Amiga.org

Amiga.org (http://www.amiga.org/forums/index.php)
-   Amiga News and Community Announcements (http://www.amiga.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Commodore trademark has a new daddy (http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60166)

SysAdmin 12-29-2011 11:13 PM

Commodore trademark has a new daddy

News from digitex via http://www.commodore-amiga.org/

http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/fo...-daddy--#11229

(News article from site reprinted below for your convenience)

After months of hard work and international legal filings, I am thrilled to finally announce that Commodore Holdings (C Holdings), which is the corporate entity that owns and holds the trademark IP "Commodore" is no longer a part of or a division of Asiarim Corp. The stock in Commodore Holdings was pledged as collateral years ago, and 100% ownership of that company is now in the hands of a new group (wonder who that can be?). Additionally, a ruling came down this afternoon from the Netherlands court that has formally put Commodore Licensing B.V. into involuntary bankruptcy. This bankruptcy proceeding was initiated by this same group. Asiarim and whatever else is left of it will shortly be following suit. The Netherlands court will be appointing a receiver for the bankrupt parties within the next day or two.

Stay tuned for the further adventures of Commodore USA.....and btw, this news has NOTHING to do with our major announcements that will be forthcoming shortly.

Happy New Year everyone. I wish each and every one of you, our customers, supporters and forum members, health and happiness in 2012.

Barry

tasmanian guy 12-29-2011 11:49 PM

Re: Commodore trademark has a new daddy

What new major announcement?

So Commodore is no longer Commodore USA?

I am so confused in this whole saga. One of the best computers ever released hardly gets a mention in any of the retrobooks I've been reading of late. They just focus on Apple, IBM, Atari, Sega, Nintendo it was as if the Amiga never happened....perhaps it is just a dream and I'll wake up to find Bobby Ewing in my shower!

Kesa 12-30-2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transition (Post 673538)
News from digitex via http://www.commodore-amiga.org/

http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/fo...-daddy--#11229

After months of hard work and international legal filings, I am thrilled to finally announce that Commodore Holdings (C Holdings), which is the corporate entity that owns and holds the trademark IP "Commodore" is no longer a part of or a division of Asiarim Corp. The stock in Commodore Holdings was pledged as collateral years ago, and 100% ownership of that company is now in the hands of a new group (wonder who that can be?). Additionally, a ruling came down this afternoon from the Netherlands court that has formally put Commodore Licensing B.V. into involuntary bankruptcy. This bankruptcy proceeding was initiated by this same group. Asiarim and whatever else is left of it will shortly be following suit. The Netherlands court will be appointing a receiver for the bankrupt parties within the next day or two.

Stay tuned for the further adventures of Commodore USA.....and btw, this news has NOTHING to do with our major announcements that will be forthcoming shortly.

Happy New Year everyone. I wish each and every one of you, our customers, supporters and forum members, health and happiness in 2012.

Barry

This implies that Transition is really Barry? I hope this isn't true.

Yeah i don't understand the saga either but I'm hoping this will mean CUSA will be worse off and not gain from it. They are not worthy of getting more than what they already have. Exactly what does this mean.

As for the big announcement, do we get a prize if we guess what it is? Don't expect me to reply to anything you say as i'm shunning you until you prove you are not Barry/digitex :razz:

Krischan76 12-30-2011 12:51 AM

@CUSA/C=: Unlaid eggs. Nothing substantial so far.

JJ 12-30-2011 01:37 AM

Well I read that to mean that CUSA now own the commodore trademarks and IP rather than just having a licence to use them.

Tension 12-30-2011 03:20 AM

So the trademarks are now officially owned by Nicholas then? This is excellent news! Thank goodness for that, someone we can actually trust for once.

hooligan 12-30-2011 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasmanian guy (Post 673541)
perhaps it is just a dream and I'll wake up to find Bobby Ewing in my shower!

Which is why one should have a camera at hand all the time, even when taking a shower.

