Amiga.org

Amiga.org (http://www.amiga.org/forums/index.php)
-   Amiga News and Community Announcements (http://www.amiga.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kickstart ROM Replacement (Phase II) Assigned (http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55226)

deadwood 11-08-2010 12:23 PM

Kickstart ROM Replacement (Phase II) Assigned

While Jason McMullan is already providing first results of Phase I bounty, the Phase II of the Kickstart ROM Replacement bounty has just been assigned to Toni Wilen. The Phase II aims at improving the Phase I results to make AROS binary compatible with AmigaOS 3.1 m68k software. Toni Willen is the maintainer of WinUAE and has already commited significant work to Phase I. The deadline date for the bounty is 31st March 2011.

The bounty page is available here: http://www.power2people.org/projects/profile/6

Please remember that the bounty is still open to donations, so you can support Toni's efforts!

Heiroglyph 11-08-2010 02:51 PM

Re: Kickstart ROM Replacement (Phase II) Assigned

If Toni can't ring up a few thousand for this after all he's done for the community over the years, we're a pretty sad group.

haywirepc 11-08-2010 03:33 PM

This is fantastic news...

No schedule and rockin' That sure beats vaporware, empty promises and no deliveries ever.

Between this and all the other developments going on, Aros is getting (or staying) exciting! Between this and UAE integration thats already working quite nicely, PLUS catweasel support, plus the new 3d graphics, I think aros will be a fantastic amiga ng experience. (it already is if you ask me!)

I haven't got a catweasel yet, but I will soon, and I can't wait to be able to read and write amiga floppies on my aros box. That plus everything else thats going on with aros, is very cool. I hope they can port firefox and openoffice too. I'd still like to buy a mac for morphos though...

Aros is fast becoming everything I hoped for out of amithlon, but better.
My sincere thanks to all that have contributed.

Steven

cv643d 11-08-2010 04:36 PM

I agree! :)

VingtTrois 11-09-2010 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadwood (Post 590369)
While Jason McMullan is already providing first results of Phase I bounty, the Phase II of the Kickstart ROM Replacement bounty has just been assigned to Toni Wilen. The Phase II aims at improving the Phase I results to make AROS binary compatible with AmigaOS 3.1 m68k software. Toni Willen is the maintainer of WinUAE and has already commited significant work to Phase I. The deadline date for the bounty is 31st March 2011.

The bounty page is available here: http://www.power2people.org/projects/profile/6

Please remember that the bounty is still open to donations, so you can support Toni's efforts!

Hi,
I'm a donator now! :)
Thank you to everyone working on this project.

JJ 11-09-2010 03:15 AM

Its childish I know "with a screen capture again provided from Michals tool."

Michals tool lol :)

fishy_fiz 11-09-2010 04:30 AM

@JJ

hehe,... what a difference 2 letter can make (OF/FrOm). :)

@thread
Great news, 68k aros is steaming ahead lately :)

hardlink 11-09-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heiroglyph (Post 590398)
If Toni can't ring up a few thousand for this after all he's done for the community over the years, we're a pretty sad group.

We may be anyway :) , but I just donated, and hope other donors get motivated.

Heiroglyph 11-09-2010 10:24 AM

Awesome, thanks!

I just gave all I could to the Phase 1 bounty, but before Phase 2 is done, I'll hit that one too.

deadwood 11-09-2010 10:39 AM

Thanks to all who donate! The bounty already grew by $100 :)

amigadave 11-09-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardlink (Post 590503)
We may be anyway :) , but I just donated, and hope other donors get motivated.

Yes, the Amiga community and all of it's splintered branches are certainly not what we used to be, very sad.

But, that being said, I also donated more than I could really afford to this bounty, as I think it is worth the money and effort and will benefit the long term survival and/or growth of all Amiga flavors, or maybe it will only benefit AROS users (which I am not one of ......... yet).

I trust Toni to do a great job which was a motivating factor to donate without any hesitation.

Heiroglyph 11-09-2010 03:24 PM

I know that AROS has helped Morphos and possibly OS4 too.

It seems like a good investment all around.

Darrin 11-09-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 590458)
Its childish I know "with a screen capture again provided from Michals tool."

Michals tool lol :)

LOL. A "cock-cam".

Suddenly I feel the need to watch a Carry On film. :D

JJ 11-10-2010 02:54 AM

Sid James was a god

wawrzon 11-10-2010 06:53 AM

contributed again to both phases.

Franko 11-10-2010 07:04 AM

Serious question here...

Being new to the internet I'd never hear of these 'bountys' before and have been wondering why are they needed. As to me if I were write or develop a program for the Amiga I would never think of asking anyone for money just for me to do so.

So I'm left wondering why are donations needed and what is the money used for, if someone could explain to me why, then I may consider donating myself to such projects... :)

vidarh 11-10-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franko (Post 590719)
So I'm left wondering why are donations needed and what is the money used for, if someone could explain to me why, then I may consider donating myself to such projects... :)

They're not so much "needed" as they are extra encouragement to get people to tackle pieces of work they'd otherwise not have sufficient motivation to do.

People pick up and do the fun tasks or the things they need fixed themselves all the time without caring about the bounties. But a lot of what needs doing in large projects like AROS is boring drudge work that may not directly benefit the developers that are best suited to do it all that much, or they're just too big.

bloodline 11-10-2010 08:03 AM

I'll echo what vidarh said and add hat they are also a good way to show your appreciation for the work undertaken to add specific functionality to the project. There are lots of (indeed most of) parts of AROS that have been developed simply as a labour of love by a particular developer, without the motivation of a bounty.

haywirepc 11-10-2010 08:47 AM

The money is used to purchase the crystal meth and cocaine that it takes to code for 48 hour marathons. Some bounty takers also buy pizza and beer.

Others buy asian hookers. I say, whatever it takes to keep them coding and motivated, I'm happy to contribute.

Steven

wawrzon 11-10-2010 08:47 AM

@franko:
im not a big fan of bounties neither, but such bounties that are assigned from the start to trusty active developers are worth donating if only to recognize their efforts. the bounties are not supposed to cover the costs, not even such well donated ones as firefox i think. besides this is maybe a sad example as there obviously wasnt deliverd anything worth mention not even enough feedback on development status for about a year. not to speak of the time before. kickstart bounty has been stalled too for a long time in the past. but there are other examples. chris hodges completed his own bounty to port his usb stack to aros in shortest time. i think with tony willen, the autor of winuae, we might expect the best.