amiga.org
     
iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:46 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

» Amiga.org » Amiga computer related discussion » General chat about Amiga topics » rights vs preservation

General chat about Amiga topics This forum is for conversations which are specifically "Amiga" related, but don't fit into other categories. Contents of this forum do appear on the main page, unlike Talk About. If a subject appears to be non-related, it will be moved to Talk About.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #21
kamiga
Technoid
Points: 7,501, Level: 57 Points: 7,501, Level: 57 Points: 7,501, Level: 57
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern PA, USA
Posts: 158
Default Re: rights vs preservation

@abbub: Amen brother re: your general attitude towards the situation, MPAA, RIAA, and so on.

@jetracer: re: There is a trend towards licensing vs owning something and I think it sucks. If I buy a music CD (which I haven't in years, out of principle), darn it, I own that CD. If I want to make a copy to listen in my car, I'm going to. If I want to rip it and put in on my ipod, that's what I'm going to. The RIAA actually wants to you to buy multiple copies in this case. The licensing thing gets ridiculous.

@amithony: Amen, I'd release the stuff to public domain too. And some of the companies have actually done that. It's amazing and speaks highly of them. I haven't dug into all the alternatives, but yes, minimig looks pretty cool. Great piece of work.


In general, my beef is with these companies and authors whose livelihoods we supported for a long time. And sure, maybe some didn't become as rich as others, but I'd say most creators with a solid product and decent business plan made money. And so the community PAID for that software to be produced. Sure, we paid after the fact. And sure the company assumed the risk by fronting the money --- but they were rewarded for doing so. So when there is no more money to be made, isn't it time to give that software back to the people who paid for it to be produced??

The other thing that really amazes me is how people can abandon months/years of hard work and have no desire to preserve what they've done. Example: CBS aired a short-lived series in 1983 called "Whiz Kids", which featured young school kids solving crimes with the help of their home-brew computer. It was an attempt to take advantage of the buzz surrounding the movie "War Games." In any event, it only made it one season and was taken off the air. Within the past five years or so, there's been a desire by at least some old fans to have it brought to DVD. Now while there is about zero chance of that happening, someone managed to contact the co-producer of the series. The co-producer said, "Wow. Yes, I remember that show. But I don't have a copy." He even indicated that the original company that produced it is unlikely to have a copy, perhaps jammed in some corner of a warehouse, unlabeled.

Now how does a company, the actors, the producers, the camera men, everyone involved, spend tons of time, money, energy on producing a show across 6 months, and nobody has a copy of the work? To me, it's absurd. It's absurd because these people should have more respect for the work they've done, for what they've produced. Luckily, some evil pirates scanned some VHS tapes in, and have made all 18-episodes available online -- if even in questionable quality.

How can an author write a book, spend hours upon hours writing that book, and at the end of the day not say, "I'm done making money on this, let's give it away online for free." Getting this stuff into PDF couldn't be easier today. I keep mentioning authors because information is the KEY to preserving this technology. Reverse engineering stuff is hard --- original documentation, source code, or info surrounding the product/software/OS/hardware AT THE TIME IT's MADE is extremely valuable.

Thanks for discussion

Keith
kamiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #22
JetRacer
Cult Member
Points: 5,988, Level: 50 Points: 5,988, Level: 50 Points: 5,988, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
JetRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 501
Default Re: rights vs preservation

@ kamiga: well, in that perticular case the music industry have painted itself into a corner where you have the right to unlimited replacements and an obligation to give you a free pirate-protection-free cd if you claim the original didn't play. And the law holds them in a very short leash in this matter. And usually personal-use overule in court (US milage may vary).

Even the music industry realize what morons they were and stopped their anti-piracy protection schemes long ago. But every now and again some record label is blessed with a new idiot CEO presenting a new scheme that he claims will work 100% - until it actually hits the market and inevitably fails. Usually when 50cent thinks it's so pesky that his expensive Alpine multimedia system won't play the disc and the label is once again forced to distribute free unprotected versions.
__________________
*Zap! Zap!* Ha! Take that! *Kabooom!* Hey, that's not fair!
JetRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #23
kamiga
Technoid
Points: 7,501, Level: 57 Points: 7,501, Level: 57 Points: 7,501, Level: 57
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern PA, USA
Posts: 158
Default Re: rights vs preservation

For what it's worth, I managed to contact the producer of the show I mentioned a couple posts back.

I figured I really couldn't complain unless I tried to do something personally about it.