Terminills 12-30-2011 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kesa (Post 673542)

Yeah i don't understand the saga either but I'm hoping this will mean CUSA will be worse off and not gain from it. They are not worthy of getting more than what they already have. Exactly what does this mean.

it means they own the IP now. As for being worse off don't count on it.

digitex 12-30-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kesa (Post 673542)

As for the big announcement, do we get a prize if we guess what it is? Don't expect me to reply to anything you say as i'm shunning you until you prove you are not Barry/digitex :razz:

Well, we got 'mo!
On Dec 22, 2011 Commodore USA, LLC and Amiga Inc. signed a new contract granting us EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE rights to ALL format computers branded with the Amiga trademark IP. These registered trademarked logos include the BOING Ball, TIC/Check mark, letter A and the word AMIGA logos. Form factors include, but are not limited to Desktop, HTPC, Tower AIO/ Keyboard etc. This contract will run through Dec 31, 2018, with optional renewals. Additionally we have been granted the right to enforce the Amiga trademark IP, in instances where we feel the trademark property has been either used in an unauthorized manner or in a form not allowed under current international and US law. We look forward to releasing our initial Commodore Amiga branded computers beginning by the end of the first quarter 2012.

EDanaII 12-30-2011 08:00 AM

Personally, I won't buy it unless it has an Amiga-like OS on it. But that't me and my narrow-minded views of what an Amiga is...

spirantho 12-30-2011 08:01 AM

It's good that all the Commodore and Amiga branding is united under one roof again.....

.. as long as the names aren't just used to stick on generic PCs as leverage to sell machines anyway.

Everblue 12-30-2011 08:02 AM

Most probably it will be 10 games in a joystick kind of thing.

Krischan76 12-30-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitex (Post 673599)
Additionally we have been granted the right to enforce the Amiga trademark IP, in instances where we feel the trademark property has been either used in an unauthorized manner or in a form not allowed under current international and US law.

This may turn out to be the Devil's hoof for some, I'm afraid.

digitex 12-30-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krischan76 (Post 673605)
This may turn out to be the Devil's hoof for some, I'm afraid.

????????

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...l's%20hoof

Krischan76 12-30-2011 08:22 AM

Oh crap - I translated from my native language directly without consulting a dictionary. Funny meaning still.

dammy 12-30-2011 08:38 AM

http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/fo...end-2011#11285

commodorejohn 12-30-2011 08:38 AM

Oh, huzzah, now the PC clones can have stickers on them without paying a licensing fee. HUZZAH, I SAY.

Matt_H 12-30-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitex (Post 673599)
Well, we got 'mo!
On Dec 22, 2011 Commodore USA, LLC and Amiga Inc. signed a new contract granting us EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE rights to ALL format computers branded with the Amiga trademark IP. These registered trademarked logos include the BOING Ball, TIC/Check mark, letter A and the word AMIGA logos. Form factors include, but are not limited to Desktop, HTPC, Tower AIO/ Keyboard etc. This contract will run through Dec 31, 2018, with optional renewals. Additionally we have been granted the right to enforce the Amiga trademark IP, in instances where we feel the trademark property has been either used in an unauthorized manner or in a form not allowed under current international and US law. We look forward to releasing our initial Commodore Amiga branded computers beginning by the end of the first quarter 2012.

Uh, given that Amiga Inc.'s own ownership of those things is in question, you may have have just bought a bridge in Brooklyn...

Amiga_Nut 12-30-2011 09:10 AM

This is an absolute disaster for the community.

The C64x, the most ambitious of all Commodore USA products, is to put it bluntly the bare minimum. The keyboard has no PETSCII decals, is less contoured than the original, there is no way to use ANY C64 related peripherals under emulation (be it real 9 pin joysticks or 1541 replacement SD drives), does not come with a decent OS and is so over priced it makes Alienware PCs look cheap.

Leave it.

spihunter 12-30-2011 09:57 AM

Enjoy the Amiga curse!. You guys deserve it more then anyone!. I give you 6 months tops.