an extra DDR.. Connecting that old IDE drive may not be as easy as you thihnk. PAR was very picky with the drive requirements.
If you have the AD516 card you can also capture audio too...and sync it with the par.

To be honest the best most economical animation output device for an Amiga animation is a PC with TV out.

Any kind of Amiga animation is done so much easier on a PC or Mac these days. Having this equipment is more nostalgia then functionality.

The flyer, for cuts only and non layer intensive video is really good. It also loved when you feed it digital tape (low to no noise.

Crom00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
DerekG
Beginner

Ok. If you are inputting analog via S-Video, does it still need to be Time Base corrected? Which raises another question...My consumer DVD Burner (Sony RDR-GX255) if I input from that (I have been copying my analog tapes to DVD through the S-Video input on the DVD), will it need TBC? I know none of the Amiga hardware has a digital input, so how does that work? The DVD has RCA, S-Video, Component, and HDMI outputs.

Acts as an extra DDR? I am not familiar with that acronym other than referring to RAM.

Does the TBC eliminate the need for a blackburst generator on #1?

Last question for now...MiniDV doesn't need TBC, but how would you connect it to the Toaster to begin with, with no firewire or USB?

A Lot of stupid questions I know. But Getting my PC to a point of being able to edit as well as a Toaster/Flyer (if I ever get a Flyer) will be expensive. Faster, definitely. 30FPS with no skips not with what I got.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
sprocket
Technoid

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere that the VLab will capture without a TBC being necessary,
yes, it will but it also struggles with compressing things on the fly through the Z bus and can often not keep up.

Quote:
as well as doing Chromakey. DPS is no longer around and I haven't seen any TBC-IV advertised anywhere..not on E-bay anyway.
they do show up sometimes...and if you use automated searches you can sometimes find them in other categories since they could also be used in the DPS rackmount box.

Quote:
So I was actually thinking the VLab was my best bet. So to be clear, there is no way to input video into the PAR without the TBC?
no.

Quote:
I am new to alot of this and trying to get a usuable system. Bear with me. I can run video from the PAR into the Toaster without the TBC though?
yes.

Quote:
SO that only leaves the question of what to do with Input 1 on the VT...I don't have any studio equipment to generate blackburst.
Quote:
Last question for now...MiniDV doesn't need TBC, but how would you connect it to the Toaster to begin with, with no firewire or USB?
um, you might use a Highway or similar USB card to make a connection to a MiniDV cam but I'm not aware of any software that can read those files on the Amiga...but I could be mistaken. Only other way I can think of is to use the composite outputs and digitize as composite 'in' to a Flyer, TBC/PAR or Vlab Motion.

-- Sprocket...
Old 10-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #11
DerekG
Beginner

Does the Flyer have audio input? I can't remember. At any rate, I have been wondering about using an External TBC? Won't help with the PAR I suppose, but I assume it would solve the general issue of needing TBC analog in to the Toaster/Flyer?

Sorry for all teh questionsm, as this is rather confusing at some points. When my Toaster (no Flyer) was hooked up at the TV station, they used the online Linear editor for blackburst and the decks had built in TBCs, if I remember right Unfortunately, using consumer equipment that is not exactly an option. I am just trying to find the least expensive way of getting the job done with some semblance of quality and ease of use.

:headwall: :shrug:
Old 10-19-2008, 03:08 AM   #12
DerekG
Beginner

That thing went quick! Didn't really have time to sleep on it (literally)..gone while I was sleeping.

Oh, well maybe next time.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:21 AM   #13
wawrzon
Defender of the Faith
Points: 9,192, Level: 64 Points: 9,192, Level: 64 Points: 9,192, Level: 64
Activity: 58% Activity: 58% Activity: 58%

thats really cheap, even more with current dollar exchange. actually i thought par cards were once quite expensive? anyhow i have such a system assembled and working here allthough have not found a propper job for it up till now.
wawrzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:57 AM   #14
sprocket
Technoid

Quote:
That thing went quick! Didn't really have time to sleep on it (literally)..gone while I was sleeping.
heh....early bird catches the worm, you snooze you lose...and all that!

PARs come up now and then these days. They aren't usually priced as high as they once were but then nothing is.

"Buy it Now" tends to work really well for listings of items that aren't listed everyday and my experience is if someone sees something they think they want, they snag it quick.

-- Sprocket...
Old 10-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #15
DerekG
Beginner

It's not that I didn't want it, just too steep for my wallet right now, and I always start with a low offer when offering is an option :-). Of course, I wasn't terribly thrilled with the prospect of mono audio either. Guess I'm just spoiled with my Audigy 2 ZS platinum and Adobe Audition.