The producer got back to me.

He basically said that although he's tried to get the show put out on DVD that the company that owns the rights (Universal) simply doesn't think it's worth their while. They didn't release a full season to begin with, and they think there's not enough interest.

So SOME people involved in the process DO care. It's just the ones that have the ability to change things -- ie the ones in charge, don't think it's a worthwhile investment.

It's a shame that some larger organizations, like maybe the Library of Congress, or something, can't purchase these items and archive them.

Incidentally, the producer seemed to think that a mailing campaign of a few thousand people signing a petition and submitting it to Universal Home Video would do the trick.

Just a follow up

Keith
kamiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #24
Amithony
Technoid
Points: 5,755, Level: 49 Points: 5,755, Level: 49 Points: 5,755, Level: 49
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 
Amithony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 308
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: rights vs preservation

Quote:
kamiga wrote:
For what it's worth, I managed to contact the producer of the show I mentioned a couple posts back.

Incidentally, the producer seemed to think that a mailing campaign of a few thousand people signing a petition and submitting it to Universal Home Video would do the trick.

Just a follow up

Keith
If only we could do the same for the Amiga to do the trick.
Amithony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #25
Sig999
Technoid
Points: 2,954, Level: 33 Points: 2,954, Level: 33 Points: 2,954, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 153
Default Re: rights vs preservation

Quote:
kamiga wrote:

In general, my beef is with these companies and authors whose livelihoods we supported for a long time. And sure, maybe some didn't become as rich as others, but I'd say most creators with a solid product and decent business plan made money. And so the community PAID for that software to be produced. Sure, we paid after the fact. And sure the company assumed the risk by fronting the money --- but they were rewarded for doing so. So when there is no more money to be made, isn't it time to give that software back to the people who paid for it to be produced??
Although I think that is sucks when something drops off the map and it's no longer supported - I don't agree with your premise.

We didn't pay to have the software produced. We paid for a piece of software that did something we wanted. So the whole concept of 'getting what's owed us' falls down, because nothing is really owed us at all after the fact.

There is no 'retroactively produced something for us' - I work in an industry where I produce things for other people - they come to me and tell me what I am to make for them, and I do it, then I get paid and they walk away with the product, they own it, and they can do with it as they will. It is a work for hire, and it's an agreement made before the fact - never afterwards.

It sucks when someone takes their ball and goes home - but at the end of the day they own the ball and can do with it as they please - even if that means doing nothing with it. I can't steal their ball to continue the game with my mates, no matter how much I want to play it.

Sig999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #26
Amithony
Technoid
Points: 5,755, Level: 49 Points: 5,755, Level: 49 Points: 5,755, Level: 49
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 
Amithony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 308
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: rights vs preservation

Quote:
Sig999 wrote:

Although I think that is sucks when something drops off the map and it's no longer supported - I don't agree with your premise.

We didn't pay to have the software produced. We paid for a piece of software that did something we wanted. So the whole concept of 'getting what's owed us' falls down, because nothing is really owed us at all after the fact.
I guess that means they shouldn't worry too much if the software gets distributed over the internet for FREE. If they are no longer interested, they shouldn't care what happens to the source should they?
Amithony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:20 AM   #27
Sig999
Technoid
Points: 2,954, Level: 33 Points: 2,954, Level: 33 Points: 2,954, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 153
Default Re: rights vs preservation

Quote:
Amithony wrote:
I guess that means they shouldn't worry too much if the software gets distributed over the internet for FREE. If they are no longer interested, they shouldn't care what happens to the source should they?
I guess I mean what I wrote - as for what anyone who wrote and then stopped developing software, I couldn't speak for them now could I?

That's their call to make, and theirs alone. Some folks turn things over to the public domain, others declare it 'abandonware' and let folks copy it to their hearts content.

Others don't - and are quite within their rights to have takedowns issued and whatever else floats their boat. They own the rights - for good, for ill, to do with as they see fit - and no matter how you write it up, that's the alpha to the omega of it.

In the end everyone will do what they want anyway, and that's the way of the world, and to make themselves feel better they'll come up with justifications for their actions.

*shrug*

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The average joe might copy and swap and do whatever.

What the smart joe would do is write their own version to fill the niche.

Then of course theres the other route of trying to ask the holders of the rights if they mind... a few people do that.

