Amiga.org

Amiga.org (http://www.amiga.org/forums/index.php)
-   General chat about Amiga topics (http://www.amiga.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   AmigaOne is out of my budget league (http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63507)

AmigaClassicRule 12-04-2012 06:52 PM

AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
AmigaOne X1000 is sold for 1,846.78 GBP or 2,269.62 EUR in AmigaKit. Isn't this a little bit too high for a computer?

Does this apply again to the very little market toward it kinda thing? I mean it cost $2973.05 US. With that price I can get the top of a line latest up to date gaming laptop!!


lassie 12-04-2012 07:01 PM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigaClassicRule (Post 717537)
AmigaOne X1000 is sold for 1,846.78 GBP or 2,269.62 EUR in AmigaKit. Isn't this a little bit too high for a computer?

Does this apply again to the very little market toward it kinda thing? I mean it cost $2973.05 US. With that price I can get the top of a line latest up to date gaming laptop!!

What, are an AmigaOne so pricey? That is quite some money, it sure must can do a lot of things.

Tripitaka 12-04-2012 07:12 PM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigaClassicRule (Post 717537)
AmigaOne X1000 is sold for 1,846.78 GBP or 2,269.62 EUR in AmigaKit. Isn't this a little bit too high for a computer?

Does this apply again to the very little market toward it kinda thing? I mean it cost $2973.05 US. With that price I can get the top of a line latest up to date gaming laptop!!

Ssshhh...... ..no need to shout.

lassie 12-04-2012 07:16 PM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripitaka (Post 717539)
Ssshhh...... ..no need to shout.

Yes you are right :) But are that a normal price? almost 3000 dollars for an AmigaOne?

Kesa 12-04-2012 07:17 PM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripitaka (Post 717539)
Ssshhh...... ..no need to shout.

If i recall correctly AmigaClassicRule has serious eye problems.

lassie 12-04-2012 07:19 PM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kesa (Post 717542)
If i recall correctly AmigaClassicRule has serious eye problems.

Maybe he has lost his glasses ;)

save2600 12-04-2012 07:33 PM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
ACR must be really, really, really young. Overpaying for Amiga gear since the 90's is an Amigan family tradition! :lol:

Tripitaka 12-04-2012 07:41 PM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kesa (Post 717542)
If i recall correctly AmigaClassicRule has serious eye problems.

I was unaware of this. I have a partially sighted daughter so that's not something I would use for laughs.

AmigaClassicRule 12-04-2012 08:08 PM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripitaka (Post 717545)
I was unaware of this. I have a partially sighted daughter so that's not something I would use for laughs.

Actually I am wearing glasses. But that font was not intentionally, it is result of copying and pasting price from XE currency converter website that did affect the font. However, let us return back to topic in hands.

AmigaClassicRule 12-04-2012 08:13 PM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by save2600 (Post 717544)
ACR must be really, really, really young. Overpaying for Amiga gear since the 90's is an Amigan family tradition! :lol:


Maybe so, but 3k for an Amiga is a little overkill. I mean call me crazy, but I am willing to pay 5K if it have the same amount of developers and software library as Linux community...and I am serious too. But since that is not the case...3K is too much.

lassie 12-04-2012 08:18 PM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigaClassicRule (Post 717549)
Maybe so, but 3k for an Amiga is a little overkill. I mean call me crazy, but I am willing to pay 5K if it have the same amount of developers and software library as Linux community...and I am serious too. But since that is not the case...3K is too much.

I will take an Amiga 3000T to 1000 dollars instead if it was me. I have seen them in that price range.

AmigaClassicRule 12-04-2012 08:22 PM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lassie (Post 717550)
I will take an Amiga 3000T to 1000 dollars instead if it was me. I have seen them in that price range.

So you will buy an Amiga 3000 T over AOne?

lassie 12-04-2012 08:25 PM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigaClassicRule (Post 717553)
So you will buy an Amiga 3000 T over AOne?

Yes maybe it is because i have always wanted an Amiga 3000T. Some say Commodore was at there prime when they released it, and it looks quite nice too, and there are not to many of them around. So it is a collector item.

AmigaClassicRule 12-04-2012 08:26 PM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lassie (Post 717554)
Yes maybe it is because i have always wanted an Amiga 3000T. Some say Commodore was at there prime when they released it, and it looks quite nice too, and there are not to many of them around. So it is a collector item.

A3000T is sexy, no objection there. Go for it. :biglaugh:

lassie 12-04-2012 08:27 PM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigaClassicRule (Post 717555)
A3000T is sexy, no objection there. Go for it. :biglaugh:

Yes but i will have to save up for it first :)

Duce 12-04-2012 11:47 PM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Yes, that's the price. Yes, it's high - excessively so if you ask me.

That being said, there's a number of cheaper options if you are interested in new OS4 hardware. SAM 460 boards are about 600 euros or so, the 440 boards cheaper yet.

spirantho 12-05-2012 12:51 AM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
The reason the price is so high is because it costs so much to make.
The X1000 was designed from the start to be the fastest new PowerPC hardware for AmigaOS, and that meant using very expensive components. like the pa6t. This was deliberate because the Sams already covered the low and mid range of the hardware range.
Trust me, they're not getting rich off this.
Luckily it's been selling better than expected. :)

slayer 12-05-2012 01:10 AM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by spirantho (Post 717568)
Luckily it's been selling better than expected. :)

:banana:

Digiman 12-05-2012 03:55 AM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lassie (Post 717554)
Yes maybe it is because i have always wanted an Amiga 3000T. Some say Commodore was at there prime when they released it, and it looks quite nice too, and there are not to many of them around. So it is a collector item.

The case design department certainly wasn't on top form that year lol

That is easily the ugliest Amiga EVER made, it makes even the melted Commodore 128 looking Amiga 500 almost nice to look at :) Looks like a rubbish 80386 tower PCm the Commodore 486 looks more Amiga than the Amiga 3000T does. Compared to the gorgeous A3000 desktop you have to ask WTF happened to classy elegant design?

The price for the AmigaONE X1000 is a product of using old technology at it's fastest speed. The way things are going there will be seriously faster mobile phone/tablet CPUs costing pennies not too far off.

The only choice for X1000 was the Xenon CPU from IBM, everything else was going to cost way too much. Luckily the SAM 460 @ 1000 GBP is just as overpriced on /mhz :)

lassie 12-05-2012 04:12 AM

Re: AmigaOne is out of my budget league
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigaClassicRule (Post 717548)
Actually I am wearing glasses. But that font was not intentionally, it is result of copying and pasting price from XE currency converter website that did affect the font. However, let us return back to topic in hands.

It was only meant to be a joke, that maybe you had lost your glasses. I use glasses myself.

What Amigas do you have now?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Amiga.org & logo copyright © 2014 A-EON Technology Ltd
The forums were originally created by Wayne Hunt