amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:32 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Amiga computer related discussion Amiga Software Issues and Discussion Workbench on UAE

Amiga Software Issues and Discussion This forum exists for the discussion of the use, issues with, and fun brought about by classic and next generation Amiga software.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
irishmike
Cult Member
Points: 6,956, Level: 55 Points: 6,956, Level: 55 Points: 6,956, Level: 55
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Default Workbench on UAE

Hello All:

I have come from general to specific questions regarding the 3.x workbench in AF (Amiga Forever) v6. Again I am trying to familiarize myself with the OS before my newly purchased a3000 arrives and I have figured out fairly everything I may need to know for now for navigation of the GUI.

I am having trouble with screen mode settings. The launchbar thing and backdrop disappear when I set the graphic mode higher. It defaulted to 8 bit and I wanted to use 32 bit (16 million colors) which seems to "break" the workbench backdrop and as I mentioned, looses the launchbar on the bottom. Mostly I am going to plan on using that high color mode and wondered how to fix the display. I have never saved the state on the emulator, so it always defaults back to that 8 bit mode.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Thomas
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 14,751, Level: 78 Points: 14,751, Level: 78 Points: 14,751, Level: 78
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Default Re: Workbench on UAE

The backdrop picture should reappear after the screen has reopened. I don't know the default RAM settings of AF, perhaps you have not enough RAM to load the background picture in 32bit. 32bit needs a lot more RAM than 8bit. You should try to increase the Zorro3 RAM in WinUAE's config. Cloanto have choosen very small values. Set it to 256MB and you'll never have memory problems again. The same applies to RTG memory.

I never figured out how to get the ToolManager dock back after a screen refresh. ToolManager stays running in the background, but there is no option to open the dock bar again. You have to quit and restart it. To quit it run System:Tools/Commodities/Exchange. Look into System:WBStartup for the ToolManager icon and double click it to restart ToolManager.

The easiest way to bypass both problems is to save the screen mode and reboot (in addition to increasing the RAM settings).

Bye,
Thomas
Old 02-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
irishmike
Cult Member
Points: 6,956, Level: 55 Points: 6,956, Level: 55 Points: 6,956, Level: 55
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Default Re: Workbench on UAE

I'll give that a try.

Thanks.