Sig999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #28
kamiga
Technoid
Points: 7,501, Level: 57 Points: 7,501, Level: 57 Points: 7,501, Level: 57
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern PA, USA
Posts: 158
Default Re: rights vs preservation

Quote:
Sig999 wrote:

It sucks when someone takes their ball and goes home - but at the end of the day they own the ball and can do with it as they please - even if that means doing nothing with it.
Do you think abandoning a piece of work, or specifically denying others rights to distribute it, does justice to the original effort put into creating it? Assuming the profit potential is gone, as a creator, wouldn't you want to see more people using, enjoying, appreciating your creation? Doesn't that add respect(to you, to your creation) and make your past effort seem more worthwhile?

To me, just knowing that others have appreciated my contributions to the community, is a reward that money could never replace.

Example: Let's say I wrote a book in 1990 on the Atari ST(sorry I can't resist). Outside of that book, I'm a nobody, except in small circles. I've made some money from the book, but the Atari ST went away, and it's no longer published. It's now 18 years later and I'm approached out of the blue, by a well-meaning stranger, who wants to OCR my book, and make it available because a number of ST enthusiasts could really use the material.

I don't know about you, but I'd be jumping up and down for them to do this!! WHY? Because these people UNDERSTAND the value of that information. They appreciate the work I did 18 years ago!! My creation is still relevant!

Doesn't that improve your self-worth? Why not?

Keith
kamiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #29
persia
Desperately needs a life
Points: 20,748, Level: 90 Points: 20,748, Level: 90 Points: 20,748, Level: 90
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
 
persia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,748
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: rights vs preservation

A clearing house that checked with owners of programs and provided copies of programs that the authors agreed to allow distributed would be fine. The issue here is that the owner of the IP has absolute rights when it comes to their software, yeah they can sit on it if they want, but you could provide a site for owners who don't.
persia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #30
Sig999
Technoid
Points: 2,954, Level: 33 Points: 2,954, Level: 33 Points: 2,954, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 153
Default Re: rights vs preservation

Quote:
kamiga wrote:

Do you think abandoning a piece of work, or specifically denying others rights to distribute it, does justice to the original effort put into creating it? Assuming the profit potential is gone, as a creator, wouldn't you want to see more people using, enjoying, appreciating your creation? Doesn't that add respect(to you, to your creation) and make your past effort seem more worthwhile?
I think it has absolutely nothing to do with it. If it's their work, and they choose to abandon it and keep the rights - they can if they choose. It has nothing to do with what *I* think or want. What 'justice' is done to *their* original effort is left up to them - they have numerous choices, but they are theirs to make, irrespective of what decisions you, me, or anyone else wants or thinks is right.

As for the example - well, that's what you'd do... that's your right and your decision. But just because that's what you'd do, or what I'd do, doesn't mean that everyone else has to follow the direction of our compass.

A *real* example would be me telling you what you should do with your creation because it's what *I* want you to do... I have a feeling you'd tell me to sod off - and rightfully so!

Which leaves only one REAL decision, and it's not if what they are doing is wrong or right (because whatever they choose - it's right, for whatever reasons), it's whether others will respect their rights and their decisions.

Sig999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #31
kamiga
Technoid
Points: 7,501, Level: 57 Points: 7,501, Level: 57 Points: 7,501, Level: 57
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern PA, USA
Posts: 158
Default Re: rights vs preservation

@Sig999: I understand your position on the matter completely.

Fortunately, for most people involved, things have a way of naturally taking care of themselves.......

Thanks
kamiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #32
orange
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 19,670, Level: 88 Points: 19,670, Level: 88 Points: 19,670, Level: 88
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
 
orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Yugoslavia
Posts: 2,581
Default Re: rights vs preservation

@Sig999

Quote:
But just because that's what you'd do, or what I'd do, doesn't mean that everyone else has to follow the direction of our compass.
Kant said:
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I could also will that my maxim should become a universal law’
orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
preservation , rights

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Jumpdisk Preservation Project DigitalQ General chat about Amiga topics 4 01-26-2008 07:49 AM
Amiga 1200 preservation: "The Capacitor Menace" gaula92 Amiga Hardware Issues and discussion 0 01-12-2008 03:07 PM
Who currently owns the rights CatHerder Amiga Hardware Issues and discussion 123 11-20-2004 08:10 PM
Couple asm questions (Subr parameter passing, return codes and errors, and register preservation) Jose Amiga OS -- Development 5 04-17-2004 04:26 PM
Amiga Games and preservation CoolCPU Amiga Gaming 17 07-30-2003 12:02 AM