amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:03 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Amiga computer related discussion General chat about Amiga topics Old Amiga Magazines

General chat about Amiga topics This forum is for conversations which are specifically "Amiga" related, but don't fit into other categories. Contents of this forum do appear on the main page, unlike Talk About. If a subject appears to be non-related, it will be moved to Talk About.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #1
gizz72
Cult Member
Points: 12,793, Level: 73 Points: 12,793, Level: 73 Points: 12,793, Level: 73
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Default Old Amiga Magazines

Greetings,

As I clean my basement the other day, I found my box full of my old Amiga Magazine(Amazing Computing, Amiga World and some RUN). It's funny but I kind of stop what I'm doing bend down and read them again. That would take me an hour or two before I snap out of it and remember I need to attend to something else. It still gives me that smile once in awhile at the same time sadness and bitterness about their amiga-ads that once written there or the publication it used to circulate before. . . I used to read them endlessly, but, of course it's old it dies down. Not the same feeling as a new one would give. Anyone here still reads old mags(that is if you haven't sold them yet)?

Regards,

GiZz72

MARGE - P3 DellOptiplex 220; 225 MB; Dual Partitioned WinXpSP3 and IcarosDesktopv1.4.x
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB '030 w/ 32MB + DataFlyer HDD
ASPIREOne D270 + Sata SSD 512GB - Hosted AROSAspireone but it is very slow.
gizz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
b41d3r
Hobbyist
Points: 1,819, Level: 25 Points: 1,819, Level: 25 Points: 1,819, Level: 25
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Default Re: Old Amiga Magazines

Hi,

I know someone who would be interested to get a scan of your old mags, look at here : http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/
As for me, even if I tend to keep everything I can, I admit that computers mags were the first on the fly to garbage.
Yet, some time ago, I found on price minister a complete collection of the first programming mag I had in hand.
When I got it and read it, it was so weird to recall pictures and articles from the depth of my memory.It was like a flash of past coming into my mind.
It was a french mag principally devoted to pocket computers (Sharp, Casio, etc ...) but gave me the curiosity of learning programmation.
It showed too how costly were the computers at this time, and how fortunate we are now to get the old computers of our dream for nothing or so !
b41d3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Matt_H
VIP / Donor
Points: 24,044, Level: 94 Points: 24,044, Level: 94 Points: 24,044, Level: 94
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

The old magazines are a fantastic resource. In addition to the historical perspective, I always appreciate learning about forgotten programs, tools, or techniques that haven't become widely known in the internet era.
Matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
save2600
Premium Member
Points: 19,119, Level: 87 Points: 19,119, Level: 87 Points: 19,119, Level: 87
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Send a message via Yahoo to save2600

Ditto. I get a lot of enjoyment out of reading my old mags. Have nearly a complete set of AmigaWorld and Amazing Computing and have been really getting back into Compute! these days too. Vic, C64, TI, ST, Amiga, Apple - loads of fun re-reading peoples input/probs/complaints/tips, the games that could be typed in and just the general enthusiastic attitude everyone had back then regarding this particular hobby. Really takes me back to when times were much better that way. I cherish my mag collections as much as I do the rest of the hardware and software I collect.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
orb85750
Defender of the Faith
Points: 15,613, Level: 80 Points: 15,613, Level: 80 Points: 15,613, Level: 80
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

@gizz72

Well said. Yes, I still read them now and then -- and I think I have a tear in my eye at times. :-(
orb85750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
MobbyG
Occupy Amiga
Points: 11,490, Level: 70 Points: 11,490, Level: 70 Points: 11,490, Level: 70

