Amiga.org

Amiga.org (http://www.amiga.org/forums/index.php)
-   Amiga Hardware News (http://www.amiga.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Draco Casablanca on eBay. (http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64711)

slaapliedje 04-20-2013 07:29 PM

Draco Casablanca on eBay.

How odd that I was just reading about this thing, kind of a custom / clone of an Amiga (4000?)

Then BAM, I see one on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Draco-Casabl...item2a2bb284dd

Pretty cool, there aren't any takers, and I don't have spare cash sitting around, but I figured it should go to a real fan rather than some random person.

slaapliedje

dannyp1 04-21-2013 06:15 AM

Re: Draco Casablanca on eBay.

It appears to be the 040 and not the 060. People have been finding out that it really has no use other than it's exact intended purpose and there are many faster and easier ways available now to accomplish that task. No easy or practical way to turn it into an "Amiga". I considered getting it for a moment but I have enough door stops around the house already.

slaapliedje 04-21-2013 08:25 AM

That was kind of the thought I had on it as well. That the only use would probably be a few spare parts (not sure if the processor is soldered in or socketed) but at least there is memory. Or even maybe a raspberry pi project..

slaapliedje

AmigaClassicRule 04-21-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyp1 (Post 732487)
It appears to be the 040 and not the 060. People have been finding out that it really has no use other than it's exact intended purpose and there are many faster and easier ways available now to accomplish that task. No easy or practical way to turn it into an "Amiga". I considered getting it for a moment but I have enough door stops around the house already.

So other than what it was made for...this cannot turn into an Amiga system (where the limitation of CHIP RAM is removed and can see 128 MB of CHIP RAM)?

Akiko 04-21-2013 12:27 PM

This is what passes for news, really?!?

psxphill 04-21-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigaClassicRule (Post 732498)
So other than what it was made for...this cannot turn into an Amiga system (where the limitation of CHIP RAM is removed and can see 128 MB of CHIP RAM)?

It doesn't have any chip ram at all.

They used RTG graphics (I think the earlier ones were based on cybergraphx but I don't know about this one), so you might be ok to run some workbench stuff on it.

I know some people have struggled to get anything copied onto it and the hard drive isn't readable on an Amiga.

VingtTrois 04-22-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akiko (Post 732507)
This is what passes for news, really?!?

+1

Oldsmobile_Mike 04-22-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VingtTrois (Post 732611)
+1

+1 again. Had to be some kind of posting error, right?

slaapliedje 04-22-2013 05:41 PM

Well, it's hardware... and newly available through backwater deals.. so hardware.. news...

At least this is in the semi-right section. There was a post about a licensing of kickstart to Individual computers that was in Software News. While Kickstarts are on the fence of hardware/software there were announcements of new Hardware in that thread, so it belongs in the Hardware News, not software.

I was going to put the thread somewhere else, but since it was about Hardware, I figured I'd put it here.

I wasn't aware of anyone having any luck one way or another of converting the Draco into an actual Amiga.

And it's not like this forum has an overabundance of posts that 'oh my god, one more random thing from eBay! How can we handle the load!?'

AmigaClassicRule 04-22-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldsmobile_Mike (Post 732614)
+1 again. Had to be some kind of posting error, right?

With full honesty? Mine was a genuine 100% an error. Completely unintentional. Till this day and time I am surprised it passed through the filter.

magnetic 04-22-2013 07:16 PM

And this is a news item why?

slaapliedje 04-22-2013 07:19 PM

Meh, have a mod move it into the hardware discussions then. It's not like it'll hurt my feelings. I agree, probably shouldn't have been put in 'News'.

slaapliedje