amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:55 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

» Amiga.org » Amiga computer related discussion » General chat about Amiga topics » Dave Haynie (lead engineer of C= Amiga) opinion on Amiga Successors

General chat about Amiga topics This forum is for conversations which are specifically "Amiga" related, but don't fit into other categories. Contents of this forum do appear on the main page, unlike Talk About. If a subject appears to be non-related, it will be moved to Talk About.

Old 01-13-2006, 08:38 PM   #151
A3KOne
Hobbyist
Points: 8,010, Level: 60 Points: 8,010, Level: 60 Points: 8,010, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Default Re: Dave Haynie (lead engineer of C= Amiga) opinion on Amiga Successors

Quote:
Dave speaks a lot of sense, and has done so for years, but no one's listening. Now some - a minority - are starting to ask themselves: "Did we do the right thing? Were we really justified?". Well, it doesn't matter any more. As Mikey_C himself said on AWN: "the train has left the station", and those who made the wrong choice are left sitting on the platform. There are now only two choices left: ( a ) insist that it was the right choice regardless of the mounting evidence that would suggest otherwise, or ( b ) give up, move on and treasure the memories.

If there is a problem, it's too late to fix it.

I agree with all of what you said except for this last part.

One of the things that Hyperion supposedly has done is to rewrite the OS into a language (c?) that is easily portable to other architectures. If this is the case, it may be faster to port to x86 than to wait on someone to finally deliver a viable ppc machine... if they are willing to swallow their pride and do what it takes to make it happen...which I doubt.

One thing I have learned about the Amiga community, it is never too late. I would have thought you all would have gone away 5 years ago.

If they wait another year or two, then I might agree with the summation that it is too late.

I believe it will eventually happen. AmigaOS is not Gem or some other crappy OS...it is too good for it not to happen. It may take another owner or two and the community to completely disolve before one day we see a commercial or a print ad for AmigaOS...Hopefully it will not come to that.
A3KOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:22 AM   #152
coldfish
Cult Member
Points: 7,096, Level: 55 Points: 7,096, Level: 55 Points: 7,096, Level: 55
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

bhoggett, wot he said +1.

If only theyd ported to even a limited number of modern X86 boards, I wouldve gone out the next day bought said board and a copy of OS4 and had myself a AmigaOS-only-PC up and running that day.

I think there are more than a few other Amiga-folk who wouldve too?

To hell with hardware zealotry!

The Amiga cant afford it, anyone carrying on with that old tradition, should be shot down in pieces by the rest of the community for being self indulgent and short sighted.

On the other hand, if obscurity is what the hardcore element wants, they're more than welcome to it, just dont complain that your skills and knowledge are redundant in the modern computing world.
coldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:24 AM   #153
binjinx
Merely Curious
Points: 4,375, Level: 42 Points: 4,375, Level: 42 Points: 4,375, Level: 42
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Oh yea i'd def. been on that boat! (AmigaOS on x86 Laptop, not kludgy PAWS attempt stuff)
binjinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:53 AM   #154
Oliver
Cult Member
Points: 5,656, Level: 48 Points: 5,656, Level: 48 Points: 5,656, Level: 48
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Quote:
coldfish wrote:
I think there are more than a few other Amiga-folk who wouldve too?
I would have. Actually, I probably would have bought a couple. I still would. If it could go on a laptop too, I'd be there, though I know it's not quite the same game.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:45 AM   #155
Hammer
VIP / Donor
Points: 11,529, Level: 70 Points: 11,529, Level: 70 Points: 11,529, Level: 70
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Quote:
bloodline wrote:
Quote:
Nitro wrote:
I wonder what kind of a bussiness path IBM will take. Like you said they could design processors to compete with processors like the Athlon64 and Intel Core Duo. They big question is will they? Bill Gates said that Linux is nothing to worry about, it was IBM.
IBM aren't interested in the desktop (They never really have been!), they recently sold off their PC devision. IBM make "super computers", chips for others (AMD, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo the list is endless) and they sell services...
One problem, IBM Japan is a co-developer of AMD’s Yamato laptop project. IBM jettison its PC division was a good move or trick since it also jettison its related debts.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:34 AM   #156
Waccoon
Defender of the Faith
Points: 8,468, Level: 62 Points: 8,468, Level: 62 Points: 8,468, Level: 62
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
A3KOne: One of the things that Hyperion supposedly has done is to rewrite the OS into a language (c?) that is easily portable to other architectures.
I'm not too sure about that. I have a feeling OS4 is just a bit too PPC friendly, and Hyperion will jump off a cliff to support this one CPU over all others.

Haven't they, already?

Politics ruins everything.

Quote:
One thing I have learned about the Amiga community, it is never too late. I would have thought you all would have gone away 5 years ago.
I think it's too late for an NG platform without starting all over again. The Teron really is a bare system, so it's pretty much a PPC and nothing else. There's not much that can be done from the hardware side of things. As for software... hello? How about a nice, modern OS with a new Workbench? Yeah, I've got your "multiplatform" right here.

I mean, so long as the file system doesn't resemble UNIX. "Send it to /bin" is not my idea of a well-organized system. MacOS X and Be have failed to impress me in this respect. The low-level interfaces are still obviously just UNIX clones. We should be going beyond that, like, using good old Volumes again, instead of mount points.

Waccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:37 AM   #157
Fats
Cult Member
Points: 10,073, Level: 67 Points: 10,073, Level: 67 Points: 10,073, Level: 67
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Quote:
A3KOne wrote:
It appears that Aros may have created yet another faction that does not want any future for Amiga unless it is of their design. At least that I what I get from some of the posts.
Maybe this is true for some vocal part of the AROS users. (Like people with blood in their nickname :-D). I'm a developer working on the build system of AROS and in the future I would want to use this work to make it easier to make programs running on all amiga-like systems, of course if time permits.
I also own an A1 and develop for AROS. I happily use both. Other AROS devs are doing the same with Pegasos.

greets,
Staf.
Fats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:38 AM   #158
bloodline
Master Sock Abuser
Points: 38,946, Level: 100 Points: 38,946, Level: 100 Points: 38,946, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Quote:
Fats wrote:
Quote:
A3KOne wrote:
It appears that Aros may have created yet another faction that does not want any future for Amiga unless it is of their design. At least that I what I get from some of the posts.
Maybe this is true for some vocal part of the AROS users. (Like people with blood in their nickname :-D). I'm a developer working on the build system of AROS and in the future I would want to use this work to make it easier to make programs running on all amiga-like systems, of course if time permits.
I also own an A1 and develop for AROS. I happily use both. Other AROS devs are doing the same with Pegasos.

greets,
Staf.
Hey Staf, you know that I would buy an x86 version of AOS4, I've said it a few times on the mailing list :-D