I came across some of my old Amiga World mags sometime ago and spent a good 45 minutes to an hour reading through them. I miss getting them in the mail and sitting down in front of my Amiga 500 and reading it and dreaming of havig more money to buy all the goodies.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
Digiman
Defender of the Faith
Points: 6,596, Level: 53 Points: 6,596, Level: 53 Points: 6,596, Level: 53
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Although I have just about every magazine ever scanned (many now lost because sites went down) there's nothing like having real magazines to read. The earlier the better.
Digiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
amigadave
Lifetime Member
Points: 21,651, Level: 92 Points: 21,651, Level: 92 Points: 21,651, Level: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobbyG View Post
I came across some of my old Amiga World mags sometime ago and spent a good 45 minutes to an hour reading through them. I miss getting them in the mail and sitting down in front of my Amiga 500 and reading it and dreaming of havig more money to buy all the goodies.
+1,000,000

There was nothing like waiting for all those great Amiga magazines and drooling over the dozens of pages of paid advertising for all those Amiga peripherals that I couldn't quite afford at the time (but ended up getting most of them second hand later).

I would read those magazines over and over again within the first few weeks of getting them. It was a very sad day when they stopped publishing many of my favorite Amiga magazines. I still enjoy reading them now (specially since my alzhiemer's is kicking in, it makes them like new reading again) and I am still trying to complete my collection of many different Amiga and Video Toaster/Flyer related magazines, so if anyone has magazines they want to sell (or give away), please contact me.

I don't need a lot more magazines to complete my collection, as I probably have close to 1,000 magazines already, but you might have some that I am missing. It is good to see that many people are preserving magazines online, so that valuable info is not lost completely over time. I hope that is is always being done with proper permission of the publishers.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:31 AM   #9
OlafS3
Lifetime Member
Points: 6,801, Level: 54 Points: 6,801, Level: 54 Points: 6,801, Level: 54
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

I have the permission to scan and distribute the "Amiga Magazin". It was well known in Germany. Perhaps other here get permissions for "English" magazines too. It is a great source for tips. courses ...
OlafS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Erebos
Beginner
Points: 5,129, Level: 45 Points: 5,129, Level: 45 Points: 5,129, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafS3 View Post
I have the permission to scan and distribute the "Amiga Magazin". It was well known in Germany. Perhaps other here get permissions for "English" magazines too. It is a great source for tips. courses ...
I really would like if some scans of "Amiga Magazin" have been made. Can't find any on the Web ;-(
Erebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:02 AM   #11
miggymac
Merely Curious
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1

Smile Re: Old Amiga Magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafS3 View Post
Would be very nice to have this fantastic magazine preserved for the future... I was searching for them for years now, without success. If you finish scanning them and bring them online for all, you'll be my god forever
miggymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:15 AM   #12
basquemactee
Merely Curious
Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1

My first post here and already I'm begging for a bit of help............apologies to all!!

Does anyone have any other links to Amiga Format mag downloads as i'm desperately trying to get the full collection. I've looked at AMR (good site) but they're not the full ones, and various others like bombjack etc., but I'm still missing a shedload.

Thanks!!
basquemactee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Vlabguy1
Cult Member
Points: 12,493, Level: 73 Points: 12,493, Level: 73 Points: 12,493, Level: 73
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizz72 View Post
Greetings,

As I clean my basement the other day, I found my box full of my old Amiga Magazine(Amazing Computing, Amiga World and some RUN). It's funny but I kind of stop what I'm doing bend down and read them again. That would take me an hour or two before I snap out of it and remember I need to attend to something else. It still gives me that smile once in awhile at the same time sadness and bitterness about their amiga-ads that once written there or the publication it used to circulate before. . . I used to read them endlessly, but, of course it's old it dies down. Not the same feeling as a new one would give. Anyone here still reads old mags(that is if you haven't sold them yet)?

Regards,

GiZz72
Just yesterday I was looking for the title to my car and got distracted with an Amiga World 1994( RoboCop on the cover) I put it aside and later I read the article " WarpEngine Vs. G-Force 040" ... ha even came across a few things I circled in pen on few adverts of things I wanted. .

Rich
Vlabguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote